EXPIRED New Samsung PM983 7.68TB 2.5" U.2 <$490 (edit: All gone)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland

Prices are coming down so I don't know if this is a *great* deal. But, they are new. Drives look untouched / unopened, sequential serial numbers, 0 hours / 0 bytes written. Late 2021 manufacturing date.

Seller accepted á $450 offer for a smaller lot and left a note in the package with his email for even lower prices, skipping eBay fees I guess (and protections).

Reactions: Samir and tinfoil3d

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019

Prices are coming down so I don't know if this is a *great* deal. But, they are new. Drives look untouched / unopened, sequential serial numbers, 0 hours / 0 bytes written. Late 2021 manufacturing date.

Seller accepted á $450 offer for a smaller lot and left a note in the package with his email for even lower prices, skipping eBay fees I guess (and protections).
Can you send me the email? I could use 2. Nevermind I see it in earlier post now thanks.

Reactions: Samir and jei

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
$425 for a lot of 8-10 directly. Time to test that Celestica NVMe DAS that has been sitting on the shelf, I guess. Unfortunately these are single ported drives, but it's not like the Broadcom 9500 NVMe HBAs are exactly cheap right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and jei

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
$425 for a lot of 8-10 directly. Time to test that Celestica NVMe DAS that has been sitting on the shelf, I guess. Unfortunately these are single ported drives, but it's not like the Broadcom 9500 NVMe HBAs are exactly cheap right now.
The tri-mode hba's have performance and connectivity compromises for NVMe use (price of flexibility--TANSTAAFL). I'd suggest the LSI P411w-32p; but not cheap either. If you want inexpensive, look for a Ceacent ANU28PE16.

Reactions: Samir and Indecided

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
Celestica NVMe DAS? Sounds interesting, do you have a product id / part number?

Reactions: Samir

ano

Nov 7, 2022
they are unobtanium pretty much, even trying to get them new :|

I have lots of dual port drives, lots of nvme slots, lots of 9500, and 0 external dual cabinets to try

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Celestica NVMe DAS? Sounds interesting, do you have a product id / part number?
The unit I snagged was an OEM unit for Dell/EMC and based on scouring the 'net, it is a shelf off a Dell/EMC Powermax DAE. Model number is X2024-M, which appears to be a Celestica Nebula G2. There is very little information out there, I think there was one other guy who bought one and I think he didn't get any further then HBA selection.

Preliminary findings were that it's a Gen4 enclosure, but i've been swamped with backlog to get to really testing this unit out.

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
The tri-mode hba's have performance and connectivity compromises for NVMe use (price of flexibility--TANSTAAFL). I'd suggest the LSI P411w-32p; but not cheap either. If you want inexpensive, look for a Ceacent ANU28PE16.
As so expected. I am stuck mid-upgrade from a SAS2 head going to a few SAS3 shelves and I was reconsidering going to SAS3 for our main VM pool at all as it seems that we are always two or three cycles behind. However, we value stability over speed/bleeding-edge (and our limited tech budget doesn't help either...) so it seems NVMe on shelves will be relegated to non-critical production use for now.

The Ceacent looks like a very straight shot, thanks for the info - i'll check that out!

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
they are unobtanium pretty much, even trying to get them new :|

I have lots of dual port drives, lots of nvme slots, lots of 9500, and 0 external dual cabinets to try
Yep, there was a point where we had a ton of dualported drives, no HBA, no dual cabinets.
Now, two very small (100GB) dual-port drives, 1 dinky 9500-16e HBA, one dual cabinet.

If there's any interest, I'll start a post on my findings - but it will probably be sometime this month as we are sitting in an alligator swamp - have too many critical production CRs to address, no time to play with hardware...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
The unit I snagged was an OEM unit for Dell/EMC and based on scouring the 'net, it is a shelf off a Dell/EMC Powermax DAE. Model number is X2024-M, which appears to be a Celestica Nebula G2. There is very little information out there, I think there was one other guy who bought one and I think he didn't get any further then HBA selection.

Preliminary findings were that it's a Gen4 enclosure, but i've been swamped with backlog to get to really testing this unit out.
Something like this here?
and https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/q2yjo9
Thats actually a Gen3 device and needs a special card to work

• Love
Reactions: Samir and Indecided

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Thats actually a Gen3 device and needs a special card to work
Yeah, the 9500 HBA is not compatible with the X2024-M in any way at all. You need the R0932 card for it. And that together with the X2024-M needs to be produced after march 2017 to have the second PCIe switch hardware stepping. Else its basically a dead weight.
I have a box with two cards if anyone in Sweden is interested. Im not sure its feasable in EU to ship it. But it is compatible with a SAS enclosure if you want to swap midplane and canisters. Thats what I did to avoid shipping from US of the box.

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Yeah, the 9500 HBA is not compatible with the X2024-M in any way at all. You need the R0932 card for it. And that together with the X2024-M needs to be produced after march 2017 to have the second PCIe switch hardware stepping. Else its basically a dead weight.
I have a box with two cards if anyone in Sweden is interested. Im not sure its feasable in EU to ship it. But it is compatible with a SAS enclosure if you want to swap midplane and canisters. Thats what I did to avoid shipping from US of the box.
Wow - it seems that since I bought it (yes, it has been sitting for about _THAT_ long in between then including a few months of a long voyage at sea) and some a lot has changed. Thanks @Rand__ and @sparx for the research. That is literally a gold mine (considering how little there is out there about this unit).

It looks like It's time to order some trays, and a R0932 and attempt to get this party started. It doesn't seem like the R0932s are exactly common either, so I'm guessing the only "1 available, 1 sold" must have been bought by this other party.

So sorry for derailing this thread.

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
It seems like I'm hitting 16Gbps ceiling transfer rate with these drives. Should be a lot faster. Could be custom firmware limited? FW EDB56W0Q. There might be other more plausible reasons too but it will save me a lot of trouble if someone can confirm faster transfers on these.