hang/stuck at "initializing ACPI" supermicro X8STI-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I cannot seem to get past this stage when booting up esxi 5.5. This is a server board which appears to have all its components supported.
How do I get around this?

Any help appreciated.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Thank you for responding Mike. I tried those options, especially the noACPI with a shift o during boot up. Still it froze. Is there any particular ACPI or settings in bios I should be aware of?

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
Make sure you are not UEFI booting. I had this issue and when I booted my ESXi stick not under the UEFI setting it worked.

Boot selection was something like

UEFI: SMUSB Disk
SMUSB Disk
NetworkBlahBlah

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
this motherboard has an old phoenix AMI type bios, dont even have UEFI as an option

Thank you for your input

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
You need to disable the headless booting option in the BIOS. I recently experienced this same issue with an 8XSIA-F I acquired from eBay. There is also an ESX boot option which accomplishes the same function, but I used the BIOS route.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks CreoleLakerFan. I did just that and it worked.
Unfortunately I have a new problem now - the system reboots by itself after a few minutes. This is after I managed to install esxi 5.5. but I can hang around in the bios settings indefinately. Again, have no clue why this is happening.

Supermicro tells me the board is incompatible with esxi 5.5, and that the last verified esxi was version 4.0!

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I have ESX 5.5 Update 2 running - it installed with no issues right out of the box. Faulty memory, perhaps?

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I don't think its the ram because I tried other types, single, double and also filled all the slots. They all boot fine with no ram errors . Do you have the same 1366 type motherboard from SM?

Perhaps its my PSU? its a coolermaster G550M. 80plus bronze. Should I try changing the PSU? or should I suspect the MB or CPU (Xeon W3650)?

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I don't think its the ram because I tried other types, single, double and also filled all the slots. They all boot fine with no ram errors . Do you have the same 1366 type motherboard from SM?

Perhaps its my PSU? its a coolermaster G550M. 80plus bronze. Should I try changing the PSU? or should I suspect the MB or CPU (Xeon W3650)?

Changed the PSU to a Seasonic 650. Same problem: it just reboots on its own after a few minutes.

Any help appreciated

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Have you done a memtest sweep of the RAM? If there's a BMC and/or ECC RAM do you get any indication of memory errors?

I had intermittent crashes on one of my servers where I could stay around in the BIOS for as long as I wanted but load an OS and you'd be guaranteed a crash within 6hrs. Turned out that one of the RAM sticks wasn't properly seated (damned only-latched-on-one-side memory slots) - it was only out of the slot by about half a mil and very difficult to spot but this was enough to cause memory errors once memory was written to the last two chips on the DIMM. The BIOS never wrote to those locations but once the OS had loaded enough stuff into cache (it was a file server) we'd start getting the memory errors and then the motherboard would reboot itself.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
So I just had a similar hang at boot issue with my Supermicro board, it was at vmkernel loading modules but I think your situation is similar as it relates to ACPI settings. I'm also running an X8 generation board but dual Xeon, anyways, here's the setting that fixed for me:
  • Under ACPI configuration
    • Headless mode: Disabled
The default option is disabled but I changed it to enabled thinking since this is a headless server that would make sense, ESXi refuses to boot after that and I spent a good amount of time tracking it down to this setting.

Good luck!

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Thanka for all the replies. I am happy to say that I have solved the mystery. The culprit was the bios IPMI BMC watchdog setting which was somehow set to reset. Disabled it and that did it!