Suggestion: Front Page Updates

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Patrick, could you throw together a script or something to clear the cache on the front page every time you put an article up please?

Every time there is a new article, I am alerted to it on G+ or TapaTalk (on my phone), but when I go to the front page it's never there and I am sad.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Patrick, could you throw together a script or something to clear the cache on the front page every time you put an article up please?

Every time there is a new article, I am alerted to it on G+ or TapaTalk (on my phone), but when I go to the front page it's never there and I am sad.
This is really strange. Just so you are aware, I have actually been hitting publish, then manually purging varnish, then validating on three different machines for the past few weeks. I am fairly confident that there is something else going on at this point.

Have others been seeing this issue?

badskater

Automation Architect
May 8, 2013
Canada
I have seen the issue as well. On my mobile phone, no problems, but on my desktop, or work laptop, I do have that problem as well.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
I haven't been as active on the forums recently, but the front page is updating for me by the time I get notifications.

badskater

Automation Architect
May 8, 2013
Canada
Still not updating here. Phone and Tablet are fine, just laptop and desktop as said before that haven't updated.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Still not updating here. Phone and Tablet are fine, just laptop and desktop as said before that haven't updated.
Interestingly enough, I had a brand new and my old laptop today. I purposefully did not go to STH on the new machine and used a new browser to visit every post.

Both sets of machines though were displaying the new page. Still trying to figure out this behavior.

badskater

Automation Architect
May 8, 2013
Canada
I'm trying to understand varnish, so I can't help there... I'm not used to cache servers, so I don't understand the underlying technology there.

Here's what I see on laptop and desktop, while on phone and tablet, I do see the 3 Xeon D articles.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
I'm trying to understand varnish, so I can't help there... I'm not used to cache servers, so I don't understand the underlying technology there.

Here's what I see on laptop and desktop, while on phone and tablet, I do see the 3 Xeon D articles.
You're also using browser add-ins not a stock browser. Easy way to tell is that the ads are not displayed. I've found that screws with some websites enough I turned mine off.

If your laptop and desktop are both using similar add-ins but your phone and tablet are not, then it might be those add-ins causing your issue.

Working fine for me BTW + I support the site since the ads here are like 1/10th of standard.

badskater

Automation Architect
May 8, 2013
Canada
Adblock Plus is disabled on STH for that reason. It doesn't have much which is fine, will check the config of the Adblock for it, but it isn't supposed to work on the site.