Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lmk

Dec 11, 2013
@pyro_ and anyone else

those new 2.5" 4TB drives from Samsung and Seagate should be SMR drives (like the 3.5" 8TB ones from Seagate) - so use case is archive/write once read many. otherwise, expect performance to be all over the place

lmk

Dec 11, 2013
And...

the 2.5" 3TB drives that are available, as well, should be regular PMR (or something)

CJ145

Mar 11, 2015
Anyone announced a board with the 2x10gbe sfp+ but still 2 1gbe ports? Preferring matx and a 1520 for a router.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
For those wondering here is the X10SDV lineup as of now:

View attachment 663
I do have a bunch of pics/ info on non-SM boards I have been asked not to share, but for whatever reason they are not shipping in quantity. From what I gather, big guys like FB get a lot of chips and other hyperscale stuff (Moonshot). Outside of that SM seems to be the only vendor still able to ship en masse.
Looks like the X10SDV-4C-TLN2F is now shipping:
SuperMicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F Motherboard - Newegg.com

SuperMicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F Motherboard at Amazon.com

Starting for a low low price of $699

Considering the cpu price of $581 for the 1540 and $199 for the 1520 giving a $382 price delta this board seems a bit overpriced considering the equivalent 1540 board can be picked up for $849.

Supermicro trying to artificially create separation between the D-1520 and the C2750?

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Note that it is not newegg/amazon itself which is selling it but a third party seller I would say wait for actuall pricing from them first

Reactions: T_Minus

Level-Gaming

Aug 12, 2015
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread. I just got my X10SDV-TLN4F yesterday and now have ESXi 6 running on the board. I'm building my first VMs on it now, and have plenty to move over still - but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the platform performs.

One thing I did run into that I thought I would share though: if you're doing ESXi 6 (or apparently 5.5) with a Samsung SM951, make sure to follow the instructions to get sata-xahci running once you have ESXi installed. I wasted a few hours last night before coming across this excellent post ( Now that you installed ESXi 6.0 with another NI... | VMware Communities ) on how to make the Samsung M.2 drives work in VMWare.

I'll let you know what I think of the performance once I'm fully functional, but for now I'm looking forward to my new little beast with 64GB of RAM and ridiculously fast storage...

Diverge

Feb 24, 2014
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread. I just got my X10SDV-TLN4F yesterday and now have ESXi 6 running on the board. I'm building my first VMs on it now, and have plenty to move over still - but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the platform performs.

One thing I did run into that I thought I would share though: if you're doing ESXi 6 (or apparently 5.5) with a Samsung SM951, make sure to follow the instructions to get sata-xahci running once you have ESXi installed. I wasted a few hours last night before coming across this excellent post ( Now that you installed ESXi 6.0 with another NI... | VMware Communities ) on how to make the Samsung M.2 drives work in VMWare.

I'll let you know what I think of the performance once I'm fully functional, but for now I'm looking forward to my new little beast with 64GB of RAM and ridiculously fast storage...
This guys site is the source of those ESXI drivers, ect. VMware Front Experience

This is what I used when I was messing with it a while back: VMware Front Experience: How to make your unsupported SATA AHCI Controller work with ESXi 5.5 and 6.0 But the thread you linked is more straightforward.

You'll be able to use your samsung M.2 ssd as a datastore, but it won't be bootable until supermicro fixes their bios.. but they don't respond to emails from commoners.. well at least they ignored mine.

Reactions: Chuckleb

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Awesomesauce, thanks Patrick. Still disappointed to see no-one's brought out a mITX with 2x1Gb and 2x10Gb yet...

As I doubt the meagre airflow from the two fans in my U-NAS NSC-800's would be enough to keep the whole thing cooled... does anyone know if there's anything resembling aftermarket HSFs for FBGA667...? Now only another six months before these are shown as available for pre-ordering in the UK for £600.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Spoke to the product manager a few weeks ago. I think these should start seeing availability in the next two weeks.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
For anyone using the SuperMicro X10SDV-TLN4F and are utilizing the 10Gbe NICs, what networking hardware are you using in conjunction with it (switches, GBICs, etc.) and what results are you seeing?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
You bastards, DAMN this is VERY temping at this pricepoint FINALLY, almost glad they are outta stock at least for me. I really did want the 8c 1540 ver but I can wait. Still gonna hold out for knucklehead vendors to plop SPF+ 10G on a board (why is this soo damn hard, 90% of industry uses 10G SFP+ switches...hopefully SM will get on the boat although I know there is a asrock variant). Also highly desire an onboard LSI HBA as well but I can deal w/out that if I get SPF+ 10G nics's onboard.

Any word if the 10G nics work yet w/ ESXi 6.0 or is that still a no-go. If I had one I'd bust my arse to get that driver to compile or drive the vendors nuts to get direction or src to build.