Supermicro H12SSL-i, H12SSL-C, H12SSL-NT, H12SSL-CT boards - notes, experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thracx

Mar 30, 2022
I think I already know the answer to this question, but does anyone know if what OP seemed to imply is true? It seems as though he's saying that I could, with a SlimSAS x8 (SFF-8654) to 2x MiniSAS (SFF-8087) cable, connect my H12SSL-NT motherboard directly to my BPN-SAS2-846EL1 SAS backplane? This seems unlikely to me as the motherboard manual specifically states that these ports, via a jumper, can only be used for either NVMe or 8 SATA ports with a breakout cable. It seems that you'd need a SAS controller which the NT variant doesn't have. Am I right in my assumption that I cannot use these SlimSAS ports to connect my SAS backplane, or is what OP seems to say right?
That is my understanding as well - it will not work for SAS drives but perhaps it would if you only used SATA drives?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I think I already know the answer to this question, but does anyone know if what OP seemed to imply is true? It seems as though he's saying that I could, with a SlimSAS x8 (SFF-8654) to 2x MiniSAS (SFF-8087) cable, connect my H12SSL-NT motherboard directly to my BPN-SAS2-846EL1 SAS backplane? This seems unlikely to me as the motherboard manual specifically states that these ports, via a jumper, can only be used for either NVMe or 8 SATA ports with a breakout cable. It seems that you'd need a SAS controller which the NT variant doesn't have. Am I right in my assumption that I cannot use these SlimSAS ports to connect my SAS backplane, or is what OP seems to say right?

I had the H12SSL-NT in a CSE-826 chassis with a BPN-SAS3-826-EL1-N4 backplane ( had = the motherboard suddenly just died). The SlimSAS is just a name, it either carries PCIe signals or SATA signals depending on BIOS. In my case the 2x SlimSAS were connected to the 2 NVMe connectors on the backplane and I used a HBA330 to connect to the SAS-P1 connector. That way you get both SAS/SATA and NVMe. The backplane cannot be connected to anything that does not provide SAS/NVMe

MasterControl

Jan 15, 2023
Hi all! Has anyone been able to see their power supply connected via smbus in the BMC web interface?

I have a Supermicro PWS-865-PQ power supply connected via smbus to h12ssl-c (screenshot attached).

The System > Component Info > PSU section of the web interface says "No data available" (screenshot attached). In the System > Component Info > Power section, there are just empty power consumption graphs, no data (screenshot attached).

The maximum that I could see about the power supply:
Code:
# ipmitool raw 0x06 0x52 0x07 0x70 0x01 0x0c
Please, those whose power supply is visible in the BMC, respond and indicate the model of the power supply.
dnb,

I am using power supply (PWS-1K25P-PQ) in a Supermicro SC743-TQ-1200B-SQ chassis. Connected to smbus and visible in the BMC. You may want to do a reset on the BMC. I've had to do that on a few different occasions.

System Specs:

Motherboard:
H12DSi-N6
RAM: 128GB of Hynix DDR4 3200 Registered ECC
CPU: 2x AMD Epyc Milan 7313
Graphics: Nvidia Quadro RTX A4000
Hard Drives: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink (1 & 2TB)
Add-on Card: Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2
Chassis: Supermicro SC743-TQ-1200B-SQ
Network Card: Supermicro AOC-STG-12T (Intel X540-AT2)
OS: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations / Windows Server 2022 Standard
VM's: Windows Server 2019 / Linux Mint

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: dnb

Obstringo

Apr 8, 2023
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, not sure where else to go.

I purchased a "New" condition Supermicro H11SSL-i and 7551P combo from an eBay seller from China.

I installed it in a Meshify C case, using a Corsair TX850m PSU with an extra EPS 4pin CPU cable to populate the JPW1 connection.

Powering on the machine, the BMC light blinks steadily and the power LED is a solid green, however, I get no signal to any of my monitors.

