Topton 'NAS' motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sjoerd

Dec 29, 2022
Hi everyone,
Sorry if my question is not relevant for this thread.
I received this Board few days ago but I struggling to find wiring diagram for the F-Panel, was not enable to decode what was written on the board it self.

Sorry again but any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
So yeah - pins seems to be like this:
1 - 2
3 - 4
5 - 6
7 - 8

Based on the silkscreen i assume the following"

HD LED 1 (pos) 3 (neg)
PW LED 2 (pos) 4 (neg)
PW Switch 6 and 8
RESET Switch 5 and 7

I am still waiting on my memory, ssds and case so not hooked it up - but this is how I'm going to hook it up

1672870382625.png

Other thing i noticed is that there is a header for NIC activity

I assume 1-2, 3-4 etc is pos/neg of the LED - I think the 4 smd resistors are the current limiters so should be able to hook up a led directly but I did not receive a manual and I a cant find any online -

1672870970365.png

Attachments

Reactions: MXM-7

MXM-7

Dec 31, 2022
Thank you for your detailed reply. I tried and it seems to work properly.
I installed TrueNas Scale on an Nvme SDD and seems to works fine, the 4 network interfaces also all detected. I put some few old Hard drive and created a share and the speed is really impressive compared to my old synology.

Reactions: sjoerd

sjoerd

Dec 29, 2022
Sweet
Thank you for your detailed reply. I tried and it seems to work properly.
I installed TrueNas Scale on an Nvme SDD and seems to works fine, the 4 network interfaces also all detected. I put some few old Hard drive and created a share and the speed is really impressive compared to my old synology.
No worries - anxious to start with this build myself.. just need to wait til my fav. store got the parts again.

LaunderedShirt

Dec 28, 2022
I'm still waiting for my board to ship, but compiling the rest of the parts in the meantime. Can someone confirm whether the case fan header is 3 pin or 4 pin? From the pictures I've seen it appears to be 3 pin.

sjoerd

Dec 29, 2022
Hey guys... I was about to order two WD Blue SN570 NVMe SSD 1TB and noticed the shop was alerting the customers "this is a type M m.2 connecter". I have not clue if that is the correct one for this board.. Is it? -

Anyone also installed 2x 32GB sodimm on the N5105 version ? - Would really like to know if that would be possible

toeCUTTER.dk

Jan 17, 2023
I just ordered the cw-N5105-nas black pcb version off aliexpress with the Intel 226 LAN chips.
Going to do a router/NAS/home automation/piehole combo device to save power, and retire a 1gbe switch at the same time.
Running a fedora desktop with win vm for gaming, and am gonna use this NAS to snapshot my desktop zfs array to.

I have a few questions that I hope some of you can help me answer:

1. White kind of power consumption are you guys getting (from the wall) ?
2. What model/make psu are you using ?
3. If using picopsu how to power 4-6 3.5" SATA drives ?

Thanks in advance

black88mx6

Jan 19, 2023
cw-N6005-nas board ordered; This will take on the Plex roll that is current managed by my all-in-one nas based on Atom processor C2750. Will be placed in a spare U-NAS (1st generation) case. Additional M.2 5 port JBM585 also added. Plan on using a 500GB Samsung M.2 SATA for boot and Plex. While I have a Samsung 960 Pro 2TB on order, I really don't see the need, and will most likely cancel as I believe one of the M.2 ports will support SATA. (why else would the board have a single SATA port onboard) 8 SATA ports will be used or 4TB drives that I already have. Thank you for all the details so far.

Plan on using Samsung M471A4G43AB1-CWE 32GB SO-DIMMS

Last edited:
Reactions: flobert

LaunderedShirt

Dec 28, 2022
My board arrived today, but I can't get it to power up. I've tried 2 different power supplies. Any ideas before I contact Topton?

black88mx6

Jan 19, 2023
My board arrived today, but I can't get it to power up. I've tried 2 different power supplies. Any ideas before I contact Topton?
Did you try this from the 1st post?

4. The 24+4 pin ATX connector, you have to power the +4pin with 12V, otherwise it will not start up

LaunderedShirt

Dec 28, 2022
Silverstone FX350-G, this is the power supply that I was planning on using. When that didn't work I tried a Corsair SF750 that my son had around as a spare. Yes, 24 pin and 4 pin were both connected.

LaunderedShirt

Dec 28, 2022
After seeing a thread about someone having trouble powering on a Topton mini-PC with a certain SSD I decided to give it another go.
I retried single DIMM A, single DIMM B, dual DIMM, no SSD, SSD in slot 1, SSD in slot 2. Two different sets of DIMMs, two different SSDs.
I plugged in an ethernet cable and have a flashing light on the NIC which I take as a good sign that the board has power. I've tried bridging the pins with a screwdriver instead of using the power switch, but it didn't work.

toeCUTTER.dk

Jan 17, 2023
After seeing a thread about someone having trouble powering on a Topton mini-PC with a certain SSD I decided to give it another go.
I retried single DIMM A, single DIMM B, dual DIMM, no SSD, SSD in slot 1, SSD in slot 2. Two different sets of DIMMs, two different SSDs.
I plugged in an ethernet cable and have a flashing light on the NIC which I take as a good sign that the board has power. I've tried bridging the pins with a screwdriver instead of using the power switch, but it didn't work.
Haven't gotten my board yet, but try and look for a clear cmos pinrow and short that, when power is off.

EDIT: it's called JBAT and its below the mounting hole next to the 4 pin cpu power plug
You can find the "MANUAL" if you go to the manufacturers website. There called Chang Wang and the model is cw-N5105-nas. Topton is just the seller on Aliexpress

Last edited:

LaunderedShirt

Dec 28, 2022
Haven't gotten my board yet, but try and look for a clear cmos pinrow and short that, when power is off.

EDIT: it's called JBAT and its below the mounting hole next to the 4 pin cpu power plug
You can find the "MANUAL" if you go to the manufacturers website. There called Chang Wang and the model is cw-N5105-nas. Topton is just the seller on Aliexpress
I've tried shorting JBAT and I've tried leaving the battery out. I appreciate all the suggestions. I've got decades of experience, so I'm either doing something stupid or I have a bad board. At this point I think I'll be waiting until after Chinese New Year to get a new board.