Supermicro 4U Workstation with Dual LGA 1366 Motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Note, the seller contacted me on my order and said it was for the motherboard only. Actually a decent price if they are selling these for $182 and you were in the market... but very misleading.

------------------------------
OK so this is either the deal of the century due to closing out an old model OR I am going to lose over $220. Please do not buy this one unless you do not mind potentially losing $225 or so as I am guessing there is something I missed. Also, please respect the #1 rule of deal sites... do not contact the seller and try keeping to this site because my guess is folks here will use a chassis and can use a break.

The deal is for a Supermicro SYS-7046A-HR+ (specs here) which is a 4U workstation chassis that includes a dual socket LGA 1366 workstation board (X8DAH+) that appears to be new.

The CSE-745TQ-R1400B that apparently is included is not on Supermicro's chassis page for the 745 series. Reading the part number would suggest black chassis with redundant gold level 1400w power supplies and 8x SATA / SAS hot swap bays.

I might have just gotten one for around $225 shipped. Here is the Amazon link to the deal as it is very hard to find otherwise (currently 6 left.) Picture is of a X7SPA series motherboard from what I can tell but the item description has the SYS-7046A-HR+ model number and says it is 63 lbs. The discount % seems correct. Looks like new they are in the $1,300 to $1,600 range normally. I see an open box "deal" on ebay from a reputable seller that has this same chassis (but only one) for $699 OBO.

For those wondering, one of the 1K4 series PSUs generally cost $225 alone, and the X8DAH+ runs around $250-400 on ebay. My thought is I could either sell the motherboard and keep the chassis or just buy some inexpensive CPUs for it. The board does have the dual IOH configuration so you get 2x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots, 4x PCIe 2.0 x8 slots and 1x PCIe 2.0 x4 slot. Taking that alongside the 8-bay hot swap (and room for more) it could be a decent storage server head.

Again, I think this is a very high-risk purchase so not something to post elsewhere. I will let everyone know what arrives somewhere between September 7 and September 24 (no express delivery option.)

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
:eek: How did you spot this? If it turns out, it will be an incredible deal!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Skills! You know someone is going to buy it and get mad that they did not get the mini ITX Atom motherboard.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Dead! Seemed too good to be true.

----------------------------------------

Hello Patrick,

This order is only for the motherboard and not for the 4U. We will have to take this listing off Amazon due to misleading information. Please accept our apology.

We can credit you back now or you can get this motherboard.

If we don't hear from you by Tuesday the 4rth, we will cancel your order.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I am sure that these "extreme" deals sometimes work out well. I've been bit, however, and now tend to avoid them. Ask me about the great deal on a JBOD case that turned out to be just the power supply for said case. The vendor didn't wanto to ship me the entire JBOD for the price I paid so they just sat on my order - and my Google checkout money. It took several hours of work to finally get a refund. Had they actually shipped the power supply it would have been even more difficult to unwind.

To me this looked like a classic "I said server but meant motherboard only" deal. I therefore emailed to confirm the shipping weight of the barebones server and they caught the mistake, telling me that it's the motherboard only. Patrick, I hope that you were in the market for an old Xeon 5600 motherboard!

OK so this is either the deal of the century due to closing out an old model OR I am going to lose over $220. Please do not buy this one unless you do not mind potentially losing $225 or so as I am guessing there is something I missed. Also, please respect the #1 rule of deal sites... do not contact the seller and try keeping to this site because my guess is folks here will use a chassis and can use a break.

The deal is for a Supermicro SYS-7046A-HR+ (specs here) which is a 4U workstation chassis that includes a dual socket LGA 1366 workstation board (X8DAH+) that appears to be new.

The CSE-745TQ-R1400B that apparently is included is not on Supermicro's chassis page for the 745 series. Reading the part number would suggest black chassis with redundant gold level 1400w power supplies and 8x SATA / SAS hot swap bays.

I might have just gotten one for around $225 shipped. Here is the Amazon link to the deal as it is very hard to find otherwise (currently 6 left.) Picture is of a X7SPA series motherboard from what I can tell but the item description has the SYS-7046A-HR+ model number and says it is 63 lbs. The discount % seems correct. Looks like new they are in the $1,300 to $1,600 range normally. I see an open box "deal" on ebay from a reputable seller that has this same chassis (but only one) for $699 OBO.

For those wondering, one of the 1K4 series PSUs generally cost $225 alone, and the X8DAH+ runs around $250-400 on ebay. My thought is I could either sell the motherboard and keep the chassis or just buy some inexpensive CPUs for it. The board does have the dual IOH configuration so you get 2x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots, 4x PCIe 2.0 x8 slots and 1x PCIe 2.0 x4 slot. Taking that alongside the 8-bay hot swap (and room for more) it could be a decent storage server head.

Again, I think this is a very high-risk purchase so not something to post elsewhere. I will let everyone know what arrives somewhere between September 7 and September 24 (no express delivery option.)

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I think that I was typing my response just as you were typing yours.

Dead! Seemed too good to be true.

----------------------------------------

Hello Patrick,

This order is only for the motherboard and not for the 4U. We will have to take this listing off Amazon due to misleading information. Please accept our apology.

We can credit you back now or you can get this motherboard.

If we don't hear from you by Tuesday the 4rth, we will cancel your order.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea... I figured there might be a chance since I think these were discontinued some time back. Oh well.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Seller sent the same email first email and then just canceled the order citing no stock.