Proxmox VE 3.4 Initial Installation Checklist

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Initial Proxmox installer GUI:
1. If you can, mirrored boot is a good idea. I have been using ZFS RAID 1 in PVE 3.4
2. On the network settings screen on the installer pick something other than pve.x.x as your host name. If you leave defaults, it will get confusing later
3. Ensure you will have a way to resolve hostnames in your setup. Proxmox likes this

Upon first boot:
1. Login via SSH/ console and get the right packages setup. By default Proxmox will try to use the enterprise repos. To do this first add the no subscription sources:

Code:
# nano /etc/apt/sources.list
add: 
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pve-no-subscription
Then remove the enterprise source:
Code:
# nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list
comment out (add a # symbol in front) of this line:
# deb https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pve-enterprise
2. update and upgrade
Code:
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I just needed this post today. Good thing I wrote that stuff down.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Patrick, are you still running the 2.6.32 or do your run the pve-test 3.10.x kernel? I run the 3.10 kernel and I'm looking forward to Proxmox 4 with its 4.1 kernel.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am also eagerly awaiting Proxmox 4. Right now is standard 3.4 installation.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Patrick, are you still running the 2.6.32 or do your run the pve-test 3.10.x kernel? I run the 3.10 kernel and I'm looking forward to Proxmox 4 with its 4.1 kernel.
3.4 with kernel 3.X is stable. and openvz does not work :D ( I do not use openvz at all).
plus Open Virtual Switch...

I am thinking that time to move away from esxi to proxmox (linux KVM/virtio) world :D

one system is running 3.4 with kernel 3.X

one system( J1800 bay trail mini itix) on progress to replace low power mini-itx celeron Sandy Bridge with esxi 5.5. still running 3.4 for testing with kernel 3.X. Plan to jump to proxmox 4 due on newer kernel and features inside.

Reactions: Martin Jørgensen

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
3.4 with kernel 3.X is stable. and openvz does not work :D ( I do not use openvz at all).
plus Open Virtual Switch...

I am thinking that time to move away from esxi to proxmox (linux KVM/virtio) world :D

one system is running 3.4 with kernel 3.X

one system( J1800 bay trail mini itix) on progress to replace low power mini-itx celeron Sandy Bridge with esxi 5.5. still running 3.4 for testing with kernel 3.X. Plan to jump to proxmox 4 due on newer kernel and features inside.
I'm running the 3.10 kernel and Open VSwitch on couple of home hosts (i5-4590's), but my colo'd servers are still running 2.6.32 because I have a number of OpenVZ hosts. They are working on a clean upgrade path to convert OpenVZ containers to LXC in Proxmox 4, so that will be when I'm able to upgrade my colo'd machines.

Reactions: Martin Jørgensen