LSI SAS 9201-8I and HP Microserver N54L

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Alfrik

May 4, 2013
So, I've got myself a SAS 9201-8i and dropped it into my microserver, hoping to use it rather than the SAS/SATA 300 link speed built into the box. I can't seem to get into the ROM/config utility for the card though. I hit CTRL-C, it tells me the utility will load once the card in initialized, and then nothing. If I'm quick, occasionally it will show drives initializing/discovered table. I don't want to mess with this and commit my drives to it without knowing I can get into the config utility.

Any suggestions?

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
From memory, you won't be able to on the microserver....

You have a couple of options.

If it's a raid config your trying to do,
pop the card another box and set it up, the move it back to the microserver

Or go in blind and disregard the bios config..... Fire up an os and do it from within the os

Alfrik

May 4, 2013
From memory, you won't be able to on the microserver....

You have a couple of options.

If it's a raid config your trying to do,
pop the card another box and set it up, the move it back to the microserver

Or go in blind and disregard the bios config..... Fire up an os and do it from within the os

Building a 5 drive FreeNAS box, so back to using the controller blind, or the flashed onboard SAS/SATA controller and put up with 300mbps

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
Building a 5 drive FreeNAS box, so back to using the controller blind, or the flashed onboard SAS/SATA controller and put up with 300mbps
For FreeNas, there should be no reason to go into the bios of the card.... or actually to have the bios installed on the card.

Look for threads on how to flash the card..... and just flash the firmware.... leave the bios off the card.

The card will then just act like it's more SATA ports.

Freenas will find the drives attached, and your off and going.