Quanta LB4M 48-Port Gigabit Switch Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Ebay bucks is Ebay credit that you could use for future EBAY purchase.
For most of us, EBAY bucks is just as good as gold or green back cash since we find deals on EBAY all the time.

Reactions: Patrick

lmk

Dec 11, 2013
Is it safe to say that the LB4m switch will take any SFP+ transceivers/gbics and work?

i.e. Cisco, Avago, IBM, Brocade, Finisar, etc?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ebay bucks is Ebay credit that you could use for future EBAY purchase.
For most of us, EBAY bucks is just as good as gold or green back cash since we find deals on EBAY all the time.
I am actually very good at accumulating Ebay bucks. :)

mixtecinc

Feb 18, 2013
What's a good 10 GB Network Card that can work with this switch? (For use in Windows 2012 R2 Server)

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
ConnectX-2 EN or ConnectX-3 EN. Don't pay more than $99 used on ebay. There are lots of them out there listed @ about $150 but most sellers are accepting sub-$100 offers.

For 10Gbe the only practical difference between the 2 and 3 is that the 3 supports SMB Direct - which only matters if both ends of the connection are running server 2012 since MS disables it in win 8/8.1.

adthrawn

Dec 10, 2014
In response to the quoted post in the previous thread, I'm posting the flash contents from a unit purchased from brandon-nettech on eBay.

The images that I have seem to be a different revision than the ones that came with ewheelerinc's unit.

The file names on mine are H-Search-Ent-esw-lb4m-qc8541-V66S-CS-QHr1v1m1b8.opr and Ent-esw-xgs3-LB4M-dni8541-VSM-QHr1v0m2b17.opr and can be downloaded from this link.

Hi,

I've just registered as I found this thread, so this is my first post on here…

As a caveat, I've only just discovered these switches in the last few days, so I don't have any yet. If these do prove to be worthwhile, I'm planning to get 3 or 4 (and then figure out how the hell I can mesh them together).

I've found a few interesting bits whilst researching, including this gem:
- The Quanta LB4M - Cheap White Box Switching? - LameJournal - this is a blog by someone also trying to get one going; they've also linked to a few interesting PDF, including a comparison table between the whole range Quanta had.

Having read the original thread this thread comes from as well, it looks like there's been issues or questions over running Indigo and U-Boot on the switch. After a bit of research I've stumbled upon the following:
- LB4GImageSetup - OpenFlow Wiki - I know this is for the LB4G, but from what I understand they'll be pretty damn close in terms of their design and VxWorks config?
- http://ece.k-state.edu/sunflower_wiki/images/9/97/Quanta_lb4g_config.pdf - an interesting doc for installing OpenFlowSwitch; again for the LB4G but is it relevant still?

Based on a Cisco support document, there's a few indications as to the firmware numbering, including older versions numbered 1.0.1.x and newer versions numbered 5.0.x… Theres no reference to different versions of the firmware (routing/switching), but it does just list the unit as a switch (no indication as to layer). The 5.0.x points toward the VxWorks version, and the 1.0.1.x seems to point to the actual software version; though Cisco is just listing these for inbuilt support for management.

As a side note, FASPATH is Broadcom's own product, hence the stupid response I've had and it seems others have had from Quanta, saying it's a 3rd party product. They're entirely right, but could be a little clearer in stating it's actually Broadcom's software stack. It would also appear from what I've seen that these switches are based on Broadcom's reference design...

Regards
Ad.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I suggest you do a little reading up on LAGs before you attempt it. When you have a good understanding about static and dynamic LAGs it should be quite straight forward to setup.

Basically if you input the same on both switches in Switching -> Port Channel the port channel should come online automatically. Some notes,
- Port channels will appear as virtual ports when configured (3/1, 3/2 etc).
- A port channel will be visible under VLAN configuration and STP
- Up to 8 ports in each LAG
- LACP or dynamic LAG auto-negotiates parameters, thus if you manually enter a dynamic LAG on both switches its the exact same thing as a static LAG.
- I do not know the impact of the different Load balance algorithms. I currently use the default one.
- STP will not be used for lag port participants. Instead STP will be used for the port channel (i.e 3/1) and not its members.
- A LAG name cannot contain spaces, will not work.
- A lag MTU can only be changed through the CLI.

more info on LAGs,
"There are two types of LAG groups. These are Static and Dynamic.
- A Static LAG-group is configured on both equipments. Theres no communication about the LAG between the equipments. If the port fail on one equipment the other equipment is not informed. Instead it has to detect that one link/port is down and switch communications to another port in the LAG.
- A Dynamic LAG needs configuration on only one of the two equipments. The other equipment only needs to be listening for LACP packages (often on by default). Dynamic LAG is called LACP since it exchanges LACP data units (LACPDU). Using these packages both equipments talk and establish how the LAG should be used/setup. They also exchange information i.e. if a port/link goes down. This helps detecting link failures since the equipment will notify its counterpart.

A LACP switch may be Active or Passive. In active mode it sends out LACP packages to any receivers. In Passive mode it waits for someone else to initiate the contact."
Ok.. I had a chance to learn more about static and dynamic LAG. So I want to create a dynamic LAG group with 8 ports (Port 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27). I understand the port channel setup required for Switch A. For Switch B, what setup is required if any? How can I test to see whether the LAG group is working between Switch A&B? To connect both switches, do I simply use a CAT6 cables to plug port 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 on Switch A to the same port numbers on Switch B?

Thanks for your patience.

