SuperBiiz & RETURNS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
They wouldn't let me RMA/Return an item a couple days past their "30 day" window, even though items were NIB and I've done couple grand monthly now for a few months.

I hassled with them a couple days that turned to weeks.

I even offered to take a $160/hit for store credit to purchase different items that would have me shelling out additional $250 (total purchase ~$1200). NOPE, they refused that too.

Their BBB rating is terrible, for poor customer service. The company is run by bean counters that don't understand or care about customers or b2b relationships, it's VERY obvious by their replies about WHY they denied my RMA. "We pay more now so we can't take it back". to "We have too much in stock so we can't take it back". They used those plus other #/excuses, which I understand but as a customer who's going to dump $ back into your biz that's a terrible choice to show me you can't do refunds past 30 days for NIB items.

The Fix!
Turns out if you use American Express you may be in luck with returns, they have a program that extends the return to 90 days for "like new" items. Max 1k/year $300/item. Since the invoice is itemized each of the same RAM is a different AMEX RETURN claim ... ie: it takes a good amount of time on the phone but it looks like I should get near 100% back minus shipping.

I think this is going to be a longer process than a "Chargeback" but it's the "legit" way to return an item that's new or "like new" to AMEX and get your $ back.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I need to get me an AmEx card. I wonder if I'd qualify for a Centurion?
Only $10k to get going... LOL :)

TIP #2: Use different cards for recurring billing than 'normal' purchases.

I use my AMEX Starwoods mostly, but my AMEX PLAT I use for recurring biz expenses (including % off Verizon)... I've been to Vegas too many times and have had my card # stolen 2x while there and we do NOT go to shady places, and updating auto-rebills for biz is a PAIN.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
They wouldn't let me RMA/Return an item a couple days past their "30 day" window, even though items were NIB and I've done couple grand monthly now for a few months.

I hassled with them a couple days that turned to weeks.

I even offered to take a $160/hit for store credit to purchase different items that would have me shelling out additional $250 (total purchase ~$1200). NOPE, they refused that too.

Their BBB rating is terrible, for poor customer service. The company is run by bean counters that don't understand or care about customers or b2b relationships, it's VERY obvious by their replies about WHY they denied my RMA. "We pay more now so we can't take it back". to "We have too much in stock so we can't take it back". They used those plus other #/excuses, which I understand but as a customer who's going to dump $ back into your biz that's a terrible choice to show me you can't do refunds past 30 days for NIB items.

The Fix!
Turns out if you use American Express you may be in luck with returns, they have a program that extends the return to 90 days for "like new" items. Max 1k/year $300/item. Since the invoice is itemized each of the same RAM is a different AMEX RETURN claim ... ie: it takes a good amount of time on the phone but it looks like I should get near 100% back minus shipping.

I think this is going to be a longer process than a "Chargeback" but it's the "legit" way to return an item that's new or "like new" to AMEX and get your $ back.
What if you use AMEX, but the transaction was via Paypal? Does the extended return window still work?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
What if you use AMEX, but the transaction was via Paypal? Does the extended return window still work?
It should, AMEX only needs to see the INVOICE (itemized) which shouldn't be a pypal invoice you should get a paypal invoice + one from the retailer. That's how it's been for me from all online stores.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Tip #3: do your returns inside the published return intervals for your vendors...
Obviously that would have been easiest. However, when dealing with reps from companies I EXPECT some leniency, especially on NIB items that are only a couple days out of return windows AND when I want to spend more than the return cost. That's bad business. I didn't buy this retail on their site I have a sales rep, who did nothing because she "couldn't", she only gave me the reasons WHY they wouldn't let it back. (Bean-counter reasons)

Again, it's not even about the 30 day window. It's the fact that no matter what they refused the items back. I offered them $$ on top of the return allowing them to profit even more, and was turned down. They REFUSE to work with you, that's not how to run an online business.

I consult for ECOM businesses and almost all of my clients have a 45%+ re-purchase rate year after year. Why? Because they offer AWESOME customer service. IF you sell an item, and stick to your posted rules 100% you will eventually build a bad reputation of a company that refuses to deal with customers. It sucks but it's the world we live in today.

Look how much everyone loves amazon. Easy to use, and awesome customer experience. They only allow returns within 30 days but guess what I've returned things to amazon after 6 months because of the volume I do. They say "No message can change the return blah blah" well that's not true I've had them change it numerous times. The posted "rules" for RMA are baseline general cover my ass rules, they can all make exceptions, and that's what's really bugged me about SUperBiiz their 0 exception policy. I only ordered from them because they are in CA and I am too so I get items within 2 days, it's better for me to order from B&H pay 0 tax, 0 shipping to save some money.

My clients that go out of there way to handle returns, broken items, etc have a higher re-purchase rate and a higher per-purchase rate and a much higher customer LTV.

In fact one of the things I suggest ECOM clients spending $$ on is a live chat, ticket system, rma system, order management and more to make it SIMPLE for customers to do all of these things because it's SO IMPORTANT.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
"because of the volume I do" -- you quoted it yourself! If you want >30 day return policy where the reseller has to eat the cost of the items (minus ebay costs), you need to establish enough business for them.

They are drop shippers, they do not get >30 days to return items period.

So if you do enough business with them, sure they will eat some return costs now and then but open-box goods are pretty much used and no wholesaler will take them back unless defective!

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I think you missed the 1st line, items were NIB ;) They aren't open box, used, etc... I also did not want to return, but trade/out for other inventory and spend more money with them. At worst they would have profited less, not lost money.

