Fan connector housing and crimps

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Hi,

I am replacing fans, and would like to do it properly - but I am having issues finding the correct parts.

I am aware that I need a fan connector housing, compatible with MOLEX KK 254 it seems, and then some crimps to attach the cables to.

But I wonder if anyone have any precise part numbers or correct words to search for, since I am not an electronics engineer :)

I have found these:
And

But I am unsure that it is the correct parts and even though its not a lot of money I don't just want to spend money on what would basically be junk if I cannot use it for my 4 pin PWM fans.

And also how am I supposed to get the cables into the housing when the crimp has been attached and firmly pressed together? Using tweezers? Or is there a tool I require?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Hey Bjorn, check https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002905132620.html to see if those guide ridges on the other side shouldn't be asymmetrical instead of at the edges which appears to be the case in your first picture. Will depend on the socket.

To crimp, put wire with insulation into the terminal so that wire is only free from between the two crimp places and into the second (middle) crimp place. Crimp first place with pointy-flat pliers on all four pins so they're nicely the same length. Crimp second place and solder slightly for good measure. Before doing all that, maybe put 2cm of shrink tube on the wires.

When crimped you can just push the terminal into the backside hole of the housing. It will get stuck because the front is not only a contact but also a spring acting as a hook. Push shrink tube forward and shrink with a cigarette lighter. Don't make it too hot, will start to burn.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Hey Bjorn, check https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002905132620.html to see if those guide ridges on the other side shouldn't be asymmetrical instead of at the edges which appears to be the case in your first picture. Will depend on the socket.
Nice link - I might buy that set, since it contains everything :)

And also nice, that its just pushing it down into the housing and it clicks into place. Very easy.

Regarding symmetrical, the original fans are symmetrical with the guides, but I have other fans where is assymetrical - it would be nice if there were just 1 standard for fan connectors, and all wires were the same - but that would make it harder for the companies to pricegouge us :)

The EU should pass a law regarding this, similar to the cell chargers, where its law now that all manufacturers must use usb-c

juma

Apr 14, 2021
I use components from Würth Elektronik.

Housing: 61900411621
Socket: 61900113722DEC

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
There is a possibility to reuse the housings. Push down the small hooks through the rectangular holes with a 2mm screwdriver. Pull out the cable while pushing down and see if the new terminals fit. Chances are good.

@juma How many fans do you have? Since this thread two more...

juma

Apr 14, 2021
Thanks, just what I needed - except the housing is no longer part of their inventory apparently
Interesting, it shows as active and in stock for all of the main US suppliers. It looks like Farnells in the UK has some, but the MOQ is pretty high..

@juma How many fans do you have? Since this thread two more...
I have a box of maybe 20 spares at the moment.. All Noctua, NMB, Foxconn, etc.. My typical process is to replace any stock fans with Sanyo Denki fans and cut the cables to length, resleeve, and add a new connector.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
There is a possibility to reuse the housings. Push down the small hooks through the rectangular holes with a 2mm screwdriver. Pull out the cable while pushing down and see if the new terminals fit. Chances are good.
I gotta try that until I receive the housings and crimps I have ordered - thanks for suggesting this.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Finally 20 days after having ordered - I got my parts to replace fans - and I have done a single test - and it works perfectly.

The ones I linked from ebay works perfect - a bit a PITA to work with because everything is so small and my eyes are not young anymore, but its the correct parts if you want to switch a 4 pin FAN with a "standard" motherboard fan header.