Supermicro 4u 24 bay chassis with SAS2 expander

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Angus

Mar 3, 2015
If you have an ebay app on your phone try that.. I've found that on the web site sometimes.. but the phone still lets me email them.

Not sure if its an Ebay bug or if its a preference where they say if I don't ship to you don't contact me...

But I just checked and I can email him from my phone..

Reactions: Kristian

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Does anybody know how to contact them via eBay?
When I try to do that I keep getting the message:
"We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

Wrote them via their facebook site to ask for measurements and weight to see if I can afford to have it shipped to Europe via mail forwarding companies
use desktop web browser, ask questions->others->"write your answer"->send(done).

Reactions: Kristian

badskater

Automation Architect
May 8, 2013
Canada

That's the error i get all the time. Looks like he blocked out of USA buyers or something...

can you send or prompted errors

I can send to seller. That is the easy way for me to ask something or double checking the item.

Angus

Mar 3, 2015
It worked for me through the app.. and he did say he will ship to Canada... I did not get an exact quote yet but he said ~100ish.. seems pretty reasonable to me...

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Around $100 is what I've been paying for 2u boxes so that seems reasonable. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit more. Good to know we can get them!

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
I received an answer via Facebook. It really seems to be the case, that buyers from outside the us are beeing blocked.
Thanks for all the ideas.
Shipping from mail forwarder to Germany will be $124...
So lets wait and see what shipping from seller to mailforwarder will be.

Weight: 65lbs Dimensions: 34in x 24in x 12in

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
-.- *seig*
After being blocked from contacting certified servers on eBay (because I am from outside the US) I contacted the via FB and got a response:

They asked me to provide the addresses of my mail forwarders, so they could tell me what it would cost to ship a chassis to borderlinx(in Ohio) /shipitto (Nevada).

So I provided the addresses.

The answer: (Buckle your seatbelts!)
Hi Kristian, In order for us to assist you better, please message our ebay seller ID with your questions. Thanks!

*wooooosaaaaaaah*

So I am done with this seller.
MrRackables is very supportive, but uses DB Schenker which will charge US $300 to get the job done.
And that is way over my budget.
So no chassis for me :-(

Jose U

Feb 2, 2015
New York, NY
-.- *seig*
After being blocked from contacting certified servers on eBay (because I am from outside the US) I contacted the via FB and got a response:

They asked me to provide the addresses of my mail forwarders, so they could tell me what it would cost to ship a chassis to borderlinx(in Ohio) /shipitto (Nevada).

So I provided the addresses.

The answer: (Buckle your seatbelts!)
Hi Kristian, In order for us to assist you better, please message our ebay seller ID with your questions. Thanks!

*wooooosaaaaaaah*

So I am done with this seller.
MrRackables is very supportive, but uses DB Schenker which will charge US $300 to get the job done.
And that is way over my budget.
So no chassis for me :-(
I once emailed them at sales@certifiedservers.net and I was able to get an answer, maybe you can try through there.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
Do these drive trays have mounting holes for SSDs? I was hoping to pick one of these up for my backup array (4TB drives) and also throw in my SSDs for a SOFS implementation at home.

Rain

May 13, 2013
Do these drive trays have mounting holes for SSDs? I was hoping to pick one of these up for my backup array (4TB drives) and also throw in my SSDs for a SOFS implementation at home.
No, you cannot mount 2.5" drives to the stock trays. Its not that they lack holes, the trays lack a bottom all together, so you can't drill holes or even jerry-rig it. SuperMicro sells 2.5"-supporting trays for the 846 flavor of chassis though, I believe.

(I'd lookup the part number for you, but I'm on my phone... on a plane about to take off... ;))

Last edited:

MikeC

Apr 27, 2013
UK
No, you cannot mount 2.5" drives to the stock trays. Its not that they lack holes, the trays lack a bottom all together, so you can't drill holes or even jerry-rig it. SuperMicro sells 2.5"-supporting rails for the 846 flavor of chassis though, I believe.

(I'd lookup the part number for you, but I'm on my phone... on a plane about to take off... ;))
MCP-220-00043-0N are the ones you need I think. Google it to see pictures!

Reactions: Rain

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I just posted about the trays in the HD section ;) They're on sale for $12 right now.

Better than the $16-20 I see other gen trays go for :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I only seen a post that had no information in it?

Did I miss something?
Sorry I edited it, I must have removed that.

SuperBiiz.com has them on sale for $11.99 last week, I got mine early this week.

EDITED: Awaiting reply./

Last edited:

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
Oh man... I spent a good bit of time looking and researching this thing and didn't even notice till hours later the backplane is 3Gb instead of 6Gb. My goal was to put 8 SSDs and a few big drives for backup in it but without SATA III that kinda kills it for me. Maybe I'm not looking at the right enclosure =/

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
If you don't get the backplane upgraded to SAS2 then you're stuck at SAS1 speeds, correct. That's the standard backplane in theseo lder 4Us.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
If you're going to pay,may as well stick the SAS3 BP in. At least we have upgarde options in thefuture, lol