14U Ikea closed server rack ...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
building my V2 closed server rack that inspired by https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ctor-rack-a-k-a-the-silent-of-the-racks.5964/...

My first build V1 that has been running since 2013 , will replace Ikea lackrack ( bending feet due on heavy load)
My on going building V2 will replace current V1 on living room, the server rack must be blended easily.

60% progress.. , need inner parts,new pwm fans controlled by temp sensors with arduino + delta fans, sound damper, and door handles on fake front door.

main parts:
* 2 of sektion modular Kitchen base Cabinet SEKTION Base cabinet for sink - white, Grimslöv off-white - IKEA .

* Ikea Caster (cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot :p) RILL Caster - IKEA

* Get as many free nuts and bolts from Ikea :D. I mean this since buying these from local shop would cost up to $10 total. I regretted not getting many nuts and bolts :p.....

* open-frame server rack 14-15U with full-width( not usable space) minimally 21" : when you DO need air intake on both side, or maximal is 22.5" width; this is the maximum Sektion inner width

the hard part is to get suitable open-frame server rack..

update with on going sound damper and exhaust fans with fan controller/mqtt prototype:
sound damper installation, not fully finished.

fan backplate with arduino controller/mqtt ( needs to add sound damper)

back view with fan backplate closed.

update on July 19th,

my trusty rack environment controller, progress is 80%.
This the main brain to controll fans speeds based on Temperature and Humidity including maintaining MQTT connection, execute command ( I invoke commands) from MQTT broker, and send warning/critical via MQTT broker and loud piezo buzzer (need to add some code).

on a duration, this brain send mqtt update msgs to broker ( basically a subscriber will monitor these and update to whatever current apss, openhab anyone?):
HA/RACK1/HEARTBEAT ALIVE
HA/RACK1/UPDATE/allfans/RPM 1050,1080,1230,1350,1140,1260
HA/RACK1/UPDATE/allfans/CONF/name UPPER_LEFT,UPPER_MID,UPPER_RIGHT,LOWER_LEFT,LOWER_MID,LOWER_RIGHT
HA/RACK1/UPDATE/SENSORS/temps 27.56,27.50,27.63,27.75,27.63,27.75
HA/RACK1/UPDATE/alltemps/CONF/name BACK_LOWER,BACK_UPPER,FRONT_LOWER,FRONT_UPPER,AMBIENT,EXHAUST
HA/RACK1/UPDATE/SENSORS/humids 47.30,50.10
HA/RACK1/UPDATE/allhumids/CONF/name FRONT_HUMID,BACK_HUMID
HA/RACK1/UPDATE/STATUS/local OK,OK,OK,OK,OK
HA/WINK1/HEARTBEAT ALIVE
HA/RACK1/HEARTBEAT ALIVE
* ignore WINK1 update, this is my rooted winkhub with MQTT functionality added.

I plan to add a simple watcher (arduino mini) to monitor this main brain is running or dead).
this is needed due on my experience, when power brick on my prev build was dead and did not realized very soon.

Rear/Back exhaust fans

Internal Rear door

Front side with external LCD Display

Front inside View

LCD Display of IP addresses

LCD Display of Rear Temperature

LCD Display of Front Temperature

LCD Display of Humidity

LCD Display of Rear Fan RPMs

LCD Display of Sensors, RPMs, Humidity, and Health status
<missing :p>

update at my new reply...
2nd update( with pictures: controller, monitor and installed UPS): https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/14u-ikea-closed-server-rack.6171/page-2#post-57743
3rd update (tweaking humdity and PWM trigger): https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/14u-ikea-closed-server-rack.6171/page-2#post-57892
4th update( testing and move running servers/machines to this new rack) : https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/14u-ikea-closed-server-rack.6171/page-2#post-58070
5th update ( all is done, only two missing, 1U blank plates and fake handles) https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/14u-ikea-closed-server-rack.6171/page-2#post-58164
6th update ( all is done, only missing 1U blank plates)
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/14u-ikea-closed-server-rack.6171/page-2#post-58435

99.9% DONE

Last edited:

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
Huh, that is super cool. It can be nicely silent and if you put some low power equipment in it, there also will be a minimum problems with heat.

I am looking for an update.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Huh, that is super cool. It can be nicely silent and if you put some low power equipment in it, there also will be a minimum problems with heat.

I am looking for an update.
This is for server oriented rack
Heat is not an issue due 6X120mm fan delta and sound damper inside.
Fans are pwm, which idling 800 rpm and increase when temperature is raising.. Max rpm is 3000 rpm that rarely happens..
Based on my experience with my first building (you can see on the background), fans are running in 800 to 1200 rpm mostly..
Ptotyping s new env controller with mqtt capable.

The new v2 has side air intake on both sides...

I transplante my knowledge from v1 to v2 build. This should take much less time to build on env controller since have been running home automation with mqtt broker for 3 months.
Mqtt is my bacbone now.

Hrast

Oct 5, 2013
Can we get a supply list when you're done? I'd love to do this, but I'm terrible at adapting things in the "real world".