They told me flat out that they had too much inventory, and were paying less for this now than before. That's why I offered other resolutions where we both come out just fine with me taking around a 155$ loss for the 'store credit' option I offered them.

I know for a fact they don't make enough profit on RAM to care about me if only I purchased ram... but maybe they do for SuperMicro parts that I also have been buying from them??? And small misc parts that I know have > margins. Sure they're not getting rich off me but they're cash-flowing + from my purchases.

The point is I'm not buying from them any longer. I now will wait for shipping *cry*, amazon/newegg/superbiiz have spoiled with 1-2 day (grnd) shipping.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Well i'm telling you they drop-ship the gear, so they have to eat the cost of you returning your items, since no wholesaler will take back goods after the 30 days from purchase (they cut PO) date.

Now if you had bought enough from them to absorb the loss, sure they would eat the loss to keep you happy!

But remember margins on hardware is very slim. 3-7% margin minus 3% for amex fee's ! $155 loss equals a lot of sales (155 * 33)!

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Well i'm telling you they drop-ship the gear, so they have to eat the cost of you returning your items, since no wholesaler will take back goods after the 30 days from purchase (they cut PO) date.

Now if you had bought enough from them to absorb the loss, sure they would eat the loss to keep you happy!

But remember margins on hardware is very slim. 3-7% margin minus 3% for amex fee's ! $155 loss equals a lot of sales (155 * 33)!
I understand all of what you are saying. But I don't think you understand what I'm saying, let me clarify. I AM taking the loss, NOT THEM.

I spent $955

I asked for $800 credit.

$155 for 6 ram sticks is probably MORE than they profited. I was fine to let them essentially keep all the profit and then some from my previous purchase.

I offered them $155 free money, and to use the $800 credit + 400 more $$$ to buy more from them.

They said no.

I don't care if you're only making 10% because I just offered you ~15% free money, and to spend the rest of my credit/$$ + some so you could make your usual 4-10%.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah but you asked them to take back $955, which they may be able to sell for $500 on ebay. Then you asked for $800 credit. So they are in the hole $455 which would require a bit more than $800 in more sales to make up !

Plus the sales reps work on commission and having to eat $955 in lost profit when they are making 2% commission on sales could wipe them out for the pay-week!

I hear you but i'm trying to tell you how they see it!

Not saying either way is right, but times are tight in IT sales and not everyone is Amazon! (who doesn't appear to be making that much profit on their yearly sales!)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Wow, do you work for SuperBiiz? You are either making a lot of assumptions or you have worked there.

I only ask because it seems to me you're talking out of your ass.

1. You ASSUME they could sell it on ebay, why would they spend the time? They wouldn't. They don't. It's NIB, it's able to sell AS-IS.

2. You're ASSUMING the sales price on ebay.

3. Sales reps from what I've been told and heard are NOT paid on commission.

4. I said 1400 in sales, $800 credit + 400 cash.

I feel you're reading half what I'm saying, making up assumptions and replying.
You, yourself are taking the "bean counter" argument, and then making assumptions on top of it.

I'm posting facts I've bee told, or facts I know to be true.

I don't get why you're arguing with me unless you work there, have a financial stake in their business or are trying to show-off with your assumptions.

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Nah I just work for a reseller of comparable.

1. If they don't sell the return on ebay, who is going to pay for the $955 return? Not them!
2. I took the numbers from your post!
3. Someone is paid on commission in that company, trust me!

I'm just giving you a point of view from online resellers.

I don't agree with their solution for you at all! but I'm just saying why they might have chosen the route with you that they did!

No hard feelings man!

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I understand your POV from a retailer bean-counter perspective and have no hard feelings. I speak my mind, and hope I haven't offended you either.

My POV comes from being an ECOM consultant for the last 10 or so years.
I specialize in increasing sales, user experience, customer satisfaction and just overall increasing sales for companies. If I didn't know what I was doing I wouldn't be in business.

My opinion on how they should have handled it is exactly how I would have suggested my clients handle returns.

I have 1 client that would send out replacements with nothing in return, and just ran on faith he'd get the items back. They are now known as #1 customer service in their niche, their re-purchase rate is often 55% in a given month but average is 49%. Year after year we've seen multi-million dollar growth, and this was a startup with "hard real parts" not software, or saas, and is already 5+ years old and still managing this. They also lost an avg of 2-3$ on shipping on every order for 1+ years because it was easier on the customer. It worked, orders always are flying in. (Now we've fixed that, and have a proper RMA procedure in place that's EASY and FAST!!)

ANYWAY.

I hope this thread has helped others learn about the AMEX protection, and that SuperBiiz is not lenient on their return policy. (Also noted on the BBB site too.)
Call, and make sure you have it though :) with your card. (Mine was on starwoods

PersonalJ

May 17, 2013
Extended return periods are a fairly common perk if you pay in full with a credit card, as are extended warranties and even accidental damage protection. Most people are unaware of these perks and never take advantage of them.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Extended return periods are a fairly common perk if you pay in full with a credit card, as are extended warranties and even accidental damage protection. Most people are unaware of these perks and never take advantage of them.
I've NEVER taken advantage of any of the American Express perks until now. The only thing I've ever really needed to do are charge-backs for companies who refuse to stop auto-billing you. (XM, McAfee are 2 that come to mind.)

I think we should all examine the CC perks. We know they sure like to stick it to us if we do something remotely "wrong" in their eyes/terms. We may as well utilize what we've got and/or are paying for on some of these cards :)