Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

spyrule

Knowing that your fans only idle at 3600 or something low like that seems to make me thing something is wrong especially since my stock fans idle at 5400. Also, you mention that chipset temp is at 90 degrees where mine is 79 degrees with replaced lower airflow fans. I would certainly work on flashing the BMC. I have flashed mine a couple of times but these BMC controllers are crap. I moved my server from one location to another and one of the BMCs stopped working. I am going to flash again but something doesn't seem to add up with your temp and fan speed. Knowing these things are just north of junk, makes me feel like I will be flashing the BMC every so often. :(. Other than the BMC being buggy, everything else is good so the server is still worth the money.
Be aware that some of these servers came with a different stock fan, that did idle slower. I replaced mine with 110cfm 38db constant speed fans, plus a 30x30x10 fan on each chipset, that keeps my server cool.

MRose34

Jun 29, 2015
The bmc responds to cpu temps, not chipset temps. With your temps so high on that chipset, i'd buy some good silver thermal transfer grease, pull the heat sink (you have to remove the mobo to do this mind you), and remove the old thermal compound (mine was dry and cracked), and re-apply the new thermal grease and see if that makes a difference. I'd do the chipset and both cpu's while you are at it. It dropped my temps by almost 10 degrees.
Oh hey! I didn't realize it would drop the temps that low, I think I might have to try that too as well.

MRose34

Jun 29, 2015
Be aware that some of these servers came with a different stock fan, that did idle slower. I replaced mine with 110cfm 38db constant speed fans, plus a 30x30x10 fan on each chipset, that keeps my server cool.
this is good to know, thanks!

asshopo

Dec 1, 2014
Would Amazon.com: Vantec Tornado TD8038H 80x80x38mm Double Ball Bearing High Performance Case Fan (Black): Electronics be a decent upgrade? Would I have to splice wires like what was mentioned earlier in this thread? If so, I'm about to order 4 of these and some thermal paste.

spyrule

Oh hey! I didn't realize it would drop the temps that low, I think I might have to try that too as well.
Typically thermal grease should be replaced every 3-5 years max. It starts to dry out, especially on hot running chipsets/cpu's. Sometimes you won't gain more then a few degree's, but even 3-4 helps. Now, you DO have to have the airflow to evacuate that heat since now the heatsinks will get hotter.

spyrule

Would Amazon.com: Vantec Tornado TD8038H 80x80x38mm Double Ball Bearing High Performance Case Fan (Black): Electronics be a decent upgrade? Would I have to splice wires like what was mentioned earlier in this thread? If so, I'm about to order 4 of these and some thermal paste.
Be careful, it's not just CFM that's important, it's the actual head pressure that is critical in these servers, as there is a lot of obstructions to reduce airflow. I actually modded the case to try and reduce some of those airflow bottlenecks (cut out the rear airflow gridding, into large vented holes for example). However, do NOT remove the foam blocks that force the airflow between the cpu heatsinks, doing so allows something like 30-40% of the airflow to move right around the heatsink, which doesn't help at all.

beckert

Oct 30, 2015
Hello,
I just bought the same server. And I have the same problem with the NIC. can tell me the settings you have on the bios.
thanks for your help

I have purchased two of these off of eBay (probably from the same seller as javi). Both configurations were similar:

- Dell C6100/DCS6005
- 3 nodes
- Each node has 2x AMD Hex-Core CPUs & 48GB RAM
- One unit had 8 x 1TB drives and one unit had 9 x 1TB drives

I successfully installed Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 on each of the nodes in the 1st server and it is doing a great job of running multiple VMs for me. As my VMs are not very resource-intensive (small numbers of users), this configuration works beautifully.

HOWEVER, I attempted to run the same configuration on the 2nd server and have run into a disaster. It looks like the 2nd server either has a custom version of the BIOS or some other non-standard configuration that prevents the on-board GB NICs from working. I have tried almost everything... from loading fail-safe default BIOS settings to trying to install Intel GB NIC drivers... and the only thing left to do is to try to flash the BIOS. However, since I'm still within my warranty return period, I'm thinking about just returning the unit.

Has anyone else run into this issue... NICs don't work and are not recognized by OS?

spyrule

Hello,
I just bought the same server. And I have the same problem with the NIC. can tell me the settings you have on the bios.
thanks for your help
Honestly, it seems flashing the BMC and then the BIOS from previous instructions in this thread fixes a whole bunch of issues. I'd suggest that, and then if network issues persist, follow up.

Last edited:

beckert

Oct 30, 2015
Hello,
I just update BMC . and after the server no longer works. the green LED on the motherboard lights up and turns off

spyrule

Motherboard not turn on ( :
You need to give more details then that man... Does it post at all, does it power on and then off with no video, is there any audible beeps?

Have you pulled the cmos battery? does that change what happens?

Did you follow ALL of the instructions when flashing the BMC/Bios ? Did you skip any steps ? Did you flash the BMC but not the BIOS ?

We need more details of what you have/havn't done and what the exact symptoms are before anybody can help...