Tesla P4 - 8GB / US$ 100 or even lower

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jycai

Jan 30, 2021
"Brave" to try a driver from random source.

But thnx to do so :D;)
Love tesla as a car too:Dand don't afraid. Of couse I tried it in my test server on vlan.
I am planning to move my VMs from Esxi to Proxmox to utilize the P4, so some kind risk is worth to take at testing stage to know the enemy.

Reactions: Clampazzo

Clampazzo

Oct 18, 2020
Thank you Clampazzo! I changed the VM from UEFI to default and follow this instruction Install drivers for NVIDIA RTX virtual workstations | Compute Engine Documentation | Google Cloud to install the grid driver in ubuntu 22.04, nvidia-smi is working and no crash after the reboot.

Since I am running the grid driver without license, it should only work for 20 minutes or so. Do you have the script to make it run for 24 hours?
Nice glad it works!

I have not dug into the script, but I suspect there is something in the vgpu discord, but I have not had the time to figure it out on my own. If you find one please let me know.

Reactions: jycai

jycai

Jan 30, 2021
Nice glad it works!

I have not dug into the script, but I suspect there is something in the vgpu discord, but I have not had the time to figure it out on my own. If you find one please let me know.
I found the solution here - KrutavShah / vGPU_LicenseBypass - Linux bypass. However the method only works up to Nividia's vGPU version 14.1(510.73.06) ,later version is no go.

1.Use the command to make the driver run for 24 hours.
Code:
echo 'options nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="UnlicensedUnrestrictedStateTimeout=0x5A0;UnlicensedRestricted1StateTimeout=0x5A0"' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf
sudo update-initramfs -u
reboot

2. Reload the driver by adding a job in /etc/crontab with the below code or reboot Ubuntu VM in proxmox everyday.
Code:
echo "1" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/pci_id_of_vgpu/rescan
it shoud look like - * 3 * * * root echo "1" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:10.0/rescan

Last edited:

Slothstronaut

Apr 27, 2022
Anyone know of a way to spoof a PCIe ID in a bare-metal Windows? I want this card to operate in WDDM alongside a 2080Ti but it freaks out when the GRID driver is replaced by the GeForce driver.

Reactions: Samir

blackholevault

Dec 24, 2022
Ok... this is the thread that I've desperately been seeking.

Question for the people infinitely more knowledgeable than myself. I have a small form factor PC (i3-10105 with integrated graphics and running Windows 10) that I'm using primarily as a Blue Iris server. However I'd like to occasionally use it for gaming and I'd also like to use a low profile GPU to hardware accelerate my Blue Iris. Would the Tesla P4 be a good sub $100 value proposition to help accomplish these goals? As an aside, I know absolutely nothing about virtualization, but I enjoy tinkering, so I'm not sure to what degree that would be necessary, but I'm willing to learn.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
I tried that as well. They want proof of your organisation, this will be forwarded to NVIDIA. This doesn't change that it stays B2B.

Howerver give it a try.

Last edited:

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
Going to throw one of these in my backup servers for plex transcoding. Not too shabby of a card for a 2u system and $90 bucks.

gizzard

Nov 21, 2020
These are still available, now around $75 / each. Any new experiences with these cards on Proxmox? I am planning to get one to use one vGPU in a Win10 Sunlight game server VM and another vGPU in a Ubuntu Docker VM for Frigate and TensorRT.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
These are still available, now around $75 / each. Any new experiences with these cards on Proxmox? I am planning to get one to use one vGPU in a Win10 Sunlight game server VM and another vGPU in a Ubuntu Docker VM for Frigate and TensorRT.
You can do so, it works fine. If you‘re willing to apply for a new trial account every 90 days, able to purchase a license or happy with an older driver that allows to extend downscaling/restrictions to 24h instead of 15 minutes.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
You can do so, it works fine. If you‘re willing to apply for a new trial account every 90 days, able to purchase a license or happy with an older driver that allows to extend downscaling/restrictions to 24h instead of 15 minutes.
Wait. In Promox, you don't need any trial account to get vGPU to work properly. It's ESXi that you have to deal with the 90-day trial account.

Reactions: Samir and dontwanna

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
Wait. In Promox, you don't need any trial account to get vGPU to work properly. It's ESXi that you have to deal with the 90-day trial account.
Well, even if you're going the vgpu-unlock route, you'll need to download the GRID host drivers. These are locked away in the customer portal, for which you need an account.

You can try to find a reputable website where a recent version of the driver is shared, but ymmv.

Reactions: Xeroxxx and Samir

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
Thats not correct. Thats completely unrelated to proxmox. You are required to license every guest system. You need the host drivers as well. There is no way around execpt the ways I mentioned.

Getting the drivers isnt an issue.