Where are the DDR5 ECC UDIMMs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
To enable ECC logging, I tried installing and starting Rasdaemon and EDAC on my AM5 system with Fedora 37 Workstation, but it failed similar to my Intel system.

Code:
$ sudo dnf install -y rasdaemon edac-util edac-utils libedac edac-ctl

$ sudo systemctl enable rasdaemon
$ sudo systemctl start rasdaemon
$ sudo systemctl enable ras-mc-ctl
$ sudo systemctl start ras-mc-ctl

sudo modprobe edac_mce_amd

$ ras-mc-ctl --status
ras-mc-ctl: drivers not loaded

$ edac-ctl --status
edac-ctl: drivers not loaded.

Last edited:

codec

Feb 27, 2023
So is there any downside to the low-profile Micron memory from wiredzone? It's cheaper than the Hynix plus it's in stock. Seems like a win/win.
If you are talking about the Micron MTC20C2085S1EC48BA, its not actually in stock. It is currently drop-shipped from Supermicro and is still waiting to be released (should be this week according to Wiredzone, YMMV.) As for the form factor, it looks like the picture on wiredzone just got whacked.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
If you are talking about the Micron MTC20C2085S1EC48BA, its not actually in stock. It is currently drop-shipped from Supermicro and is still waiting to be released (should be this week according to Wiredzone, YMMV.) As for the form factor, it looks like the picture on wiredzone just got whacked.
Oh boo. Just ordered my W680 and processor. Hopefully it ships soon I guess.

Reactions: custom90gt

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Not to totally derail this thread, but what did you order mb/cpu/memory wise?
I got the Asus board and picked up a used 12700K for a good price. Going for the micron memory, but I at least have some non ecc to get things up and running on my test bench.

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
Oof. That's rough. I'm reconsidering Zen4 for my uses for reasons unrelated to ECC support. Idle power is just too high for me for something that is going to be running 24/7. Too bad because the power-per-watt efficiency is off the charts for these chips, but I'm typically running 5-10% total CPU load most of the time, with only occasional spikes of full usage. I'm thinking a 12th/13th gen i5 on a W680 board is a better fit for my usage pattern.
Just before I was going to send my 7950X for repair, I cleaned the gold contacts of the CPU the second time, this time with a lot of isopropyl alcohol. This appeared to have fixed the issue.

Yeah, power-per-watt efficiency is one of the reasons I went with AMD instead of Intel. The 7950X has a peak power consumption of 231 Watts, but my 7950X throttled at 190 Watts during a Cinebench stress test. I am using an NH-U14S air cooler and a Meshify 2 case in the standard (high-airflow) layout configuration. 20°C (68°F) ambient temperature. Should've bought the NH-D15 cooler instead. But that is probably still not enough.

On the Intel side, the 13700K has a peak power consumption of 253 Watts and it throttles with a NH-D15 air cooler.

Last edited:

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Took a reading of the 7900x on a pretty barebones x670 system (2x NVME and a MX311a) and it idled at 48-52W at the wall. I'll check against the W680 when I get it here in a bit.

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
Users with Asus motherboards seems to have ECC working looking at the lastest comments here, https://www.reddit.com/r/truenas/comments/10lqofy
I read the latest comments and they match my experience with my Gigabyte B650 board. I also get "6" from the wmic and the dmidecode commands on my B650 board which indicate that it should support "Multi-Bit ECC". But according to this article it means nothing as it only identifies the memory modules themselves as ECC capable and does not indicate CPU or motherboard ECC support.

Last edited:

Tom S

Jan 31, 2017
On the Intel side, the 13700K has a peak power consumption of 253 Watts and it throttles with a NH-D15 air cooler.
Throttling is the new normal. With these new CPUs it's better to embrace it and let the CPU manage its own temperature within the bounds of the cooling solution.

Going full liquid cooling with giant radiators and liquid metal TIM can raise performance very slightly in these all-core workloads, but it's a very marginal improvement.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Did your order get drop shipped? No word here from Wiredzone.

kiyoku

Jan 15, 2021
Did your order get drop shipped? No word here from Wiredzone.
I ordered earlier in the week as well and no word on the ship date. Also slightly annoyed that wirezone's website shows it as "in stock" still.
Also the modules are cheaper on supermicro's estore now, but they are out of stock.

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
Same story, same reasoning as myself that I posted in this thread a couple weeks ago. WZ's stock status is a joke, and if they're just having SM drop ship, you might as well order directly from SM.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Same story, same reasoning as myself that I posted in this thread a couple weeks ago. WZ's stock status is a joke, and if they're just having SM drop ship, you might as well order directly from SM.
Yeah, if you can get SM to sell to you, that's pretty clearly the way to go. They're a bit cheaper to boot. As I said, it's moot for me as my WZ order is on its way (from SM).