Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

legit

Dec 24, 2021
Tried printing this mSATA to SATA adapter enclosure for PC Engines APU/APU2 by crox on my Prusa and the measurements were subtly off (even with attempting some mild % increases in x-axis). Recreated the thing in tinkercad and am printing another one around. Not exactly sure how I could more securely mount it but once I get the holding portion squared away, I could probably leverage some sort of screwhole mount. Since the computer sits vertically in my setup I kinda need it to not flail around the case.

Attachments

Reactions: BrianAz

NurseWizzle

Apr 1, 2023
I'm having a hell of a time here. I have an m920 with a NC364T NIC and the 01AJ940 riser. I can't get it to fit, it almost does, but it seems a bit too long. Does anyone else have something like this working?

986box

Oct 14, 2017
did you tuck in the other end under the chassis bracket? I had fitment issue initially not tucking it in.

badger707

Feb 27, 2023
Continuing with M920q hardware mod series... Now looking for a way to have PCIe x8 bifurcated to x4x4.

Progress so far - located and soldered 2 strapping resistors on CPU to "provide" x4x4 configuration, however I feel I'll need to look at BIOS to support that too. I'm just not too confident at digging into BIOS rabbit hole - anyone here with bios mod skills?

I've seen @mobilenvidia have done impressive work on M700/900 series BIOS mod, would be good to hear his feedback on PCIe bifurcation rabbit hole.

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
@Parallax - can we also include P320/M910x to the main list based on STH review here?

Specifications: https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sy...ion_P320_Tiny/ThinkStation_P320_Tiny_Spec.PDF
Datasheet: https://www.lenovo.com/medias/Lenovo-ThinkStation-P320-Tiny-Datasheet.pdf

Nice little boxes, Kaby Lake 7x00T CPU, comes with PCIe slot and dual M.2 NVMe SSD slots, Q270 chipset, Intel i219LM NIC.
I guess so; there's not been much information specific to them so far though, so there may not be much value beyond an entry in the tables.

I wonder what the limit is on a post's length in STH?

986box

Oct 14, 2017
Since m75q gen2 do not have a PCIe slot, is it possible to add a 10 Gbps rj45 port?

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
Since m75q gen2 do not have a PCIe slot, is it possible to add a 10 Gbps rj45 port?
I'm not aware of a sensible way to do so. I've used the wireless m.2 slot on mine to add a 2.5GbE port, but I can't see an easy way to do more since there doesn't seem to be a Thunderbolt option for it. You could of course put a 10GbE m.2 card in the NVMe drive slot, leave the chassis base off, and connect the port off that - but that seems pretty messy to me.

maxg

Jun 4, 2022
Continuing with M920q hardware mod series... Now looking for a way to have PCIe x8 bifurcated to x4x4.
Progress so far - located and soldered 2 strapping resistors on CPU to "provide" x4x4 configuration, however I feel I'll need to look at BIOS to support that too. I'm just not too confident at digging into BIOS rabbit hole - anyone here with bios mod skills?
That sounds like a lot of effort when cards with a built in PCIe switch to split the x8 into x4+x4 are available for under £50 (search for ASM1812 on Aliexpress) - assuming what you want is to run 2 extra M.2 NVMe. I've been running that 4xM.2+SATA SSD setup with Truenas without any issue.

If you are trying to bifurcate to run different controllers (e.g. 10 GBps NIC + NVMe) space will be your problem. In that case I recommend the QNAP cards such as the QM2-2P10G1TB or the QM2-2P410G2T. Normally these are quite expensive (£200+) but you can sometimes find them on clearance or second hand and they should work as well as the QM2-2P-384.

986box

Oct 14, 2017
I'm not aware of a sensible way to do so. I've used the wireless m.2 slot on mine to add a 2.5GbE port, but I can't see an easy way to do more since there doesn't seem to be a Thunderbolt option for it. You could of course put a 10GbE m.2 card in the NVMe drive slot, leave the chassis base off, and connect the port off that - but that seems pretty messy to me.
Wow! M2 solution is not cheap at over $200. AMD ryzen 5650GE is a much performant cpu in m75q chassis. I found a few at decent pricing.

this looks promising. But it needs 4 pin power supply.

