Guide: 1356/1366 Xeon Aftermarket Heatsink Selection/Installation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NickM

Jul 19, 2015
This is my favorite LGA1366 and LGA1356 heatsink
Intel Core i7 CPU Cooler Fan Heatsink Socket LGA 1366 PC E97381 001 | eBay

Search for "E97381" , usually goes for $10-$20 new. I buy dozen at a time and it is very quiet.
Height is around 5.5 inches with motherboard , so 4U or tower case only.
Just wanted to ask for a quick check -- will this cooler attach to a Supermicro 1366 server motherboard mount "by default", without needing to change the backplate / add standoff screws / etc?

tbob22

Jan 20, 2016
Any of the Raijintek coolers with their blackplate mounting system (of course, you don't use their backplate) seem to fit without modification, the included screws are the same thread and the spacers have a cutout for the portion of the back plate that protrudes on the top of the board.

Here is a test with the Raijintek Ereboss on my Z8NA-D6C.

It is a little tight, but one could fit two of these on the board without too much difficulty assuming that the case is large enough.

I have two Aidos on the way as the Ereboss is a little overkill.

Reactions: chinesestunna

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Any of the Raijintek coolers with their blackplate mounting system (of course, you don't use their backplate) seem to fit without modification, the included screws are the same thread and the spacers have a cutout for the portion of the back plate that protrudes on the top of the board.

Here is a test with the Raijintek Ereboss on my Z8NA-D6C.

It is a little tight, but one could fit two of these on the board without too much difficulty assuming that the case is large enough.

I have two Aidos on the way as the Ereboss is a little overkill.
That looks sweet, I feel like if one builds a nice cardboard wind tunnel you can "passively" cool both chips with the back of the case exhaust fan ducted through both heatsinks

tbob22

Jan 20, 2016
That looks sweet, I feel like if one builds a nice cardboard wind tunnel you can "passively" cool both chips with the back of the case exhaust fan ducted through both heatsinks
Yep, that was my thought. They would probably be plenty to cool a stock CPU with just the case fans.. In the end I decided to go for the smaller ones because of the price ($40 vs $85).

If I was overclocking there would be no question. :)

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Yep, that was my thought. They would probably be plenty to cool a stock CPU with just the case fans.. In the end I decided to go for the smaller ones because of the price ($40 vs $85).

If I was overclocking there would be no question. :)
Completely agree, I went with the Hyper 212+ for the price as well ($20 each), when the cooler is more than the chip I start scratching my head. I actually attempted to use them and passively cool my L5630s but running at full load they'd get into the danger zone, no thermal throttling but Supermicro's monitor would report "high" temp which according to documentation is within 10C of TcaseMax.
This was for my server so I wanted it as low power and quiet as possible :) Workstation/OC machine is another matter

tbob22

Jan 20, 2016
Completely agree, I went with the Hyper 212+ for the price as well ($20 each), when the cooler is more than the chip I start scratching my head. I actually attempted to use them and passively cool my L5630s but running at full load they'd get into the danger zone, no thermal throttling but Supermicro's monitor would report "high" temp which according to documentation is within 10C of TcaseMax.
This was for my server so I wanted it as low power and quiet as possible :) Workstation/OC machine is another matter
Yep, I got a matched set of x5670's for $80, so spending that much on coolers didn't make much sense. If I could overclock without having to spend $500 on a board I would. :)

tbob22

Jan 20, 2016
Got my coolers installed. Fit pretty well, noticed one of the mounts was sitting on a cap so I had to use my dremel to cut it out a bit. I hadn't tested that socket with the other heatsink. It ended up OK though.

ghost1001

Feb 27, 2016
I'm about to try this on a Dell C1100, and I know that others have had problems with the standoffs crushing resistors/capacitors on the mobo, and by the looks of it, the standoffs that you bought seem to have a spacer between the screw part and the top part (which is good!)
So I was wondering, do you have a link for the spacer that you bought??

B1scu1T

Mar 6, 2016
Hello All,

First of all I would like to say thanks for all the information in this thread, was really helpful in me finding some cost saving options to cool my recently purchased S1356 dual CPU motherboard.
I actually pressed the order button before researching the cooling, so there was a bit of a mad rush trying to find options!

Im in the UK so obviously prices and availability of products is a bit different but the specs of the system are as follows
2 x E5-2428 (60W Hex core) £100 total (they are now even cheaper!)
Supermicro MBD-X9DBL £120
Logic-case SC-43400-8HS £133

The RAM is some ECC Crucial stuff out of my old server.

