Tyan S8030GM2NE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pixelBit

Jul 16, 2019
The top slot on the board (D0 if I remember correctly) was not recognized to be filled which I thought as seating problem, but persisted after resocketing both CPU and a few DIMMs and a few people suggested that cause to me. Could be faulty CPU/board, but I am trying to avoid shipping it back to China as much as I can.

I had a similar issue a few years ago when I purchased the board via retail channels. A specific DIMM slot would frequently fail and almost never come back, so I sent the board to TYAN and they did not find any problems. Unfortunately, the TOMCAT took too long to be returned to me from TYAN, so I moved on to a Supermicro H12 and haven't used the TOMCAT since 2020 yet I frequently dream of it, so I got a CPU for it today!

Back then, I tried different memory, re-seating the CPU, settings, etc... this was not an initial problem with the motherboard.

I'm not sure if the PMU Training (FFE Write Traning, DFE Read Traning, etc.) is exposed in the BIOS -- perhaps you will have some luck tweaking those settings.

I assume the CPU is the offender as the Supermicro H11 and H12 boards were more forgiving -- the CPU and memory was ALMOST always stable with the Supermicro boards -- on a rare occasion a module would dropout during a reboot, but would easily comeback up if re-rebooted.

My specific error was: "WARNING: P0_UMC2_CH_D0 has failed. It has been disabled." :

Does your board throw any errors during post?

I must point out: I did try two different processors.

Last edited:

rafalsz

Feb 2, 2023
Hey, I already posted the actual problem and the solution - a consumer case and standard number of ATX case standoffs, one of which was shorting the slot from the back.

Reactions: pixelBit

xtr

Jan 6, 2023
I'm just setting up my board and running MemTest to make sure that I have no issues with my used memory, so far so good! But the memory benchmarks look pretty low. I basically have the bios set to default minus enabling bifurcation and IOMMU. Googling my memory M393A4K40CB2-CTD it seems like my timings are correct. I will try overclocking to 3200Mhz once this test is done but I was expecting much better results than 14.3 GB/s. I know the timings for 3200 might result in slower memory but i'd like to see by how much. I'd like to square away my slow performance with 2666Mhz first.

7302p-memory.PNG

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
--
But the memory benchmarks look pretty low.
this is not a benchmark. don't use memtest86 if you need exact memory band.

There is no standard way to measure bandwidth. You can get a lot of different results depending on the nature of the test. For example,
- Does the test read and write, or just one direction?
- Is the access linear, or somewhat random?
- How much RAM is used for the test and what % is cached?
- How many CPU cores are used?
- 32bit or 64bit access (of SIMD)?
- How the test algorithm is coded and how much CPU load is introduced? In high level languages (Java, C++, Scripting, etc..) often the RAM is fast enough to keep up with the CPU. So the CPU is the blocking some of the time. You need to use hand coded assembler to really push the RAM, and keep the CPU usage low, but often this results in a rather artificial situation.(source)

xtr

Jan 6, 2023
--

this is not a benchmark. don't use memtest86 if you need exact memory band.

There is no standard way to measure bandwidth. You can get a lot of different results depending on the nature of the test. For example,
- Does the test read and write, or just one direction?
- Is the access linear, or somewhat random?
- How much RAM is used for the test and what % is cached?
- How many CPU cores are used?
- 32bit or 64bit access (of SIMD)?
- How the test algorithm is coded and how much CPU load is introduced? In high level languages (Java, C++, Scripting, etc..) often the RAM is fast enough to keep up with the CPU. So the CPU is the blocking some of the time. You need to use hand coded assembler to really push the RAM, and keep the CPU usage low, but often this results in a rather artificial situation.(source)
Thanks. I was comparing my 7700k desktop machine numbers in aida64 and memtest and they were very similar. So seeing these numbers so low I thought there might be something to it.

xtr

Jan 6, 2023
The post process on this board is pretty slow with all the checks it does. Is there any way to speed this up? I seen a quiet setting in the bios but haven't played with it yet. Does that just post without showing anything on the screen?

xtr

Jan 6, 2023
I seen this interface blink for a molment while logging in. Any way to enable these features? Are they paid or for another model?

Attachments

j_d_w

Aug 17, 2022
Hello,

Since there seems to be a bunch of knowledge about the S8030 on this thread I am going to try my question here.

