news round up is a great new feature

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kiwi

Jan 30, 2011
Patrick,

The weekly roundup is good. When is the OCZ Z-Drive R3 PCI-Express going to be available and what are the costs and when will we see a review of this on your site?

Regards,
Robert

PS hammer OCZ to get samples of this for testing.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hi Robert!

All great questions for which I still do not have an answer :) I basically have been purchasing all hardware reviewed on the site to this point, but I will probably start trying to get some review samples in the near future. Buying everything gets expensive over time.

Regards,
Patrick

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Revodrive is not worth throwing money away on because:
- You can duplicate it functionally with a good raid controller and 4-8 small SSDs
- The Raid+SSD version will be at least $100 cheaper, even if you go with top-of-the-line components
- The Raid+SSD version will perform better (especially since OCZ chose to go cheap on the raid chips in the Revodrive)
- The Raid+SSD version can be upgraded as technology evolves
- The list goes on and on and on

The one and only reason I can think of where you might prefer the Revodrive would be if you had physical constraints in your application that made the SSDs unwieldy, such as a highly constrained physical environment in your case.

Kiwi

Jan 30, 2011
I am interested in solutions

Revodrive is not worth throwing money away on because:
- You can duplicate it functionally with a good raid controller and 4-8 small SSDs
- The Raid+SSD version will be at least $100 cheaper, even if you go with top-of-the-line components
- The Raid+SSD version will perform better (especially since OCZ chose to go cheap on the raid chips in the Revodrive)
- The Raid+SSD version can be upgraded as technology evolves
- The list goes on and on and on

The one and only reason I can think of where you might prefer the Revodrive would be if you had physical constraints in your application that made the SSDs unwieldy, such as a highly constrained physical environment in your case.
Thanks for the response PL and your points have merit however there are more PCI-E storage solutions being announced, see OCZ (the Z-Drive R3) and LSI. Regardless of their differences, and similarities, to a RAID+SSD solution, they are a solution that bears consideration and I am hoping that Patrick can get his hands on some to run through his testing.

Legit Reviews just reviewed a LSI solution here and drew comparisons to
OCZ's Revo x2 drive though they don't compete as the LSI setup is 10 x the cost.