Poolsman - ZFS Web GUI for Linux based on Cockpit

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cojones

Jan 7, 2023
just checking in as I haven't seen any updates on the site, any news on a new release?

PoolsmanTeam

Sep 12, 2022
poolsman.com
just checking in as I haven't seen any updates on the site, any news on a new release?
We've released interim 0.3.5.0 version some time ago, that is available for download. It hasn't been publicly announced because included various small improvements and bug fixes, and has been addressed to users, who faced these issues (support of vdev_id.conf file, display DRAID pools in UI, better support for NVMe S.M.A.R.T., support for pools with listsnapshots=on property, etc). We are still working on new Preview 4 (0.4.0.0) release with the new set of features and currently expect it on March 6.

Reactions: gb00s

PoolsmanTeam

Sep 12, 2022
poolsman.com
We are pleased to announce the 4th Poolsman preview release with significantly improved Pool Creation Wizard:
  1. Now you can add any number of disk groups (VDEVs, virtual devices) during pool creation. All types of disk groups (except very specific brand-new draid) are supported, including mirror, raidz, spare, log, dedup, special and cache.
  2. Ability to set specific pool options during pool creation with the possibility of furter editing. They include Sector Size, AutoTrim, AutoReplace and AutoExpand options (AutoReplace is available in read-only mode for now due to high risk of data loss in case of incorrect usage).
  3. Improved Pool Review page in Pool Creation Wizard, which includes high-level information about the new pool with the ability to preview the Shell Command, that will be executed.
  4. Added support for viewing topology of existing DRAID pools in read-only mode.
  5. New Pool Maintenace page, that currently includes pool export and destroy options (scrub, trim, upgrade pool options are on the road).
  6. Better S.M.A.R.T. support (based on users experience).
  7. Various small improvements and bug fixes (support for pools, that were configured manually with using of vdev_id.conf file, have listsnapshots option enabled, etc.)

Attachments

PoolsmanTeam

Sep 12, 2022
poolsman.com
Regarding SMART and disks, how do you currently determine that a disk is healthy? Are you perhaps monitoring these? What SMART Hard Disk Errors Actually Tell Us
We use smartmontools to get the SMART data (the same package as in the article you mentioned). Poolsman mostly displays the data that it gets from this tool (the overall health state is also provided by this). Additionally we perform some minor transformations to make the data more friendly (e.g. calculate host reads/writes in bytes). You also can manually check any of the SMART attributes (including attributes from the article), provided by your drive and supported by smartmontools package.
Additionally, if you enable logging, you should be able to review shell commands, that Poolsman executes to get the SMART data (and any other data). You can see how it looks on the screenshot.

Attachments

cojones

Jan 7, 2023
Thank you. The reason I'm asking is because those specific SMART params seem to signal an impending drive failure without necessarily triggering SMART overall health alarms - backblaze have a massive statistic body of evidence on it. I think there's an opportunity here for SMART(er) drive health monitoring beyond simply echoing SMART values back to the user. Quoting the article:

1678700306639.png

PoolsmanTeam

Sep 12, 2022
poolsman.com
Thank you. The reason I'm asking is because those specific SMART params seem to signal an impending drive failure without necessarily triggering SMART overall health alarms - backblaze have a massive statistic body of evidence on it. I think there's an opportunity here for SMART(er) drive health monitoring beyond simply echoing SMART values back to the user. Quoting the article:

View attachment 27864
Thanks. It definitely makes sense to monitor these particular SMART attributes in parallel (and/or highlight them when they RAW values are greater than zero). We've added a research task for that into our backlog. Probably we will add some kind of such monitoring in one of our next releases (at least simple highlighting of these attributes should be easy to implement).

PoolsmanTeam

Sep 12, 2022
poolsman.com
Hi guys, just want to inform that we are still working on Preview 5 release and it's expected in the first half of June. It will bring the disks replacement features, Scrub and Trim support, and something more. There are some critical things that need to be properly tested. We will keep you informed and will send the release announcement to all our subscribers, as well as post it there.

ipkpjersi

Sep 14, 2018
This looks promising, I like the idea that it's just an app and not an entire OS that you'd need to install. I'm used to managing my ZFS pools through command-line but a GUI could be pretty nice.

Propaganda

Dec 6, 2017
Anyone else feel like asking a yearly fee for something like this is clownshoes? Maybe I am just spoiled by all the other free software we get in the world. I could see a 1 time fee as possible if it was a really nice tool, but yearly for a homegamer seems like a tough sell.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
From my point of view, the problem isn't the subscription model. Rather it's the limited functionality. Creating pools, managing vdevs, creating datasets? Where's the value? That stuff is pretty easy and I'm not sure this GUI would be meaningfully faster.

I understand that this is baseline functionality it'd be weird not to have, but it doesn't seem to reach the level of minimum viable product. The snapshot management functionality is closer to being genuinely useful, but I don't see any indications that this attempts to solve the serious management difficulties (e.g. identifying clones, where they're cloned from, etc.) or integrate with other bits of the ecosystem that provide essential functionality (e.g. zrepl).

beren

Oct 25, 2018
I mean, are they going to try to compete against trunas? I don't quite understand the target market. I would love something like this to put on a small _old_ box with a few drives to give to my parents as a nas. This seems perfect, but it's not something they would ever spend money on, they would just have me do what was needed to fix things. It would just be nice to have a simple status page with minimal admin options they could look at.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
There's an argument to be made in favor of something that's less integrated than TrueNAS, for admins who want finer control and more flexibility... But the same admins would want advanced features, not a shiny GUI to create datasets.

cojones

Jan 7, 2023
In my case TrueNAS is too opinionated and resource-heavy. I prefer to roll out my own as a simpler Ubuntu box with Cockpit where I can make it do whatever I want. I use the CLI most of the time but there are things that are easier to see and visualise over a GUI when managing my pools.

Beardmann

Jan 24, 2023
I'm sorry, but it seems like the GUI is broken again. This time while I am resilvering my draid3 pool ...
Dashboard, Pools, Stats and Settings, shows OK, but the "Disks" option fails with the "An unhandled error has occurred. Reload"
When selecting the pool, Datasets, Snapshots, Settings, Maint and Recommendations works, but Topology fails with "Loading..." and the error above...

Below you can see the pool resilvering...

Code:
root@box:~# zpool status
  pool: aggr0
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The pool will
    continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 2 days 10:05:20 with 0 errors on Tue Jul 11 10:29:22 2023
  scan: resilver (draid3:19d:24c:2s-0) in progress since Mon Jul 24 19:40:55 2023
    11.3T scanned at 2.12G/s, 10.4T issued 1.95G/s, 359T total
    482G resilvered, 3.15% done, 1 days 22:36:05 to go
config:

NAME                   STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    aggr0                  DEGRADED     0     0     0
      draid3:19d:24c:2s-0  DEGRADED     0     0     0
        0a-0               ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-1               ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-2               ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-3               ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-4               ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-5               ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-6               ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-7               ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-8               ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-9               ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-10              ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-11              ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        spare-12           DEGRADED     0     0     0
          0a-12            UNAVAIL      3     4     0
          draid3-0-0       ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-13              ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-14              ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-15              ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-16              ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-17              ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-18              ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-19              ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-20              ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-21              ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-22              ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
        0a-23              ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
    special
      mirror-1             ONLINE       0     0     0
        nvme01-part1       ONLINE       0     0     0
        nvme02-part1       ONLINE       0     0     0
    cache
      sdc1                 ONLINE       0     0     0
      sdd1                 ONLINE       0     0     0
    spares
      draid3-0-0           INUSE     currently in use
      draid3-0-1           AVAIL