Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Other than potentially selling down the road and having to splin' yoself to another potential buyer abt why the SM box looks tortured/beat to hell.

Guess it's not a big deal, still missing heatsinks (next day or two) to test but it looks fine. You can clearly see on the antistatic bag where a significant amt of force was exerted/rubbed on the edge of mobo where the 'compression incident' happened.

Guess I'll just be thankful that nothing visually 'looks' broke and not rattling pieces in box.

Last edited:

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Can't see how this is legal. Who warranty's the board? SM or the re seller/distributor?
SM will use the warranty from their date of sale (which is not yours). I was quite surprised. It almost makes me think you are best to deal with one of the smaller more hands on retailers e.g. WiredZone or SuperBiiz as they usually submit the RMA for you.

Last edited:

StopDropRoll

Oct 29, 2014
Love my current system, the IPMI is amazing compared to my DCS6005 cluster. Because the chassis is 3u, I will definitely have to figure out a different cooling configuration. The dual intel 2670's go from habitable to harrier quite easily. I'm using modular shelving so I could possibly go with 4u active coolers, or I could look at the type that use heat pipes to place the fan directly on top of the processor.

Any suggestions?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
It's honestly pretty "normal" that even though boards are sold as "new" that you aren't actually getting any warranty. This is likely because the boards being sold by the sellers were already purchased once from SM by some random company, either the IT firm/other business that sold off the liquidated boards, or whoemever.

You guys are forgetting, these guys aren't really re-sellers, and, especially aren't authorized SM retailers(that's not to say they can't sell boards secondhand, though). While they both arguably and literally fall under the definition of being re-sellers, what most of these people are are asset liquidators. They get the gear super cheap via auction or some other channel where the gear first belonged to someone else and "recycle" it to new buyers in these markets.

The boards that DO have full warranty cost the MSRP and state "Full Mfg. WARRANTY!!!" in the listing title.

By the way, I got 5 of those X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD for 210 each, but, it was a pain. I think I'm the first guy to have spotted them. As soon as the listing went up I sent an offer and then the next day called them directly asking about i/o shields. The first time the boards were listed they were 225 or 245 /ea FS, dont remember, so I offered 135 for 5. Called, guy said no way, might be able to do 190/ea...I was like okay that's cool. He came back and literally asked if I would pay shipping, I was just like, you're already saving yourself the 10% ebay fee from doing direct invoice lol. Anyway, guy came back and said they had i/o shields and heatsinks, next thing I know these things are going for 295/ea on ebay, now they're even higher, 327. So, I got 5 for a total of 1050, /w io shields, I'm not too concerned about the heatsinks because I literally just bought 10 better heatsinks and got 2 free. I find value in the fact that the board has onboard LSI 2308 in IT mode because it saves me from having to purchase another 5-6 H310 adapters to flash to IT mode.

Anyway, it's a little annoying how the price gets hiked from 225 to 327.

Last edited:

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
The bottom may not have been reached yet (just like the current stock market freefall, lol). Called one seller Davewolfs gave me LAST week and they said they have hundreds of the SR0KX. Didn't take my offer of $85 per cpu. Today I randomly spotted a eBay seller, put in a BO of $85 for 3 and they accepted without bargaining.

At this point I'm not sure if I should hoard some or let it go. Honestly have no use for these, but at $85 for 8 cores, why the heck not??

I already got 5 @ $94. I'm not sure if I'll send it back to the seller I got these from (no, if they charge a restocking fee). $50 difference can pay for the cpu coolers, which I need. I'll call them tomorrow to find out. Also, the seller that I bought 5 from last week lowered their buy it now prices from $105 to $102, so probably a new batch is flooding the market or buying has slowed down, or both.

I'm wishing the supply just dry now so the board prices can come down. X79 boards go for like $200. More expensive than X99 boards new. Insane.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I mean, "casually buying on ebay" isn't really akin to something like "oh, you just casually deal drugs on the side? never been burnt by a bad buyer or a sting?" lol.

Most experiences go well. As I said in my other post, a lot of these seller accounts are asset liquidators that specialize in selling/obtaining IT gear, they have pretty good customer service. I've even done direct invoice quite a few times, never been burned.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I have, on more than one occasion, managed to screw myself by not researching an eBay buy properly. What I got was not what I was expecting. But I'm solely to blame for this.

