[SOLVED] RTX2070 not detected on Supermicro X9SRL-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
There is InfoROM missmatch
you know what ROM means ? some NAND flash chips have OTP area for serial number or similar.
and the GPU provides some NV bytes to store data with a checksum generated every time data is changed.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
But there's also that in the log "ERROR: Size difference between file(0xD7400) and adapter ROM space (0xD7A00)"
and "User Setting ....................................... Mismatch" now i'm not sure whats written there (does nv save oc's in bios in case they want to refuse rma?)

can you try the linked bios on a kvm (*you can try it without flashing the card)

here's example how-to (it should contain both the core, and audio device - you can ignore usb-c and such... worth noting the bus has to be same on the kvm side with multifunction on, and 0x1 function on audio to match source)
Code:
<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0a' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <rom file='/mnt/zfs/isos/BIOS ROM/RadeonViiPro.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x0a' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0a' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x0a' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>

if it works, i would try flashing it - and retrying on your x9 board.

Last edited:

svani

Nov 9, 2021
can you try the linked bios on a kvm (*you can try it without flashing the card)
I actually used the corresponding vBIOS from TPU with kvm when I tested the card earlier. It worked and I got rid of Error 53 or what ever it was.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
If so, try few other bioses (different versions, specifically older ones)
then i recommend flashing it - and trying.

svani

Nov 9, 2021
As a desperate move I flashed older Armor vBios and even tried Ventus and KFA2 vBIOSes. This didn't solve the issue.

I was really close to give up but I finally found a solution. And yes. It was one BIOS setting.
Chipset-NorthBridge-Integrated_IO_Configuration.PNG
Under Advanced - Chipset - North Bridge - Integrated IO Configuration I changed
IIO 1 IOU2 - PCIe Port to x8x4x4 setting (default x8x8).

This added Port 2B Link Speed opition.
- I have no idea what this is. No reference in (old) manual since bifurcation control came available on BIOS ver 3.3
- Quick google search didn't give an answer

I had tried earlier x16 option but I didn't play with these settings any further since RTX3090 was plug-and-play with default bifurcation settings.

Just on more weird thing. Earlier 3090 was picked up on early boot and I could access BIOS with attached monitor, IPMI VGA froze. 2070 plays differently, monitor turns on when Windows login screen is shown and it's secondary screen. IPMI VGA stayed as primary output despite VGA priority setting on BIOS. Same with cold and warm boot. So it seems that there is something different between these cards.

I put my proxmox install back in and card is finally there:
Code:
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU106 [GeForce RTX 2070] (rev a1)
03:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation TU106 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
03:00.2 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU106 USB 3.1 Host Controller (rev a1)
03:00.3 Serial bus controller [0c80]: NVIDIA Corporation TU106 USB Type-C UCSI Controller (rev a1)
Thank you all for your help!

Reactions: CyklonDX

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
This added Port 2B Link Speed opition.
- I have no idea what this is.
if i am right you bifurcated Slot 6 to x4x4
you have added one more PCIe port. x8x8 are two ports. x8x4x4 are three. now you can adjust Link Speed of each.
x9SRL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: svani

svani

Nov 9, 2021
Yeah, that seems to be it. Card is running @x4.
unigine_gpu_z.PNG

I find supermicro bifurcation settings a bit confusing but after all there is some logic when you get it. Tested with x4x4x8 setting (8x for slot6) and the card was not recognized. I don't know why bifurcation must be used with this card. x16 setting doesn't work either as mentioned before.

Anyway I got it working. I didn't test what kind of performance hit I'm taking, but it doesn't really matter since the card is mainly for nvenc use with some random testing with vgpu unlock. I moved gpu to slot4 and had to put it to x4 as well. After that I installed NIC ja HBA and they seem to be working.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I find supermicro bifurcation settings a bit confusing but after all there is some logic when you get it.
it is AMI BIOS style. all systems look this way.
3 16 lane ports IOU1,IOU2,IOU3
IOU1
1A: 4 lanes
1B: 4 lanes
1C: 4 lanes
1D: 4 lanes

Reactions: svani