FreeNAS volume has 174,000 files in it. Need suggestions on how to manage the files

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
I had a friend who deleted their ~/Pictures directory so I ran PhotoRec and ended up 173,375 images the root of a volume. Now I believe that most of the files are duplicates and/or thumbnails but I can't mount the volume to view in OS X without Finder locking up.

I've also attempted to dump the largest 1000 images into a folder but then I run into "Argument list too long." errors. Any suggestions on how to fix my screw up?

Thanks!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I forget why I had to do this before but likely a similar issue... I used command line and moved them based on the starting char. Basically moved A-Z into sub-dirs based on the letter they started with. (Or # for that matter).

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
I forget why I had to do this before but likely a similar issue... I used command line and moved them based on the starting char. Basically moved A-Z into sub-dirs based on the letter they started with. (Or # for that matter).
So I'm trying something similar. I have a script that'll move batches of files into new folders. Currently backing up the 30GB of images before I run that script. I have it set to make folders with 2,500 images in each which will give me 68 folders. I spent a good portion of my time trying to get it to sort the images by size then move them. That way I would be able to skip a ton of folders.