Looking for a short-depth storage chassis... suggestions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
I've grown beyond my current cases for the number of drives they hold, so I'd like to look at getting a rackmount disk chassis that I can connect via SFF-8088 to my server. Not looking to spend a ton of money, as I don't need an exceptional amount of performance. Mostly looking for convenience in handling more drives.

What I'm looking for is a 3/4U chassis that is no more than 20" deep, can hold 16+ hotswappable drives, and can connect to my ZFS file server. Best I've found so far is a ~$200, 3U, 16 drive chassis on ebay. The limiting factor on the chassis is the 3Gbps connector (SFF-8088). I've read that the fans are loud, but can be replaced.

From looking around the web, I can find better chassis, but none that aren't at least a couple hundred dollars more expensive and are over 20" in length. Curious if anyone here has something better in mind.

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
That's the same ebay auction I was looking at. Is there anything I need to be aware of on that case, or is it essentially plug & play as-is? Add in drives, connect to SFF-8088 port on my server, and power it on?

Reactions: bds1904

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
Plug n play really. Are you going to be building a new array or moving drives with data into the se3016? What controller are you going to be using?

Only thing that can be slightly confusing is that the trays take 3 screws, not 4. If you install the drive incorrectly in the caddy you will be able to seat it in the chassis but it won't show up.

My LSI sas3801e works great with it. Dirt cheap sas hba. Like $30 cheap.

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
Right now I'd plan to migrate a 8x4TB RAIDz2 that I have on an IBM1015 controller. Was imagining that I'd get a SFF-8087 internal to SFF-8088 external bracket and connect that to the expander.

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
It looks like that LSI adapter you list would be cheaper than a 8087-8088 bracket!

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
If you already have a 1015 then i would get the bracket, unless you are really hurting for the expansion slot.

Just dont forget to export the array first. When you put it in the enclosure it will change the drive names. The order in the se3016 is left to right top to bottom.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
Does anyone know how deep(long) the Se3016 chassis is?
I'll check the dimensions of mine tonight. Is the facade of your enclosure open - for the SFF connector, aka do I need to measure the clearance that would probably be required?

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
I'll check the dimensions of mine tonight. Is the facade of your enclosure open - for the SFF connector, aka do I need to measure the clearance that would probably be required?
15.5" deep, but you would need another ~5" or so in the front for the SFF-8088 cable for a gentle bend. Maybe a inch or two less if you put some pressure on the connector.

pinkanese

Jun 19, 2014
15.5" deep, but you would need another ~5" or so in the front for the SFF-8088 cable for a gentle bend. Maybe a inch or two less if you put some pressure on the connector.
Thank you very much. I realize have depth generally means 15-16" but I wanted to check. I just finished building a rack and wanted to be sure this would fit.

That is good to know on the clearance. I will have to come up with some way of accommodating the cable. Does a right angle 8088 cable exist?

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
How does this chassis compare in loudness to the Dell MD1000? The MD is relatively short (18.9 in), but I hear it is loud. Can the fans be replaced?

I am trying to decide what to connect the 9200-8e card I intend to buy to... the Rackable chassis in this thread, the MD1000, or a J23 (obviously that one is not short).

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
i have the some rackable cases and some MD1000 cases, the MD1000 can not be upgraded, the rackable can have a new sas expander modded into it to make it SAS2 instead of SAS1, the dell fans are part of the power supplies, they ramp down normally unless there is a failure of some sort, they also do not require you to run the interposers as you mentioned in another thread, the rackables have two 80mm fans, if you wanted to change them or modify the case to take larger fans you could quite easily.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
Great info, thanks! I had thought I read in some other thread about a user that could not get any new 4tb sata drives to work in the MD until he installed the interposers. If they are not actually required that is a plus. I was trying to decide whether to buy all new SAS 4tb WD drives for around $250 each or continue to use my WD RED (not Red PRO) 4tb drives in whichever of these enclosures I pick. For a home media and photo storage server in either of these chassis, is the choice between those drives likely to make a reliability difference? I doubt the performance of either will ever be lacking for what I need. It will mainly be playing back a movie rip over the network. Likely just one at a time, two at the most.

Curious that the SAS port is on the front.. ugly compared to the MD.

Which would you choose, Deci, for home use? I have a dedicated rack (a middle atlantic slim 5 20" depth... so an AV rack not a datacenter rack), and it is in a hallway so not near any TVs to disturb, but it is in a place where I walk by many times a day, so the quieter the better. The unit could also sit back in the closet that the rack sits in, so that would muffle it a good bit if I did that.

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
These are all sas1 and from memory won't support drives over 2tb anyway. I have only ever had up to 2tb drives in them.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
I thought an MD1000 connected to a 9200-8e would support whatever drives the LSI card supported. I see companies selling MD1000 units filled with 4tb drives....