Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sealside

May 10, 2019
Stockholm/Sweden
I was using yours!
I was just asking out of curiosity if there were any features available in the python api that are not available in openhab. I could add those. The openhab add-on has no support for ZD, but other than that I don't see any features missing that are useable from a home automation perspective.

Best regards s

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
I've been running an R610 as a Dedicated Master for the past day on Unleashed 200.13.

Performance is good: I get 670Mbps through a tunneled WLAN, 210Mbps with tunnel encryption turned on.
As a bonus, the code which disables WiFi doesn't work, so the Dedicated Master is also available as an AP (but perf suffers if you try to enable tunneling on this AP - I guess it doesn't like traffic hairpinning back to itself). :)

Only bug I can see so far is that the power LED stops working (but the other LEDs are fine) when you spoof the model name to "R750" to get this working.

Last edited:
Reactions: custom90gt

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
I've been running an R610 as a Dedicated Master for the past day on Unleashed 200.13.
Are you talking about dedicated master or are you talking about the function Disable WLAN service on Master AP in combination with Preferred Master?

To be honest, I cannot explain the difference. But in unleashed settings under the point "dedicated master" is written:

The Dedicated Master mode can be enabled only on AP models R750/R850. The radio function of Dedicated Master AP will be disabled and Wi-Fi service cannot be provided. Please refer to Online Help for details.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
I'm talking dedicated master, not preferred master.

There is no real reason to limit this to R750/R850 or disable radios. I assume the limitations are so they can match the performance of the ZoneDirector.

So once Unleashed 200.13 was installed on the R610, I just popped into a root shell and ran "bsp set model R750" then "bsp commit". The model name isn't used for much in Unleashed, apart from enabling/disabling this feature.

Dedicated master gets you L3 support and tunneling (so you can use APs as a cheap VPN alternative).

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
There is no real reason to limit this to R750/R850 or disable radios. I assume the limitations are so they can match the performance of the ZoneDirector.
Thank you very much.
These kind of information are the reason me beeing here in this forum.

As a bonus, the code which disables WiFi doesn't work, so the Dedicated Master is also available as an AP (but perf suffers if you try to enable tunneling on this AP - I guess it doesn't like traffic hairpinning back to itself). :)
This sentence is confusing me. So far my understanding was, that in mode "Dedicated Master" the AP's WiFi radios are switched of and it is working like a Zone Director. Looks like this was a wrong understanding and the AP can do both: provide WiFi radio and act as controller. Correct?

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Officially, the radios must be turned off for Dedicated Master. This might be for performance, but also might be because things like hairpinning weren't able to be tested in time for the 200.13 release. I have zero contacts at Ruckus so I have no idea.

Since Ruckus never intend an R610 to be running Dedicated Master, the code to do the radio disabling isn't working and Ruckus won't care. Actually, the 5GHz radio turns back on after every reboot, even if it's disabled. Buggy.

Reactions: tubs-ffm

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
What is the advantage of having a dedicated master, as compared to a preferred master? Would it contribute to the stability of the network in any way?

Last edited:

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Not much.

Basically L3 and tunneling. So if you're finding the single-subnet restriction for all APs is a problem then there's that. Or if you want to drop APs at friends/family and have them managed from your home, with selected SSIDs tunneling traffic via your network (for e.g media players) then there's that.

The controller failover is faster, but you've got to dedicate 2 APs to being masters, so definitely not something I'd do at home.

(I only converted the R610 because I needed a dedicated master for testing when I get complaints about my guides, and I was sick of wasting expensive APs on this)

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
RUCKUS Unleashed 200.14 Release Notes

New Features
• GUI support to configure the following parameters OFDM-Only, BSS-Minrate, and Mgmt Tx Rate.
• Multi-language support for Guest WLAN portal
• Supports more number of WLANs and AP groups for Dedicated Master
• ICX Rodan switch management
• Built-in memory diagnostic tool
• Debug info report (CPU, Memory) for UMM
• WLAN enhancement support
• UI multiple language translation enhancement
• WLAN smart-roam support

Resolved Issues in Build 200.14.6.1.179
• Guest users redirect to administrator login on tagged VLAN (Unleashed 200.13/200.12). [ER-12001]
• Client cannot access the internet after authorization (Unleashed R550). [ER-12111]
• Unable to create an Layer 3 ACL with a multicast address as destination. [ER-12091]
• All access points rebooting frequently due to kernel panic (Unleashed 200.13). [ER-12312]

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I see it on the ruckus website for download, but it's not showing up in the unleashed web UI, which is totally backwards from the usual releases lol

1681784764512.png

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I had to click the Check for Update button twice, but it finally showed up on my R610's and R350's.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
So far so good, this update seems a little faster on wifi speed tests with the R610.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I’m out of the Ruckus game for a little while - tried to get 2-3 R750’s but no way was I paying $900 for second hand units. Prices are coming down though - both as the supply chain improves and as the downturn hits companies. In the meantime I need to contend with Ubiquiti’s SDN shenanigans ☹

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
New Features
• GUI support to configure the following parameters OFDM-Only, BSS-Minrate, and Mgmt Tx Rate.
These settings have been read & written by the Unleashed web client for many releases (maybe always), but they were hidden.
Not sure why they finally get surfaced for 200.14.

New Features
• WLAN enhancement support
Does anyone know what this is?

...and actually, while I'm asking if anyone knows about an announced Unleashed feature... does anyone have any information about this feature added in 200.10?
  • Open VPN Support - In this release, Unleashed system will provide CLI commands to bring up the openVPN daemon, maintain the openVPN tunnel, and debug the openVPN status and statistics.