M.2 NGFF NVMe Key M to PCIe 3.0 X4 Extension Cable

Last edited:

legit

Dec 24, 2021
If you are trying to bifurcate to run different controllers (e.g. 10 GBps NIC + NVMe) space will be your problem. In that case I recommend the QNAP cards such as the QM2-2P10G1TB or the QM2-2P410G2T. Normally these are quite expensive (£200+) but you can sometimes find them on clearance or second hand and they should work as well as the QM2-2P-384.
Wow had no idea these existed. I mentioned a Synology version but it was noted that it was too big. Are you using one of these cards? The QM2-2P410G2T looks too long but the QM2-2P10G1TB looks like it might barely fit.

Note that QM2-2P10G1TB appears to be PCI-E gen2 and according to reviews tops at 3gbps.

Last edited:

maxg

Jun 4, 2022
Note that QM2-2P10G1TB appears to be PCI-E gen2 and according to reviews tops at 3gbps.
That's the 2P10G1TA, which has a review on STH. The 2P10G1TB is fully gen3 (you can check the QNAP website for the specs). I haven't tried it myself but it should fit just barely. Considering the QM2-2P-384 does work and uses the same switch I am fairly certain the 2P10G1TA will work as well.

ddaenen1

Jul 7, 2020
Doesn't explain the lack of booting, but PfSense probably will not like the Realtek NIC in your Tiny either. OpnSense should work out of the box, you could at least give that a try and see if it will boot, then you have a good foundation to go back and look at pfSense. Plus you might like OpnSense better and come over to the light side. ;)

One other thing, obvious but may as well ask - did you turn off Secure Boot?
I haven't had time to dig into it yet. First thing i am going to do is to remove the riser and the i350-T4 and see if it boots. Another thing i am planning to do is install OPNsense just to see if that boots. Not planning to switch over in any case as tried both already and like pfSense better. Also, the whole idea is to create a backup router to temporarily replace my main router for maintenance. As I am still under the impression that this is related to the boot settings of the Tiny or the ZFS installation, i am also going to attempt a traditional UFS installation.

Yes, i do have secure boot switch off and legacy boot on.

badger707

Feb 27, 2023
That sounds like a lot of effort when cards with a built in PCIe switch to split the x8 into x4+x4 are available for under £50 (search for ASM1812 on Aliexpress) - assuming what you want is to run 2 extra M.2 NVMe. I've been running that 4xM.2+SATA SSD setup with Truenas without any issue.

Good call. Yeah, agree, getting one of these ASM1812 cards would be much easier, no doubts.
I'll play around with 920q BIOS anyway, just to see how deep is this rabbit hole and if I can find anything worth time/attention, but not putting too much of hopes there.
QNAP cards - whoa, very interesting and also quite expensive :)

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
Yes, i do have secure boot switch off and legacy boot on.
A recent BIOS update removed the ability to run legacy mode off nvme drives. I know this because I bricked nearly 10 installs at remote clients pushing out a BIOS update only to find this out when the machines didnt come back online. Yeah that was a bad day...

Pfsense boots fine in UEFI mode only provided you turn off Secure Boot. I've got several M720q units running pfsense in this configuration. Hope that helps.

Reactions: ddaenen1

ddaenen1

Jul 7, 2020
I will have a go at it tomorrow. I will change the boot options as per your recommendations and perform yet another fresh pfsense install.

ddaenen1

Jul 7, 2020
Pfsense boots fine in UEFI mode only provided you turn off Secure Boot. I've got several M720q units running pfsense in this configuration. Hope that helps.
Well, your tip was golden. Switch on UEFI, secure boot off and did a new UFS UEFI-mode install with GPT and it booted straight away. All working well, i350 fully recognized and working as it should. I only did an original config using the wizard. Speeds are as expected around 900mbps down and 40mbps up. Now the next step is to upgrade the installation from 2.6.0 CE to plus 23.01 and after that, try to load the config of my main pfsense router onto this installation so it is a full plug-n-pray duplicate. To be continued...

ddaenen1

Jul 7, 2020
So pfSense flawlessly upgraded to plus 23.01 and booted once again perfect. I am almost there. Just need to load the config of my main router but for that, i need it to be connected directly to the modem, otherwise i will create a conflict with my existing router LAN IP's. May take some time to get that done.

Reactions: Parallax

oOHiggsOo

Mar 7, 2023
Hello, does anyone know what the difference between M80q Gen3 and M90q Gen3 is? The only thing I noticed is that the M80q only has T CPU models and when configuring the M80q I can select Realtek RTL8125BGS 2.5 Gbit/s Ethernet. I would like to exchange my Proxmox server, which consumes 38 watts in IDLE, for one of the two, it is important to me that I can install a 10gib SFP+ PCIe card, 2 SSDs and an HDD.