X10QBI and v3/v4 cpus (e.g. supermicro sys-4048b-trft)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

farid

Mar 20, 2020
I see in pictures of listings on eBay, that passive narrow ILM heatsink is typically installed. Will the active version of the narrow ILM heatsink work on this motherboard? Anyone knows?

nickblack

Mar 7, 2023
I see in pictures of listings on eBay, that passive narrow ILM heatsink is typically installed. Will the active version of the narrow ILM heatsink work on this motherboard? Anyone knows?
i know that a Noctua NH-D9DX i4 will *not* fit.

nickblack

Mar 7, 2023
by the way, are there any more wired sources of power in this machine? i'm looking for an 8-pin to hook up a GPU, and not seeing one above the motherboard...

SnowDigger

Dec 19, 2020
USA
My X10QBI does not recognize my RTX 4090 GPU. Tried different cables, adapters, external power, cleared cmos, tried fresh installs of Linux Ubuntu , Windows Server 2022, and Windows 10 for Workstations. Uninstalled driver with DDU in safe mode and reinstalled latest Nvidia drivers. The card works fine in my Supermicro X9DRD-LF. The card does not show in device manager in my X10QBI at all, Any ideas?

[SOLVED] I opened it up and found that the card had very little TIM on the chip and was overheating. With the long bootup on the QBI vs my other machine the card shut down as it supposed to do. After "repasting" all is well now and the card posts just fine.\ Unbelievable, brand new card, this shouldn't happen. I am happy now, though.

Last edited:

nickblack

Mar 7, 2023
through the power of flexible pcie extenders, i've now got seven memory cards in there while using all pcie slots. it might be possible to do all eight.
PXL_20230408_160037727.jpg

Reactions: unwind-protect

nickblack

Mar 7, 2023
so i've got a complete set of eight of the MEM2 DDR4 boards. i intend on continuing to use MEM1 DDR3 boards myself (i've got 3TB of DDR3 and 0TB of DDR4). they're difficult to find in my experience; if anyone would like to pick them up, shoot me a message here or dankamongmen@gmail.com.

nviets

May 23, 2023
I started building building a 4048B-TR4FT and would like to keep the noise down. Could anyone confirm if the PWS-1K28P-SQ PSUs are compatible with this machine? @nickblack - from your great write up, it would appear so, yes? I haven't committed to water cooling yet, but the PSUs seem like the place to start.

nickblack

Mar 7, 2023
can confirm the -SQs work just fine (so long as you don't need the full 1620W outputs that are being replaced), and quietly.

nviets

May 23, 2023
Thanks @nickblack! Aren't the PSUs additive as well as redundant? I was planning to replace all of the 1620W, which would give me 4x1280W.

nickblack

Mar 7, 2023
Thanks @nickblack! Aren't the PSUs additive as well as redundant? I was planning to replace all of the 1620W, which would give me 4x1280W.
unfortunately, i do not have the knowledge to answer this with any authority. i only draw about 800W max on either of my TR4FTs. with the low draws on the processors (even the E7-8890v3s i've put in top out at 160W per, iirc), i don't see how you'd get up above a kilowatt unless you threw some GPUs in there. for some info on power draws of large numbers of consumer (Seagate Exos) drives, you might like this writeup, in particular the section "Power draws".

btw, if you're interested in 1TB of DDR3 (32x32GB) suitable for your new machine, or wish to step up to DDR4 with eight of the MEM2 cards, hit me up. i've got both, priced to move.

Reactions: nviets

nviets

May 23, 2023
Well, the fist boot was exciting - a loud persistent beep with a bunch of codes. Does anyone know where I can find the error code sheet for LED_PORT80? From the manual, I understand a loud beep is an overheat warning, but I found that odd since it begins the second I turn on the machine. LED_PORT80 cycles roughly through following after I turn it on:

FF >> 06 >> 15 (30 seconds) >> 60 >> FF >> 15 >> 19 >> 60 >> 02 >> 58 >> AO >> 46 >> SA...

There were some other codes that cycled through for a split second, but I couldn't catch them.