I will say this, most eBay sellers do a far better packing job than any online retailer. I have never received anything that was damaged in shipping due to improper packing.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Looking back at # of transactions on ebay in 2015 the # of issues is ~2% of total purchases... or in my case ~5-7 issues with ~300 orders. Some orders were 15 items too though, so that's not really an items ordered:issues but purely orders placed:issues. As a buyer the only real issue I've had that burned me are my fault for not testing an item timely. As a seller on ebay and forums I've had a couple issues with bad buyers/scammers and DOA items that were 100% working prior to shipment in which case the loss was in the 100s $$ and you're just gonna eat it and why I prefer forums, local trades, etc...

The only CPU issue I've had (that i recall) is from CHINA -- never again! Had to file police report to get ebay to refund the $$ on that one.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have, on more than one occasion, managed to screw myself by not researching an eBay buy properly. What I got was not what I was expecting. But I'm solely to blame for this.

I will say this, most eBay sellers do a far better packing job than any online retailer. I have never received anything that was damaged in shipping due to improper packing.
Lucky you! I've had a # of chassis dented/damaged one way or another. That's probably out of 3 or 4 dozen from 2015 though, and you're right most are packaged very very nice... even using the OEM packages things sometimes get screwed up though.

best packaging so far goes to the LB6M seller!!

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
Prices dropping across the board! esisoinc lowered their buy it now to $94, down from $105 last week.

BO means probably around $80.

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
Prices dropping across the board! esisoinc lowered their buy it now to $94, down from $105 last week.

BO means probably around $80.
Good luck on that. I've tried like 10 times to get esisoinc to take a discount with a BO. He's refused even $5 off on a multiple order.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
How low can it go? It makes you wonder what price they are buying these at in quantity.
It will be nice when a datacentre starts dumping v2's. It could be a while till x9 board pricing drops.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
Good luck on that. I've tried like 10 times to get esisoinc to take a discount with a BO. He's refused even $5 off on a multiple order.
Maybe I got lucky but they budged by $9 per cpu. But their buy it now is what I got the CPUs at.

Dav

Jan 20, 2016
two for about 250+ euros on ebay hmm very tempting but the motherboard price is rather a bummer
Yet I badly need a new rig for virtualization due to high ram usage

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
I paid 85 and got mine from MTS too. Other sellers are just matching. Wondering if I should buy a spare CPU just for shits and giggles :)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
To those who say 'who cares' if a package carrying a mobo arrives beat up I say ME as now I am the victim of a 'System Initializing' B7 SuperMicro post screen hang-up msg, other X9SRL-F board that arrived shipped well is running like a champ.

Bullsh|t!

EDIT: OK, I 'MAY' have jumped the gun, maybe a bad dimm. Checking now. Yep bad dimm, took a pair out (one of the 8 modules I got has a orange color to the PCB material and the others are green, dunno if this matters but I bet it is the one that is fubared), anyways requested a return/swapout/refund (whichever works out best for seller and me) and will continue to test that one module i think is bad by ONLY putting it in system to test and booting agian.

Last edited:

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
Hey I want to give everyone some heads up about the eBay seller that I made an offer on for some CPUs. I know offers are binding and such but we have all changed our minds at some point. He accepted the offer for 3 @ $85 which I was surprised.

• This happened late last night so I decided to wait until the morning to see if I should ask him to cancel
  • Before noon, he sent me a message asking me to pay. Keep in mind buyers have 48 hours to make a payment
  • I thought it was weird to be harassed by the seller so I was a bit put off. I decided to ask him to cancel my offer. I was very polite and apologetic.
  • His response: "I we will block you so no deals to be done with u again. "
  • I told him I do not like to be threatened.
  • He said it's his right to block flaky buyers
  • I said I would like for him to just send me a cancellation request so we can both move on.
  • He said he can't do that only eBay can, which is a flat out lie.
  • So he has made it his mission to file a UPI against me. I could care less.
Anyway, this entire experience was extremely off-putting. His seller account is stalliontek on eBay

Not worth it to do business with him.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Not particularly weird to send out invoice or reminder early. Personally I just let the system do its job. It also seems reasonable to block buyers who cancel orders on whim. Refunds can be a huge pain in the ass if you have already shifted money based on a sale. Nothing to do with threatening or otherwise. Simple process. I wouldn't usually inform the buyer I would just block him. I tend to have a lot more empathy for the seller than the buyer in this instance. He took an extremely low ball offer and then got a pissy buyer. I too would fire the customer.

Reactions: Aestr and T_Minus