New Project - Supermicro IPMI 2.0 BIOS Update Live CD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

worldmap21

Jan 4, 2015
dear Patrick
Download the ISO file from another source, I do not need to upload the files, thanks for everything.

Mark Bradley

Feb 21, 2015
Virginia
Hi.

Is there a list of steps to rebuild the ISO? The link isn't working and what I'd like to do is build a boot-able (DOS??) CD, add the X9SCM-F BIOS files and update via IPMI.

Well, my real issue is that I cannot boot from the internal USB and I'm hoping/assuming it'll be there in the latest BIOS. I currently have 2.0b. Perhaps that's a different thread...

Thanks,
Mark

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You could stick the ISO on a CDN like RackSpae Files or Amazon S3 and allow public access. I'm not sure how large it was, but the RackSpace file+CDN is very affordable we use it for clients. It utilizes the Akamai CDN, so it's not just RackSpace servers/few locations it's rather robust.

If that's not an option I can host it, I have 20TB + uninitialized per-month.

Mark Bradley

Feb 21, 2015
Virginia
T_Minus,

I appreciate the suggestions and hope it can be (again) made available. If that's not possible then I'd think the cookbook on how to do it would be the next best thing. I'm hoping it was created with Linux utilities but anything is better than nothing. :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Feel free to message me it, and I can host it and allocate a limit of 500gb per-month and see how that goes.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Mark Bradley et. al. - I updated the link in the first post with the newer version.

Hosting is not really an issue, it just takes up a lot of space in backups.

Reactions: T_Minus

StellyUK

Apr 15, 2015
Thanks Patrick :)

This should work with 5014 to 9260 in theory right? Following your steps?

btw thanks alot for that article :)

Stelly

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Stelly, it should. You can also get more up-to-date firmware and then use a tool like PowerISO to add them to the LiveCD image.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
The reason I made a CD was so that I can use IPMI to do the flashing. Decided to add the LSI BIOS files too.
After doing USB to 2 servers today <10min total, I think the CD will be useful for when I'm not there... duh :)

I've got 5+ SM boards to test this on soon, 2-3 weeks.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@Mark Bradley et. al. - I updated the link in the first post with the newer version.

Hosting is not really an issue, it just takes up a lot of space in backups.
Sounds like some clients of mine... their usage baloons from an already large 12gb store to 20gb, and then backups start going WTF IS ALL THIS SPACE! I finally had to put a 10gb limit on nightly backups, and overage charges, etc... lol

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
@Patrick - I already flashed my BIOS to something more recent than what is in your Live CD (I have an X9SCM-f), so I don't want to re-flash again. Any chance you can just tell us how you fixed the "Error when sending Enable Message to ME !!" error when running your ami2.bat?

Thanks!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@altano I would assume there are many new versions but the idea is that it is bootable and something people can use.

On the other hand, it has been a long time since I have used an X9 E3 motherboard.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
If anyone's curious, you can use this guide to create your own bootable ISO containing the drivers. Also, in order to get my X9SCM-F upgraded to the latest BIOS, I went through these steps:

1. Updated to latest BIOS and got "Error when sending Enable Message to ME !!" error
2. Tried Patrick's ISO and got the same error.
3. Updated to the BIOS linked to in this post which allowed me to successfully get to a 2.x BIOS
4. Update to the latest BIOS again, this time successfully.

You can almost surely skip the first two failed steps but that was my path to success.