Antoine

Oct 25, 2014
Just got mine in. Had to play around with serial console settings a bit and found that a 9600 baud rate works. But you're right. The manual explicitly says the rate needs to be set at 11520. Practically pulled my hair out as this should be a piece of cake.
By the way, I like the fan mod. Are you driving that off of the fan daughter board?
Both fan are directly connected on the mainboard where the 3 litlle fan were. As I am using this switch for home usage, I needed it to be way quieter than it was stock. They are slim fan @1600 RPM bought on NCIX for about 10$ in rebate, and the grill were 5$ each I beleive. Nice project to do!

You only need 3 pins connected. I blindly tried Antoine's wiring from the pic and it did not work. Must be using some other cable (rolled?) with it.

I'm going from a LB4M -> CAT5 -> RJ45 to DB9 adapter -> USB to Serial adapter... here's what I have connected:

RJ45 to DB9 adapter:
Black -> Pin 2
Yellow -> Pin 3
Red -> Pin 5

View attachment 90

Hope that helps.
Hope it may help anyone trying to use it! My friend got me a cisco DB9-Rj45 from his job which works perfectly so I cancelled the project to wire my own adapter.. Works perfectly and sells for about 15-20$ on ebay.
---

For all the folks trying to do port channel (8 port aggregation), I can confirm it work. Another knowing of mine got the Lb4M and he did the port aggregation to link two switch during the college's LAN party. Can't really explain the steps myself as I didn't set it up, but the least I can do is confirm that it worked perfectly.

Hope that helps.

What's a good 10 GB Network Card that can work with this switch? (For use in Windows 2012 R2 Server)
I personally got a Mellanox Connect-X 10Gbit SFP+ card which works perfectly fine on either Windows 7, server 2008+ and Linux when finding the good driver. Would defenitly recommend. Got mine (kinda by mistake, I tought it was 10gbit rj-45) on ebay for 120$ I beleive.

Last edited:

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Both fan are directly connected on the mainboard where the 3 litlle fan were. As I am using this switch for home usage, I needed it to be way quieter than it was stock. They are slim fan @1600 RPM bought on NCIX for about 10$ in rebate, and the grill were 5$ each I beleive. Nice project to do!

Hope it may help anyone trying to use it! My friend got me a cisco DB9-Rj45 from his job which works perfectly so I cancelled the project to wire my own adapter.. Works perfectly and sells for about 15-20$ on ebay.
---

For all the folks trying to do port channel (8 port aggregation), I can confirm it work. Another knowing of mine got the Lb4M and he did the port aggregation to link two switch during the college's LAN party. Can't really explain the steps myself as I didn't set it up, but the least I can do is confirm that it worked perfectly.

Hope that helps.

I personally got a Mellanox Connect-X 10Gbit SFP+ card which works perfectly fine on either Windows 7, server 2008+ and Linux when finding the good driver. Would defenitly recommend. Got mine (kinda by mistake, I tought it was 10gbit rj-45) on ebay for 120$ I beleive.
I would be great if someone detailed the instructions for creating a 8 port aggregation between 2 Quanta LB4m switches.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014

---

Hope that helps.

I can confirm that this cable works as well. I just purchased one from Ebay (see link below). You just need to download the FTDI driver from the internet (see link below).

USB to RJ45 Fit for Cisco Console Cable FTDI Windows Mac Linux RS232 Free s H | eBay

Virtual COM Port Drivers

Now, I just need someone to post the detail instructions on creating a 8 port dynamic LAG between 2 Quanta LB4M switches.

ben555

Dec 12, 2014
Hi,
planing to buy one or two of these switches. But there is a questionmark regarding support for IGMP V3 and IGMP snooping with the firmware on switches that are sold of ebay?
Could someone please clarify this for me.

Regards
Ben

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
It would be great if folks post some of the settings that they have changed that would optimize this switch running in a home production environment. There are some many settings available.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Hi,
planing to buy one or two of these switches. But there is a questionmark regarding support for IGMP V3 and IGMP snooping with the firmware on switches that are sold of ebay?
Could someone please clarify this for me.

Regards
Ben
It's available. Can you explain the benefit of this feature and how best to configure it.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I have noticed that it takes 20 to 25 seconds for a computer to establish a network connection to the LB4M switch. My computers are running Windows 8.1. It did not do this on my old network switch. Is there a setting on the switch to improve the connectivity time. I have enabled jumbo frames on all the ports on the LB4M switch. Need help....

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
Generally, taking 20-30s to turn up ports is a sign that the switch is expecting to need to use STP on on the port, and it's waiting to make sure that there isn't another switch connected there, waiting to form a loop. There's a way to disable this on most switches; I'm not sure where it hides in the LB4m config.

Lance Joseph

Oct 5, 2014
I have noticed that it takes 20 to 25 seconds for a computer to establish a network connection to the LB4M switch. My computers are running Windows 8.1. It did not do this on my old network switch. Is there a setting on the switch to improve the connectivity time. I have enabled jumbo frames on all the ports on the LB4M switch. Need help....
Thanks for pointing this out. I thought I was nuts, but you're right - it takes at least 10-15 seconds for my network connections to get established.
Here's how I fixed that.
Login to your LB4M. System -> Switching -> Spanning Tree -> Switch Configuration/Status -> 'Disable' Spanning Tree Admin Mode
Note that this may have negative implications, depending upon your network layout. For my setup, there's only one switch so it's all good.
You may then wish to save your changes by going to System -> System -> System Utilities -> Save all applied changes.

That's it. I've tested this on three different machines - all are wired into the same switch and all were seeing the issue that you reported.
Thanks!

Reactions: Chuckleb