Restless: What's my system worth, should I upgrade?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Another one of my favorite description "Missing Capacitors" in the listing, it would knock the price down drastically.

There are few missing decouple capacitors in the bottom of the cpu chip, but every server system boards that I observed , has some decouple capacitors at the cpu sockets. I never have trouble with the 1 to few missing cpu capacitors, even with 24 hours run of Prime95 test.
Please keep in mind, I am using these ES at home, not for production or business use.

Reactions: gigatexal

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Another one of my favorite description "Missing Capacitors" in the listing, it would knock the price down drastically.

There are few missing decouple capacitors in the bottom of the cpu chip, but every server system boards that I observed , has some decouple capacitors at the cpu sockets. I never have trouble with the 1 to few missing cpu capacitors, even with 24 hours run of Prime95 test.
Please keep in mind, I am using these ES at home, not for production or business use.
Woah, that is some crazy stuff, so basically those capacitors are more like a buffer than critically needed? Thanks for all these insights :)

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
@gigatexal
@chinesestunna

INTEL XEON E5-4640 2.4GHz PROCESSOR SR0QT *PARTS or REPAIR*
Intel Xeon E5 4640 2 4GHz Processor SR0QT Parts or Repair | eBay

Looks interesting, no bid yet at $199
SRxx =Retail
Qxxx = ES

Retail sold as not working bothers me slightly .

If anyone has questions on ES chips and stepping etc feel free to ask... I will probably have an answer for anything 2006 on... I have had hands on with every chip made between then and now... pretty much all steppings.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I wouldn't go from an x5670 to an E5-2620.

I have both, and unless you're memory bandwidth limited there's probably a 'slight' slow down feel, even accounting for a 20% increase in performance per-core from the E5. I went with the 2011 for the 10Gb/s NICs & onboard LSI RAID vs. buying them separate and spending more on old technology. (Thus, why I had the x5670 system for sale -- but it has bad ram or motherboard ram slot issue, gotta figure out which ASAP so I can get $/refund from seller if not too late, been a while.)

I'd wait for 8core+ to become affordable for you or just spend a bit more.
I'd also try to go Haswell for the $$ saved on power. The 2x E5-2620 w/128gb RAM idles ~130w with 0 drives, I didn't check today with 5drives & 2ssd.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
it has bad ram or motherboard ram slot issue
The "bad ram" or "bad slot" is quickly tested by populating slots and swapping DIMMS.
If the problem persists (and it often does), whenever I've come across this issue, 9 times out of 10 its related to LGA pins either being misaligned in X,Y or Z. I'm fortunate that I can get access to a good microscope with illumination to investigate and repair, and if I get really stuck we have a brilliant tech who is a wiz with micro repair.

IMHO the LGA sockets are fragile components that need to be treat with respect. The Molex LGA2011 sockets have a durability rating of > 30 cycles .. typically more then enough for commercial "insert once never remove" applications, but those of us with inquiring minds may run into that number quite quickly !