In addition, after about a minute, all the fans will start ramping up for a few seconds, then back down and they will repeat this behaviour ad nauseam until I manually cut the power.

Finally, as soon as I turn power on the PSU the machine will turn on without having to press the power button. The front panel connectors don't seem to do anything (Power/Reset switch). I've studied the front panel connector layout extensively in the manual so I'm sure I've plugged them in correctly.

I'm out of ideas, I've checked all screws for any over-tightening, I've ensured the onboard VGA pins are enabled, I've also used a working GT 710 with a HDMI - HDMI but still no output. I've also tried my 8 sticks of 32GB 2133 MHz RAM individually and in all slots but no dice.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I just out of luck and need to return, I really want to avoid this as it's going to be a massive hassle.

MasterControl

Jan 15, 2023
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, not sure where else to go.

I purchased a "New" condition Supermicro H11SSL-i and 7551P combo from an eBay seller from China.

I installed it in a Meshify C case, using a Corsair TX850m PSU with an extra EPS 4pin CPU cable to populate the JPW1 connection.

Powering on the machine, the BMC light blinks steadily and the power LED is a solid green, however, I get no signal to any of my monitors.

In addition, after about a minute, all the fans will start ramping up for a few seconds, then back down and they will repeat this behaviour ad nauseam until I manually cut the power.

Finally, as soon as I turn power on the PSU the machine will turn on without having to press the power button. The front panel connectors don't seem to do anything (Power/Reset switch). I've studied the front panel connector layout extensively in the manual so I'm sure I've plugged them in correctly.

I'm out of ideas, I've checked all screws for any over-tightening, I've ensured the onboard VGA pins are enabled, I've also used a working GT 710 with a HDMI - HDMI but still no output. I've also tried my 8 sticks of 32GB 2133 MHz RAM individually and in all slots but no dice.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I just out of luck and need to return, I really want to avoid this as it's going to be a massive hassle.
Obstringo,

Some of things you could try:

1. Re-seat CPU using proper AMD Threadripper torque screwdriver: Threadripper T20 Torque Screwdriver
2. Check your RAM type to the Supermicro QVL list found here: Supermicro H11SSL-i (Links & Resources -> Tested Memory List)
3. For 7001 Epyc series, 2666 Registered ECC is the only speed that is supported. Best to choose RAM from QVL list.
4. Do you have the 8 pin CPU connector plugged into JPWR1?
5. Try taking motherboard out of case to rule out possible short.

Last edited:

Obstringo

Apr 8, 2023
Obstringo,

Some of things you could try:

1. Re-seat CPU using proper AMD Threadripper torque screwdriver: Threadripper T20 Torque Screwdriver
2. Check your RAM type to the Supermicro QVL list found here: Supermicro H11SSL-i (Links & Resources -> Tested Memory List)
3. For 7001 Epyc series, 2666 Registered ECC is the only speed that is supported. Best to choose RAM from QVL list.
4. Do you have the 8 pin CPU connector plugged into JPWR1?
5. Try taking motherboard out of case to rule out possible short.
  1. I've tried reseating the CPU, albeit using a T20 torque bit with a screwdriver not the official linked one. ($40 for some flimsy plastic wtf??)
  2. Unfortunately my RAM is "unofficial" Samsung 32GB 2133 MHz RAM, although from my research it should have worked but capped at 2133 MHz speeds, which I'm fine with.
  3. See above. Was your Italic text meant to be hyperlinked? The only QVL RAM I can find is the MEM-DR432LC-ER26.
  4. My 8 pin is also connected.
  5. I've done the above with it outside the case now and no luck.

I guess it's time for a return, sucks but what can you do, I can't even IPMI into it without the IP address visible in the BIOS from what I can see

Obstringo

Apr 8, 2023
Just a quick update from my comment above, I've managed to get the IP address by connecting a LAN cable from the IPMI Lan port on the motherboard to my Router, on the page in my browser where I have to log in using the Username and Password but now I have a different issue...

