Where are the DDR5 ECC UDIMMs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I would've expected 72 and 64. I don't see any options related to ECC in the BIOS. Maybe the upcoming 2.0 update will include that.
should be 80bits
should be 72bits
DDR5 is 2x 32Bit
edit:
there are (if you trust the spec) ECC UDIMM with 2x 36(2x 4bit ECC) bit = 72Bit.
but DDR5 USIMM spec & kingston says 64 or 80 bit(ECC)

Last edited:

chenxiaolong

Nov 16, 2020
I updated the X13SAE-F to the newly released 2.0 BIOS and it seems that ECC is enabled now:

Code:
        Error Correction Type: Single-bit ECC
        Total Width: 72 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
        Manufacturer: SK Hynix
        Part Number: HMCG88MEBEA081N
(Full output: x13sae-f_ecc_bios_2.0.txt)

Not sure why it's not listed as 80 bits.

Reactions: rootshell

Kiririn

Apr 7, 2022
Some UK stock:

Ordered a couple of the cheaper lucky dip one, will update with what I receive

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
There was a post in another forum suggesting that it is an "issue" and the issue is on AMD's side with their implementation of ECC... Current AGESA version is 1003 but they said they will fix it in version 1004 or 1005.

Currently I cannot find any ECC memory in any AM5 motherboard's QVL lists. No ECC memory in their QVL lists might be a deal breaker.

I am currently having issues with non-QVL ECC memory even with an Intel W480 motherboard that was advertised to support ECC (Gigabyte W480m Vision W). Tested two different brands of memory with Memtest86 and it outputs errors. This is with the latest BIOS. I even took extra care like using an antistatic mat and antistatic wrist strap when installing both brands of memory. (I did not use the actual QVL ECC memory because it is out of production, slower and twice as expensive as the non-QVL ECC memory. That board has only had three ECC memory in their QVL list out of the hundreds of non-ECC memory.)
You got “regular” errors in memtest or errors specific to ECC functionality?

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
You got “regular” errors in memtest or errors specific to ECC functionality?
Just regular errors. Both were tested with the latest BIOS. The attached file is a screenshot of a test with one stick of KSM32ED8/32HC memory (32 GB, 3200 MHz, Hynix chips). A representative of Kingston emailed me and said that this exact memory module should work with this exact motherboard, citing the tests with "three different configurations" done by their engineers but they did not go into detail exactly what they tested. This exact memory module is also listed in the Kingston Memory Finder for this motherboard.

I have also tested 16 GB NEMIX memory 3200 MHz with micron chips. I tested a single 16 GB stick alone and with two 16 GB sticks. For the NEMIX ram, errors show up only when I use two sticks. I have also swapped the memory modules on the motherboard slots, one from the slot for the first channel to the second channel, and the other one from the slot for the second channel to the first channel. The resulting error message was identical except that the channel ("CH") changed from a "0" to a "1": "(CH, SL, RK, BK, RW, CL) (1, 0, 2, 1, 1AE45, E0)". I have tried reseating the memory and using different combinations of memory slots and it did not help.

I plan on contacting the motherboard manufacturer about this as it is still in warranty.

There are hundreds of memory in the motherboard's QVL list but were only three were ECC modules. All three of these ECC modules are from Crucial. I have ordered a stick of 32 GB Micron memory twelve days ago that I plan to test (MTA18ASF4G72AZ-3G2R). Crucial server memory modules have recently been rebranded as Micron and the motherboard was sold before its rebranding. Part numbers also changed during its rebranding and the part number of the memory I have ordered is very different from those in the QVL.

The motherboard was bought in new condition from Newegg two years ago (not from a third party seller on Newegg). I have took precautions like using a wrist strap and dual-layered ESD mat attached to a common ground through the ground slot of an electrical outlet; placing the motherboard with the antistatic bag on the ESD mat before taking it out of the bag to discharge it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kiririn

Apr 7, 2022
Just regular errors
I imagine the concern was whether the sticks were operating in non-ECC mode to produce regular errors, but it appears they are working as ECC, as those are ECC errors not regular errors.

It looks like a standard case of 1 bad stick. ECC appears to be working like it should

Reactions: RolloZ170
Sep 10, 2019
SO what ECC memory is recommended ? the Micron/Crucial one or the Kingston ?

And are we 100 % sure the MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R is indeed full ECC ? (and not just on-die ECC that all DDR5 modules have) ?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023
SO what ECC memory is recommended ? the Micron/Crucial one or the Kingston ?

And are we 100 % sure the MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R is indeed full ECC ? (and not just on-die ECC that all DDR5 modules have) ?
Yes. They have 10 chips and report 72 bits wide via dmidecode on Linux.

Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x001C
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Total Width: 72 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 32 GB
Form Factor: DIMM
Set: None
Locator: DIMMB2
Bank Locator: P0_Node0_Channel1_Dimm1
Type: DDR5
Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
Speed: 4800 MT/s
Manufacturer: Micron Technology
Serial Number: S802C0F22453C3DB3E1
Asset Tag: 9876543210
Part Number: MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1
Configured Memory Speed: 3600 MT/s
Minimum Voltage: 1.1 V
Maximum Voltage: 1.1 V
Configured Voltage: 1.1 V
Memory Technology: DRAM
Memory Operating Mode Capability: Volatile memory
Firmware Version: Not Specified
Module Manufacturer ID: Bank 1, Hex 0x2C
Module Product ID: Unknown
Memory Subsystem Controller Manufacturer ID: Unknown
Memory Subsystem Controller Product ID: Unknown
Non-Volatile Size: None
Volatile Size: 32 GB
Cache Size: None
Logical Size: None

edac doesn't report out yet, because the kernel in openSUSE Leap 15.4 (5.14.21) is not new enough to have the new edac support for the W680 chipset.