I have just received a S8030GM4NE-2T with 8x32GB RAM and a EPYC 7302. I have it POSTing and seems happy, first thing I was going to do is update BIOS and BMC to latest then do a memtest. But the BIOS information seems 'weird'

My BIOS version according to the motherboard BIOS and POST screens and the BMC screen:

Code:
BIOS version
V3.00
Build Date
03/05/2020 15:37:06
But if I look at Motherboards S8030 S8030GM4NE-2T the latest version of the BIOS there is:

File Name:S8030GM4NE_2T-bios_v202 (23.2M)
File Date:2023 / 01 / 06
Version:V2.02

So am I looking at the wrong WWW site for BIOS updates? Or is something weird in that I have an older build date with a newer version on the board?

Thanks, Jeff

xtr

Jan 6, 2023
Hello,

Since there seems to be a bunch of knowledge about the S8030 on this thread I am going to try my question here.

I have just received a S8030GM4NE-2T with 8x32GB RAM and a EPYC 7302. I have it POSTing and seems happy, first thing I was going to do is update BIOS and BMC to latest then do a memtest. But the BIOS information seems 'weird'

My BIOS version according to the motherboard BIOS and POST screens and the BMC screen:

Code:
BIOS version
V3.00
Build Date
03/05/2020 15:37:06
But if I look at Motherboards S8030 S8030GM4NE-2T the latest version of the BIOS there is:

File Name:S8030GM4NE_2T-bios_v202 (23.2M)
File Date:2023 / 01 / 06
Version:V2.02

So am I looking at the wrong WWW site for BIOS updates? Or is something weird in that I have an older build date with a newer version on the board?

Thanks, Jeff
Build date is off but that is probably the BMC firmware.

This is mine. Pretty sure I'm as updated as I can get since I don't have a 64MB ROM for firmware version 4.xx and above.

1677472765178.png

j_d_w

Aug 17, 2022
have you a 32mb or 64mb BMC flash chip ?
Hello,

I have the 32MB MBC, checked the spreadsheet. And I know the details I shared are not the BMC as I upgraded it from v1.00 to v2.00 to v3.00 last night. Here is what logging into my IPMI now shows:

TYAN BIOS.jpg

I didn't want to 'update' the BIOS to V2.02 until I saw if anyone else had something like this. Will probably just go ahead and flash to the latest from WWW.

Thanks, Jeff

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
File Name:S8030GM2NE_bios_v300 (11.4M)
File Date:2020 / 03 / 05
Version:V3.00

Description:
- S8030GM2NE BIOS initialized. (V3.00)

j_d_w

Aug 17, 2022
Thanks, never thought to look on the non 10GigE board page. Though I should have realized looking at the other post that many of the users here have the non-10GigE board given the title :)

I wonder if someone put the incorrect BIOS on this board at one point as it has the 2 10GigE ports (one of the reasons I got it). Weird you can flash the BIOS of a different board to it?

End of next memtest cycle will redo the BIOS I guess
Thanks, Jeff

j_d_w

Aug 17, 2022
don't try this, i was just kidding.
It can't hurt anything starting Ubuntu and seeing what it sees. So this is weirder and I am leaning to just leaving it lol.
Tyan PIC Devices.jpg

It sees the two 10GigE ports and the two 1GigE and I am connected to my switch at 10GigE (according to switch) and networking seems to work. More investigation to be done. Wonder if I can use EFI Flash tool to save the current BIOS...

Jeff

j_d_w

Aug 17, 2022
In case anyone else gets here with a similar problem:
  • the v3.00 BIOS I had on my S8030GM4NE-2T was definitely weird as it did not include any config for my 10GigE ports in the BIOS
  • current Ubuntu server could see all the devices fine even with this weird BIOS and could use the 10GigE ports
  • a sha256 hash of the V3.00 S8030GM4NE from AMD EPYC 7002 AMD EPYC 7003 AMD EPYC 7003 with 3D V-Cache Motherboards S8030 S8030GM2NE did not match the V3.00 S8030GM4NE-2T firmware I had so it's not the 'wrong' firmware installed
    • I kept a ROM file of the V3.00 BIOS
  • I used UEFI shell to flash the latest BIOS from Tyan and everything looks good
    • BIOS version V2.02
      Build Date 01/06/2023 13:43:19
    • I now have controls for the 10GigE ports as well for PXE etc

Thanks, Jeff