I can't tell if I'm being special but I'm pretty sure the password for my mobo is: B W V W D O I U C N (spaces added for legibility)

When I enter the username and password as printed on the mobo I get an invalid user/password error.

I'm 99.9% sure the password is BWVWDOIUCN. Is anyone seeing that or something else in the picture I've attached?IMG_0489.jpg

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Just a quick update from my comment above, I've managed to get the IP address by connecting a LAN cable from the IPMI Lan port on the motherboard to my Router, on the page in my browser where I have to log in using the Username and Password but now I have a different issue...

I can't tell if I'm being special but I'm pretty sure the password for my mobo is: B W V W D O I U C N (spaces added for legibility)

When I enter the username and password as printed on the mobo I get an invalid user/password error.

I'm 99.9% sure the password is BWVWDOIUCN. Is anyone seeing that or something else in the picture I've attached?View attachment 28305
When the password generator trolls you...

MasterControl

Jan 15, 2023
  1. I've tried reseating the CPU, albeit using a T20 torque bit with a screwdriver not the official linked one. ($40 for some flimsy plastic wtf??)
  2. Unfortunately my RAM is "unofficial" Samsung 32GB 2133 MHz RAM, although from my research it should have worked but capped at 2133 MHz speeds, which I'm fine with.
  3. See above. Was your Italic text meant to be hyperlinked? The only QVL RAM I can find is the MEM-DR432LC-ER26.
  4. My 8 pin is also connected.
  5. I've done the above with it outside the case now and no luck.

I guess it's time for a return, sucks but what can you do, I can't even IPMI into it without the IP address visible in the BIOS from what I can see
As per the manual "Important: Use a torque screwdriver, set it at 16.1
kgf-cm (14.0 lbf-in) with a Torx T20 screw head bit, to prevent damage to the CPU"

The T20 screwdriver that I linked is set to 14.0 lbf-in and will click when it hits the correct torque.

As for the RAM, especially Supermicro, I always check the QVL list. If the RAM is "unofficial", then how can you guarantee it will work (not saying it won't).

Karpo

Mar 4, 2023
Hi, I got H12SSL motherboard with 7301 this week. All worked ok, I also have Samsung 2133MHz ECC REG memory but 7301 is Zen2.
BMC password from sticker and login 'ADMIN' worked fine, your guess looks correct to me. I connected cases cables to power switch and reset pins JF1 block and they worked like expected, system does not start without pushing power button.

d33p

Apr 21, 2023
Does anyone know if the CBL-SAST-0953 U.2 cable support PCIe 4?
I have a H12SSL-I and two Samsung PM9A3 U.2 NVMes but I'm unsure if this cable supports running the SSDs at gen4

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Does anyone know if the CBL-SAST-0953 U.2 cable support PCIe 4?
The cables are passive and should support all pcie speeds, if it doesn't work with the mainboards connectors I would try them with a pcie 4.0 redriver card

d33p

Apr 21, 2023
I'm asking because I often read that PCIe gen4 only works on specific cables so I was worried it might not support it

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
mb: H12SSL-i
drives: 24x NVMe
use case: fast storage for vm's

open ended question: what is the recommended sweet spot/$$ 7xxx CPU?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019

On FleaBay - all the US based listings for 7302, 7402 and 7502 CPUs go for $300 ~ $700 depending on the day of the week and seller. For example the 7502 is available for $599 here: AMD 100-000000054 EPYC 32 Core 2.5GHZ 7502 Proc | eBay

Just make sure that you DO NOT get one with a vendor lock. Dell locked CPUs will NOT work in the H12SSL

The question you should be asking is - how is the storage going to be exported? NFS? iSCSI ? Or will this host both the VMs and the storage ?

mmo

Sep 17, 2016

i would love to see your final configuration on this beast :)