27" 2560x1440 IPS For Less than $400 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Overlord Computer in California re-brands these and guarantees pixels plus provides a one-year warranty. Looks to be a little less than Microcenter plus more options. I believe they also have ones that can can "overclock" to 100Hz if not a little more.

More general info about these nice Korean displays at Overclock.net and TechPowerUp.
"Overlord Computer" = a guy in a garage with a domain name registered a few months ago, thus "1 year warranty" doesn't mean much right now. For background, he's one of two guys that started 120Hz.net, and subsequently split off because - ofcourse - money, the great divide. 120hz.net was founded because these guys wanted to get in on the korean monitor action as middlemen, focusing on specific models that happened to have overclockable PCB's (much to the surprise of the manufacturer Witech, who hadn't actually designed them for the ramdac to be driven out of spec, thus who knows what their longevity may be when overdriven, be it a few months or a few years and beyond)

God bless em, capitalism at its finest but helps to know what you're getting into with these guys.

In any case the 60hz model off eBay was perfect for me and I know the overclockable pcb's will hit eBay eventually once green-sum gets fed up with the guy at 120z.net (right now they have sort an exclusivity arrangement). The PCB will be a drop in replacement for existing cat leap/yamakasi monitors.

Last edited:

wrigleyvillain

Oct 19, 2012
Fair enough...and actually I figured it was something like that but I would still rather try to get warranty service or a replacement or whatever the case ends up being from "some guy" in this country as opposed to a Korean on eBay. Just mainly wanted people to know that slowly but surely there are other options for these things besides eBay and even Microcenter (and don't get me wrong...I have access to and thus love MC. Also use eBay fairly extensively).

Also, all that said, as I have read most of the posts in the threads I linked I know that, generally, the eBay transactions go just fine and provide a quality product making any warranty considerations essentially moot.

Though you do want/need to replace the stand apparently. At least on the earlier ones. Will be going 1440p myself eventually; not sure from where yet.

Last edited:

zakari

Sep 10, 2012
I heard bout this deal a while back, but wasnt sure to go through with it because they had no anti-glare coating at the time.

Is the situation any better ?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I heard bout this deal a while back, but wasnt sure to go through with it because they had no anti-glare coating at the time.

Is the situation any better ?
That's very interesting! I have the HP ZR30w flanked by two of these "glossy" 27's. I actually like the higher gloss 95% of the time. Every now and then I will get an annoying reflection in photoshop.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Stop bragging...:)
Ok I'll mention it was a craigslist ZR30w and two ebay (early version) 27's. :)

I still think I'm going to end up regretting the setup. If someone makes these things touch enabled that would be awesome.