Dell Optiplex 3000 Thin Client

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Not a lot of expandability options but relatively cheap. Bare spec unit with 4GB RAM and 32GB eMMC without wireless. Might be a good replacement for anyone using the Wyse 5070 for general homelab hosting or an emulation unit. I can see this used with two Coral TPUs (A+E key wifi slot and B+M key NVME m.2) for Frigate, although I am not sure how many RTSP streams it can handle for recording. Given that the 5070 can handle about 4 without issues, I would assume this can handle 5 or 6?

Last edited:

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Has this optiplex 3000 thin client's CPU passive cooling only?

From the experience of Wyse 5070, the 5070 extended(the fat edition) has a small fan on its heatsink, so it doesn't need a USB fan on its top which is needed by the passive cooling of Wyse 5070 slim one.

Reactions: Samir

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Has this optiplex 3000 thin client's CPU passive cooling only?

From the experience of Wyse 5070, the 5070 extended(the fat edition) has a small fan on its heatsink, so it doesn't need a USB fan on its top which is needed by the passive cooling of Wyse 5070 slim one.
Yea it's passively cooled from what I can tell from the disassembly video. I don't believe there's an extended version of this unit like the 5070, a bit unfortunate. I bought one to play around with. I'll let you know about the thermals once I replace my current Frigate setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: newabc and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Not a lot of expandability options but relatively cheap. Bare spec unit with 4GB RAM and 32GB eMMC without wireless. Might be a good replacement for anyone using the Wyse 5070 for general homelab hosting or an emulation unit. I can see this used with two Coral TPUs (A+E key wifi slot and B+M key NVME m.2) for Frigate, although I am not sure how many RTSP streams it can handle for recording. Given that the 5070 can handle about 4 without issues, I would assume this can handle 5 or 6?

[/URL]
The cpu is definitely faster, but still only 4c4t so if the limit is due to thread count, it may not even increase to 5. If the limit is more based on single thread performance, then I think 6 could be possible since the single thread performance is significantly better:

Reactions: foureight84

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
The cpu is definitely faster, but still only 4c4t so if the limit is due to thread count, it may not even increase to 5. If the limit is more based on single thread performance, then I think 6 could be possible since the single thread performance is significantly better:
If uses proxmox ve, the LXC can allow more vCPUs than the total thread amount if don't run all of them in a same time. Or, running docker containers in a VM.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
Yes, it's passively cooled and completely silent. I picked one up from the following thread...

I installed Windows 11 on mine, added another 8GB stick, and set it up in the family office so everyone could have their own login. It's linked to 3 monitors (QHD, QHD, WUXGA resolutions) via a single Display cable and can handle all three screens without any issues. A great little system that is easy to hide, makes no noise, and replaced a bigger/louder computer we used to have in this room.

It's not a performance beast, but for my family's use (Browser, Email, Office Apps, Conferencing Apps etc) it's more than enough.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
The thing though is that recording with Frigate uses ffmpeg and utilizes gpu acceleration. The integrated graphics have improved but ya, maybe not 6. Forgot to mention that this is my estimate with 1080p streams. 2k streams are more demanding.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
interesting there's a punchout in the back, I wonder if it could be expanded easily with second nic.

erik29gamer

Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
I was thinking that the WIFI punch out slot could fit an ethernet port with a 3d printed mount. The 5070 ethernet expansion for the 5070 is an A+E card that goes into the WIFI slot so it might be doable. But I'll know for sure once I have it on hand.

Rttg

May 21, 2020
You’re likely golden @foureight84 . It looks like this generation may have moved to NVMe v. SATA storage on the 5070s - that’d also give you an x4 M-Key to play with (assuming I’m reading between the lines of the spec sheet correctly)

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
I was thinking that the WIFI punch out slot could fit an ethernet port with a 3d printed mount. The 5070 ethernet expansion for the 5070 is an A+E card that goes into the WIFI slot so it might be doable. But I'll know for sure once I have it on hand.
If the spacing on the mounting holes matches a DB-9 size cut out, you might not even need the mount. Check out the pics of this A+E which can fit a DB-9 slot:

Df robot adapter

Might just have enough space for a bolt in. It's available from other vendors under different product names.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
If the spacing on the mounting holes matches a DB-9 size cut out, you might not even need the mount. Check out the pics of this A+E which can fit a DB-9 slot:

Df robot adapter

Might just have enough space for a bolt in. It's available from other vendors under different product names.
That's pretty awesome.

juma

Apr 14, 2021
Innodisk M.2 ethernet adapters use DB9 spacing, the DF Robot looks like it does too. One thing to watch out for is that on Dell TMMs, there is a sheet metal mounting point that obstructs the mounting area by the AUX port slot, which is intended for Dell's own modules to latch onto. You'll probably run into interference issues unless you cut/grind it off. You can see an example of the mating "hook" below, next to where it says "TOP":
s-l1600.jpg

bitslinger

Jan 4, 2023
You’re likely golden @foureight84 . It looks like this generation may have moved to NVMe v. SATA storage on the 5070s - that’d also give you an x4 M-Key to play with (assuming I’m reading between the lines of the spec sheet correctly)
Yes it is a M-key NVMe x4 slot for a 2230 sized card.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Damn someone bought 33 and they are all sold out.

If its possible to put another RJ-45 + serial port for GPS NTP server this would be a great upgrade to a 5070.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Seems they relisted a couple at $185.

These are better specs. I assume these have wifi as well. The other listing only had 4GB ram and onboard eMMC.