Micron PCIe SLC SSDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
How would one attach a PCIE SSD that looks like a SATA SSD?

Does this "fit" a special Dell slot?

Todd

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
How would one attach a PCIE SSD that looks like a SATA SSD?

Does this "fit" a special Dell slot?

Todd
Likely just a standard 2.5" NVMe drive. Uses a modified SAS drive connector on the drive and a 12G 4 port SAS connector on the host.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Likely just a standard 2.5" NVMe drive. Uses a modified SAS drive connector on the drive and a 12G 4 port SAS connector on the host.
But is it considered a PCIE drive if it doesn't plug into a PCIE slot?

IE: You buy it, and you get a 2.5" it's not PCIE or is it because it uses PCIE system?

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Reactions: T_Minus

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Likely just a standard 2.5" NVMe drive.
So it seems it isn't a NVMe drive, or maybe I'm reading into it too far. "In fact, Dell has confirmed that the backplane, expander card and cabling can all be upgraded as the storage evolves, namely to NVMe" - from the link in the post above me.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
So it seems it isn't a NVMe drive, or maybe I'm reading into it too far. "In fact, Dell has confirmed that the backplane, expander card and cabling can all be upgraded as the storage evolves, namely to NVMe" - from the link in the post above me.
From a 2013 review at Dell PowerEdge R720 12G Review | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews "Dell's thoughtful design is evident throughout, and the Express Flash components are even upgradable as newer iterations of that technology come out, like NVM Express".

That they are hinting at future NVMe upgradability of course means that they were not NVMe at the time.

That was 2013. Now we have a few hints that there is an NVMe driver available:
NVMe Product Registry | InterOperability Laboratory
NVM Express™ (NVMe) Testing Services Equipment | InterOperability Laboratory

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Not NVMe but a custom driver stack that accomplishes basically the same thing. You just download the driver to install.

I have two of these.

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
But is it considered a PCIE drive if it doesn't plug into a PCIE slot?

IE: You buy it, and you get a 2.5" it's not PCIE or is it because it uses PCIE system?
Yes, the interface is still PCIe and as such its still a PCIe drive. Just means that people need to actually check form factors now, which they should of always been doing.

Reactions: T_Minus and Patrick

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
Literally everything except the driver stack is NVMe. NVMe 2.5" connector, NVMe cabling (same as 12G SAS 4x), etc.

Reactions: T_Minus

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
This is just pre-NVMe implementation of something like NVMe. PCIe over cable.

serverian

Mar 24, 2013
Not NVMe but a custom driver stack that accomplishes basically the same thing. You just download the driver to install.

I have two of these.
@Patrick, do you have the Linux driver for P320H's? It looks like Micron removed them from the website as they return 404.

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
Literally everything except the driver stack is NVMe. NVMe 2.5" connector, NVMe cabling (same as 12G SAS 4x), etc.
Even when he would said "No, i don´t have it" , actually i wouldn´t believe (He´s probably NDA Classified :D )