There really isn't a lot of available aftermarket coolers that specifically support the 1356 socket! It seems to me like the main thing to look out for is that the bracket system supports 1366, but doesn't come with pushpins.
The ones that require either a custom backplate, or a screw from the back type of mounting solution can be bodged into working effectively. I guess I was expecting to have to order in some additional screws to make the ones I bought work, however I got lucky!
Although I haven't used the stock mounting components in the exact way the manufacturers intended, they do work very well

Due to the way the case is designed with the hot swap bays and shallow depth, its not possible to get 2 x 4u coolers in there as it would get in the way of the hard drive cages, so I had to pick either 2 x small cooler or 1 small and one large.
First of all I thought I would tackle the small one and I went for the Scythe Kozuti. The mounting system is supposed to work (if using 115x) by mounting the long M3 bolts from the back with the black washer, then they lock into the front with the hex topped nuts. I just used the long screws with a washer on, straight through the top of the bracket into the 1356 captive nuts.... Bob's your uncle! The washer squashes to take any additional pressure and the fit really is great. Be warned, you may lose RAM slots with this cooler unless using low profile RAM.

I didn't want to use the low profile cooler on both CPUs as I wasn't sure they would both fit next to one another, so the other one I went for is the Arctic Freezer i11. This cooler was even easier! The intended result of the back bracket supplied with the captive nuts is really very similar to what you get built into the 1156. With this cooler I simply ignored the back-bracket, used the 1366/2011 holes and the included m3 bolts (that are intended for the included bracket) and it just works, no washers or anything else.

So far I have only test fit everything, but I will get some pictures up here once the installation is final.

Reactions: lmk

DataHamster

Oct 13, 2017
UK
datahamster.com
Thank you for this informative post - it helped me a lot.

I have also found that some LGA1366 coolers that have pushpins work, where the pushpins can be removed. The Arctic Freezer Xtreme Rev 2 is a doddle to fit, although there are some concerns over fouling in a twin CPU setup. But for single CPU it is fine.

I blogged about my findings at http://datahamster.com/2017/10/08/... if this is of any help to anyone.

The full build post is at datahamster.com/2017/10/08/building-a-freenas-server/

Reactions: futureprimitive

serozhka

Jun 7, 2018
hi guys!
several years passed after post was created. but now i obtained my asus z8na-d6, and i am completely stuck with finding cooler which will fit. only idea is "raijintek aidos".
since so long time went, maybe in 2018 someone can suggest some coolers for z8na-d6? i am running two L5640.

Ismail

Oct 14, 2018
hi guys!
several years passed after post was created. but now i obtained my asus z8na-d6, and i am completely stuck with finding cooler which will fit. only idea is "raijintek aidos".
since so long time went, maybe in 2018 someone can suggest some coolers for z8na-d6? i am running two L5640.
Me too.
I'm buying z8na-d6 motherboard with 2 x5675 processor. I want to know how the CPU cooler fits.
Thanks.

Dave Henderson

Dec 18, 2017
Digging around my box of misc bits I found a couple of 775 HSF retaining rings and wondered if they'd fit the hole spacings in my X8DTE-F, which has a pair of 1366 CPUs. Turns out they match quite nicely, but you have to be careful the legs that touch the PCB aren't fouling any SMD resistors, etc. If necessary, trim a piece from the edge of the leg without affecting its stability or spacing. I held the rings down with some M3 screws and washers into the backplate.
After that it was a simple matter to fit the pair of Akasa AK-876 coolers, which were available cheaply as New Old Stock AM3 coolers. They clipped on as if made for it.

The 775 ring...

The AK-876...
Akasa AK-876 AMD Athlon64 Heatsink Review on FrostyTech.com

Last edited:

futureprimitive

Dec 2, 2017
another bump as a quick mention of heatsink compatibility for this socket.

mounts natively:
E97381/dbx-b/i7 extreme edition coolers
corsair AIO's
HP AVC 1322-001B0H2

mounts with some slight tweaking:
arctic freezer 7 pro rev 2 - you can attach the mounting bracket for the heatsink to the socket using the screws in the amd mounting kit. might block ram slots depending on board layout.

mounts with standoffs:
noctua NHU12P SE1366

aj.saini

Jan 8, 2023
Hi Everyone can someone please suggest a AIO water cooler that would work well with x8dtu-f motherboard i would prefer 240mm
something reasonable price (cooler master is decent)
- i am running dual x5690
I read the forum i would need the m3 screws and PCB stands off not an big issue,
xenon lga 1366

My end goal would be to build something like this - not my idea but youtubewall mounted PC-min.png

This is going to be my wall mounted homelab server- I will keep you guys posted with the build process

Thank you

Last edited: