IKEA Helmer custom cluster

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
Hello guys, I posted this in the reply on another thread but I guess it is better if this has its own thread. I have developed a lasercut plexiglas case that fits inside ikea helmer cabinet to create a budget renderfarm solution for CGI artists like myself to render faster. It is very compact and fits under most desks.

I am not very familiar with cloud cluster computing or servers so I want to hear your opinion, would you be interest in Renderpockets idea for your project? Can you give me your advice on how I can improve renderpockets to adapt better to your projects (more storage space, more ventilation, more CPUs?) I am very interested in understanding your market and hope to be a part of.

Thanks,
Art
View more at: Render Pockets | Facebook
render pockets (in progress)

azev

Jan 18, 2013
WOW !!! that is amazing, now you need to work on storage units :)

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
Thanks Azev, yes I was thinking about making a NAS unit with hot swappable drives in the back, there is enough room to fit 3x2 2.5" bay, but have to use pico psu with adapter outside the case.

That setup can give you 6TB per 1 unit, so times 6, thats 36TB per 1 Helmer. I haven't tried the 3.5" drives yet, I think you can only fit 2x2 bay so if its 3TB hdd you can have 12TB per unit, 72TB per Helmer.

Do you think that will be enough storage for server?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You could have a full shelf of disks too.

Is the only rear I/O the single gigabit port?

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
Thats good idea, like a dedicated shelf of disks, would have to connect it somehow to the system under or above I guess.

Yes, its an adapter, that connects to motherboard gigabit port, but that motherboard only had 1 gigabit port, if I can find mini-ITX board with 2 gigabit ports then maybe I can hook up two adapters?

Dk3

Jan 10, 2014
SG
The bottom is four small wheels, so any info of the max load it can takes ?

Especially when load with shelf of harddisks and this maybe a concern.

Dk3

Jan 10, 2014
SG
I really think this an impressive design. It can be nicely built in home and MOST important, I can leave it in the room without my wife knowing thats a server rack in disguise.
Lol~

Reactions: renderpockets

Marsh

May 12, 2013
if I can find mini-ITX board with 2 gigabit ports then maybe I can hook up two adapters?
I am using System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. System Model: Z97N-WIFI itx motherboard with 2 network ports: 1 Intel and 1 Realtek network. There may be other itx boards as well.

To connect disks, how about couple of mini SAS cables.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
I'd be interested if the top shelf could be modified to fit other/additional hardware i.e. tabletop switch/router/WiFi AP etc. as in, not just a render farm but a complete in-drawers network one could stylishly put out in the open.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Massive kudos for making a rack of servers look modern and friendly!

Hello guys, I posted this in the reply on another thread but I guess it is better if this has its own thread. I have developed a lasercut plexiglas case that fits inside ikea helmer cabinet to create a budget renderfarm solution for CGI artists like myself to render faster. It is very compact and fits under most desks.

Thanks,
Art
View more at: Render Pockets | Facebook
render pockets (in progress)

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
I was thinking about this: http://www.servethehome.com/Server-detail/supermicro-a1sri-2758f-review-rangeley/ as an example. I have stacks of boards with 3-5 ports.
But how does it compare to miniITX with i7? Is the supermicro board faster or does it just have more Ram, because regular miniITX max ram is 16GB and this board can have like 32GB, so I wonder if its the only advantage, plus of-course you get a ton of gigabit ports, so I guess its good for server only?

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
These look fantastic! Nice work.

For the storage "node", I wouldn't worry so much about hotswap. Pico PSU really isn't designed for drives so you would want to keep the SFX PSU. Is there enough room beside the PSU for drives to fit vertically or at least get 6 or so stacked on edge (similar to a node 304)? Would also wan't multiple Ethernet ports on the back.

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
These look fantastic! Nice work.

For the storage "node", I wouldn't worry so much about hotswap. Pico PSU really isn't designed for drives so you would want to keep the SFX PSU. Is there enough room beside the PSU for drives to fit vertically or at least get 6 or so stacked on edge (similar to a node 304)? Would also wan't multiple Ethernet ports on the back.
There is barely enough room to fit 3 x 2.5" hdd next to SFX psu, plus 1 more 2.5" hdd by the motherboard, so a total of 4 x 2.5" hdd is possible with current setup. I wonder if this PSU can handle 6 HDDs: It will give large enough area to put 4 x 5.25" drives or 6 x 2.5" drives.
APEVIA ITX-AP250W 250W Mini ITX Power Supply

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
It should be fine , though it will depend on the drives and the system. But essentially building it for a 1U sized PSU would be good imo.