Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jonaspaulo

Jan 26, 2015
Hi,

Fully agree, I have already complained about it to the support and afterwards to marketing@supermicro.com but with no response whatsoever.

I am a believer of the conspiracy theory due to ixgbe driver version 4.0.5, I was able to enable the SR_IOV function on x557(silly me that I didn't do a ping test then!), later it was SM totally disabling it from the BIOS version 1.0.b

Better yet, they can send us the 1541 and we can return the 1540 back to Intel.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
I am a believer of the conspiracy theory due to ixgbe driver version 4.0.5, I was able to enable the SR_IOV function on x557(silly me that I didn't do a ping test then!), later it was SM totally disabling it from the BIOS version 1.0.b
That doesn't really answer the question of whether it worked reliably.

hjfr

Nov 21, 2013
France
These might be Backplane Ethernet references... (KR4 for 40GE, KR for single lane 10GE)
Thanks for your answer.
In the case of D-1518 model (no KR interface, so no 10GBE interface ?), but the new Motherboard X10SDV-4C-TLN4F has the dual 10 GBe ports). Strange, no ?

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
Thanks for your answer.
In the case of D-1518 model (no KR interface, so no 10GBE interface ?), but the new Motherboard X10SDV-4C-TLN4F has the dual 10 GBe ports). Strange, no ?
It definitely has dual 10GBASE-T ports per SM's own product page. Maybe it's a typo, or it uses different MAC to PHY connectivity that still provides 10GE in the end. Dunno :D

fatsailor

Dec 1, 2015
I've a SM X10SDV-TLN4F that's running the 1.0a BIOS. I'm about to try using SR-IOV with ESXi 5.5, and I've some questions.

I've read that the 1.0b BIOS presumably blocks SR-IOV, but there was an un-supported BIOS that enabled it. Before I spend too much more time on this, is it possible that 1.0a has SR-IOV enabled? Or, am I being to hopeful?

Thanks!

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Sr-iov on i350 works with Ubuntu/Debian but VMware driver does not support SR-IOV on all the 1 gbe card (according to their HCL)

fatsailor

Dec 1, 2015
Sr-iov on i350 works with Ubuntu/Debian but VMware driver does not support SR-IOV on all the 1 gbe card (according to their HCL)
Is that, i350 card, what the "Magnolia Park SW1" is in the release notes of the ESX driver?

ioshield

Jun 5, 2015
I have been lurking around here for awhile, soaking in the knowledge.

Now I have question related to the SR-IOV thing.

I was planning to build a new system using the Supermicro board MBD-X10SDV-TLN4F-O and putting in a intel quad port nic to pass-through individual nics to a couple of VMs to run things like Bro, Snort.

But seeing all this talk about the SR-IOV has me thinking this won't work, but I am not that knowledgeable about it.

Am I wrong?

fatsailor

Dec 1, 2015
I have been lurking around here for awhile, soaking in the knowledge.

Now I have question related to the SR-IOV thing.

I was planning to build a new system using the Supermicro board MBD-X10SDV-TLN4F-O and putting in a intel quad port nic to pass-through individual nics to a couple of VMs to run things like Bro, Snort.

But seeing all this talk about the SR-IOV has me thinking this won't work, but I am not that knowledgeable about it.

Am I wrong?
Nope - you're not wrong. Vmware doesn't support the i350's for SR-IOV. The only Intel nics it supports are of the 10Gb variety.

It appears there are VERY FEW 1Gb nics supported with SR-IOV. My guess is they found it wasn't really needed until things hit 10Gb.

Kingsleylow

Dec 5, 2015
hi i would like to ask if the SR-IOV is really important ?
i am coming from Synology 1815+ and sold it off due to disappointment on the transfer speed and weak processor for plex server.

At first i am thinking of getting C2750D4I but look at this MBD-X10SDV-4C-TLN2F-O just another $100 bug more and offer 10GB network.

my plan is to use this mainboard to do visualization for it to run freenas/server2012 and Xpenology , will this SR-IOV will affecting me ?

its possible for me to link this 10Gb network from this mainboard to my switch and use my switch to connect 4x 1Gb to my pc with NIC teaming to achieve high speed transfer ?

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Someone asked about 1.0a bios. I do not recommend it on ESXi as it can result in PSOD.

Today I swapped out a SataDOM on this board that keeps disconnecting. If it disconnects again I'm going to RMA my SuperServer.

Kingsleylow

Dec 5, 2015
Someone asked about 1.0a bios. I do not recommend it on ESXi as it can result in PSOD.

Today I swapped out a SataDOM on this board that keeps disconnecting. If it disconnects again I'm going to RMA my SuperServer.
Wow so this board not suitable for esxi or just on the version 1.0a bios? If use the latest version no problem?

Hope I did not made a bad purchase...

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Wow so this board not suitable for esxi or just on the version 1.0a bios? If use the latest version no problem?

Hope I did not made a bad purchase...
I had pink screen happen twice to me on 1.0a. Another member messaged me and they have seen it 3 times.

If you look at the 1540 hardware spec update there are some notes on the MCE error. I think this is an Intel issue not a SM issue. Anyhow, I have not seen the error on 1.0b. But I have seen a disconnecting SataDOM drive on the yellow port.

Kingsleylow

Dec 5, 2015
I had pink screen happen twice to me on 1.0a. Another member messaged me and they have seen it 3 times.

If you look at the 1540 hardware spec update there are some notes on the MCE error. I think this is an Intel issue not a SM issue. Anyhow, I have not seen the error on 1.0b. But I have seen a disconnecting SataDOM drive on the yellow port.
Thanks... I brought the 1520 version, hope it will not happen to me.

fad

Dec 9, 2015
Hi,

I just bought the SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SDV-4C-TLN2F-O. I have found that I can not get the 10Gb ports to work. I assume you can use these as 1Gb ports. Do these ports work if you loopback these ports to each other. I don't have a 10gbbase-t switch yet.

I have tried Windows server 2012 and ESXi 6.0 with the driver vib. They both see it, but I can not get a link. I have also tried a C3 Enterasys switch and a Netgear 1Gb switch. The next idea is to get a copper 10gb nic.

Am I missing anything?

thanks

Kingsleylow

Dec 5, 2015
Hi,

I just bought the SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SDV-4C-TLN2F-O. I have found that I can not get the 10Gb ports to work. I assume you can use these as 1Gb ports. Do these ports work if you loopback these ports to each other. I don't have a 10gbbase-t switch yet.

I have tried Windows server 2012 and ESXi 6.0 with the driver vib. They both see it, but I can not get a link. I have also tried a C3 Enterasys switch and a Netgear 1Gb switch. The next idea is to get a copper 10gb nic.

Am I missing anything?

thanks
cant test mine yet.. its on it way...

Kingsleylow

Dec 5, 2015
I had contacted Supermicro, for the 1540 model and they confirmed it, There is a discussion n the forum regarding the riser option ( as SM dont offer one as yet)
Thanks... I thought I can use any adapter for this.

Any ideal will the m.2 to PCIE work?..

I need additional PCIE for nic and satanic.