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Check out my thread about getting a rack in any size/U you need for an affordable price. IT has others voicing their opinion on the build quality too. May work perfect for you, and you can even pick your depth :)

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Check out my thread about getting a rack in any size/U you need for an affordable price. IT has others voicing their opinion on the build quality too. May work perfect for you, and you can even pick your depth :)
link please :D

12U-14/15U is not cheap.
42U is can get easily on craiglist and can not be fitted due on total width is 24" by assuming transform 42U to 14U by shortening the length..

build quality is the most important. I bought from ebay and the build is OK and solid once put the base board and caster on it. the most important part is 21" total width ..
the price is less $$ than startech open rack with ~21" total width.
startech is 2mm steel, and from ebay is 1.5mm thickness.

the main concern is total width since Ikea kitchen cabinet inner width is 22 1/4" - 22 1/2 "
most open-frame rack is 23-24" total width, only some exception on startech 12U that has ~21" ( but $$:p)..

the depth is up to everyone, I pick ~30 for rail mounting " and total depth frame to frame 38" since 2X 3 fans each row will be mounted 45 degree on the back. I am still designing the fan back plane :D and coding on how to handle fan rpms.

Hrast

Oct 5, 2013
My concern is the decibel level. I feel like the actual answer is to just suck it up and pay for a Netshelter CX Mini, but man, that is a fair bit of coin for a box.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
My concern is the decibel level. I feel like the actual answer is to just suck it up and pay for a Netshelter CX Mini, but man, that is a fair bit of coin for a box.
I lucked out and found a Netshelter CX mini on my local Craigslist, decommissioned from a vinyard no less !
It has a few minor dings, is full of dust, no Pinot stains (this is the Willamette Valley after all) , and should clean up nicely. It's really a simple design, very reminiscent of the old projector "hush boxes".

Reactions: coolrunnings82

canta

Nov 26, 2014
no worry on that

you NEED sound dampen/damper as netshelter CX has..
without sound damper, netshelter CX is nothing.

I did my V1 and can reduced noise much :p.
and will more do professionally on V2 , and not bit of coin for a box.

do you want to pay CX mini for 1.6K -2.0K + shipping :D
do not forget to add cost adding 3 fans module too :D..
Not on me :p

updated with sound damper, still on going .....

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I lucked out and found a Netshelter CX mini on my local Craigslist, decommissioned from a vinyard no less !
It has a few minor dings, is full of dust, no Pinot stains (this is the Willamette Valley after all) , and should clean up nicely. It's really a simple design, very reminiscent of the old projector "hush boxes".
haha you are lucky, None on my area. has been hunting for 3 years :p

netshelter CX is very simple design, the key is sound damper and sucking out hot air out for the enclosure.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I have almost finish up ..... (not really :p)
"My concern is the decibel level" ? not anymore.... :)

Note: update my progress...

canta

Nov 26, 2014
@canta - what is that can controller thing?
on current plan:

Controlling rack temperature via speeding up/down fans through fan's PWM.

3 temperature sensors on rear (up, low, and exhaust).
3 temperature sensor on front (up, low, and ambient)
2 humidity sensors (rear, and front)
6 of 120mm PWM fan( Delta branded), max speed is 3400RPM. Working range is 900 - 2000 RPM is adequate on my testing.

I am using (the same concepts on my previous build) Google practical practices and other info on the net:
* ambient temp max is 85F. averate is 70-82F. 2-3F delta for best practice before hit critical temp
* Humidity range 40 - 60% . less than 40% is not ideal. higher 60% is critical
* Delta Temperature between intake and rear internal rack should be 10% max bay assuming ambient temperature is less or equal than 85F. I take a safe bet on 83F
* rear internal temperature maximum is 40F, and again taking a safe bet on 39F

basically all status are displayed on LCD and MQTT msgs.
this rack status of MQTT persepective HA/RACK1/UPDATE/STATUS/local /<rear_up_fans>,<rear_low_fans>,<Humidity>,<something_that_I_forgot>,<overall_health>
status state: OK, WR(warning), CR(Critical)
basically when hitting Critical on overall_health field, I need to shut down the whole systems due on extreme condition.

Last edited:

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Ah I see that picture @MiniKnight ---- it looks like it's a Raspberry Pi w/ a PWM block atop to me.
that is not Pi since does not have mucho GPIO :D

that is Arduino Mega 2560 (clone version from ebay) with my customized board on the top of Ethernet Shield(clone version).

my customized board provides 6 Temp Sensors, 2 Humidity Sensors, 6 PWM fans, and 2 connectors for external LCD Display.

overall memory of static memory usage is 65% ( maximum safety net for me is 70-75%). the rest is for dynamic allocation
that 65% is including debug codes and will drop to 45% when I disable debug codes :)
debug codes is needed for troubleshooting via serial since arduino has no display.

arduino mega 2560 has 8kByte RAM, 256KByte flash, and 4K EEPROM. some flash and ram are occupied by bootloader (as I know), the total will be a little less than total except for EEPROM.