WD Sentinel RX4100 - Thoughts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Recently I picked up a 1U WD Sentinel RX4100 with 4x 4TB WD Se drives. The server itself seems to be based on an Intel Atom D525 with 4GB RAM and has a Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 sticker attached.

Despite the fact that the box is large, it only houses 4x 4TB drives and dual 1GbE ethernet. I had a look inside and there is a single 4GB SODIMM and no PCIe expansion slots. Lots of non-standard form factors involved.

Here is the question: what should I do with the box?

• Option 1: Use it as a backup server in Fremont or Sunnyvale just to hold images for a PXE boot server.
  • Option 2: Use the drives elsewhere. Sell the chassis.
  • Option 3: Sell the whole thing.

On Option 1 - I do have "enough" backup capacity but I am not sure I want to use Windows Storage Server versus something like FreeNAS. I also somewhat want to have 10Gb networking everywhere now.

Thoughts appreciated. If someone wants a look inside, happy to take and post pics.

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
I found some pictures of the inside, and if I was looking at the correct model, there's a ton of empty space in that unit. That said, I'll toss my off-the-wall suggestion in the ring. Configure it as an iSCSI target. Then, retrofit a small switch and several NUC boards into the free space. BOOM, low(ish) power 1u compute + storage box.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I found some pictures of the inside, and if I was looking at the correct model, there's a ton of empty space in that unit. That said, I'll toss my off-the-wall suggestion in the ring. Configure it as an iSCSI target. Then, retrofit a small switch and several NUC boards into the free space. BOOM, low(ish) power 1u compute + storage box.
There is a lot of room, and easily enough for a few NUCs. Great idea. Power is, well interesting to say the least. Not really sure if I have a use for a small cluster like this right now.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Get rid of the whole thing, sounds like junk
Absolutely agree.

Most of these chassis that are similar in form and fit are garbage, at least in my opinion. A lot of money spent for not a lot of return. Last time I used something like this was a 1U Lacie... thing... that had 4x500GB drives in it. It was extremely slow and extremely expensive.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
If it performs anything like the Sentinel DX4000 (atom based, 4 drive, small box). Trash it. I have one of these sitting around, it has USB3 but copying off of it would cause it to slow to a crawl or even crash. I pulled the drives and put it in the recycle pile.