Questions About Moving to 10gbe

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Roman2179

Sep 23, 2013
Well, everything has arrived and it is time to start setting things up. So far my first few attempts in setting up my Ubnt ERL and Mikrotik switch ended up with me resetting to factory defaults a handful of times. As I've said before, I am fairly competent on the hardware side and pretty much have zero experience on the network side of things.

Any hints for setting up VLANS on the edgerouter and the Mikrotik switch? As a side note, I did upgrade the ERL to the newest firmware. Looks like I'll need to learn the CLI commands to manage the router and switch. Should be an interesting learning curve.

Thanks everyone!

EDIT:
Well, a few more resets of the switch and I am still not sure how to get the VLANs to work how I want them or if I am even using them correctly for that matter.

I would like ports 2-16, 25 and 26 to be in the 192.168.20.0 subnet, 17-22 in the 192.168.30.0 subnet and in 23-24 in the 192.168.40.0 subnet. I have the VLAN groups setup and port 1 is in all of the groups. I have DCHP setup for all of the VLANs and subnets setup in the EdgeRouter. Am I just completely missunderstanding how VLANs work?

Last edited:

Roman2179

Sep 23, 2013
As a quick update, I got everything setup but I haven't done any performance testing yet. I was happy to get rid of a ton of network cables from my small rack though.

On whole other topic, what is a good replacement for .dev TLDs? I have been using that for my internal network for some time but google just purchased it. Now I can't get to some of my internal sites and servers due to the wonderful ERR_ICANN_NAME_COLLISION error. So what TLDs do you guys use for your internal domains?

Really frustrating that Google took .dev. I really don't want go and fix it all on my local network but now looks like I don't have a choice.

Last edited:

Roman2179

Sep 23, 2013
At first I thought my domain servers were acting up in the change over to new subnets, new network topology and a new router but I guess that's not the case. Thanks, Google! Ugh

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I've always used '.local'. I had thought this was reserved for this use but to be fair I can't quote an RFC that says so.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
.local - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Although .local is an officially reserved Special-Use Domain Name[6] and such host names will never be resolvable by the global Domain Name System, a considerable proportion of the queries submitted to it do specify that pseudo-TLD"

If you believe WikiPedia

And then:

phishing - If someone bought the .local TLD could that be a security risk? - Information Security Stack Exchange

Top level domain/domain suffix for private network? - Server Fault

Pseudo-top-level domain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stop using .local as the top level domain for your LAN | miketelahun

Reactions: Chuckleb

Roman2179

Sep 23, 2013
Hmm, maybe I'll switch to .lan or finally buy another domain name and not worry about it again.

Looks like the domain name I have been using is available. Probably worth the couple dollars a year to just buy it.

herby

Aug 18, 2013
Hmm, maybe I'll switch to .lan or finally buy another domain name and not worry about it again.

Looks like the domain name I have been using is available. Probably worth the couple dollars a year to just buy it.
Do that. Its pretty cheap if you go for one of the lamer TLDs like my .INFO

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
They have some cool ones now that are cheap that's for sure, although even .com isn't expensive now days.

.rocks
.info
.cc
.link

Are some interesting ones I've used recently :D

bug2th

Jan 7, 2015
Was also looking at the chelsio s310e card - they say to only use chelsio transceivers/cables. . Anyone know if cisco sfp+ twinax are compatible? And is it ok to connect the mellanox directly to a chelsio card?

I have run both Mikrotik and Brocade compatible (Fiberstore) in mine. Much like the ConnectX-2 cards they don't seem to really care.

I would definitely look into DACs. Can save some money that way, especially if both ends do not care (no vendor lock-in). i.e. Mikrotik S+DA0001 works great at < 30$ shipped.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
There should be no issues connecting a chelsio card to the Mellanox ones. Not sure about the transceivers/cables though.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
Was also looking at the chelsio s310e card - they say to only use chelsio transceivers/cables. . Anyone know if cisco sfp+ twinax are compatible? And is it ok to connect the mellanox directly to a chelsio card?
For what it is worth, I bought one of these S310E cards(PN 110-1107-30 ) and it came with a Cisco SFP+ Twinax DAC cable. The card is able to detect it and use it just fine.

I bought it in hopes that FreeNAS would play nice with the card and it does!

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
IIRC Brocade's 10G cards care about which brand of optics you use, but I'm not aware of any other PCIe network cards that care. I haven't had issues with Intel, Mellanox, or the single Chelsio card that I own.

If your hardware *does* care, just order a "compatible" SFP+ from Fiberstore. They're cheaper than generic SFPs from eBay half the time anyway.

While I'm at it, I'll throw out a weak anti-recommendation for Chelsio with OpenIndiana. I was having all sorts of weird network issues, and discovered that it would occasionally send NFS traffic to 00:00:00:00:00:00 and it was somehow crashing my Gnodal switch once or twice per week. I finally got fed up with it and moved the server to Ubuntu with the same hardware, and all that went away.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
I also tested out the S310E-CR cards with 10Gbase-SR transceivers to see if they would have issues using optical transceivers instead of Twinax. No problems with Finisar ftlx8571d3bcl transceivers.

Reactions: TangoWhiskey9