Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T.Sharp

Oct 22, 2022
Are you talking about the J6413 or the N6005? I saw the video where Patrick talked about the N5105 vs. the N6005. I haven't seen a video yet where he reviews the J6413 except to mention that he has received some review units but hasn't actually reviewed yet. Perhaps there is an article on the web site. I forgot to look there first.

FWIW, I do intend to run Proxmox. I will have VMs for pfSense or OPNsense, my company's VPN and possibly Pi-hole.
You're right, I was thinking of the N6000 series. Looking at Passmark benchmarks, there seems to be even less difference in raw performance between the N5105 and J6413.

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Are you talking about the J6413 or the N6005? I saw the video where Patrick talked about the N5105 vs. the N6005. I haven't seen a video yet where he reviews the J6413 except to mention that he has received some review units but hasn't actually reviewed yet. Perhaps there is an article on the web site. I forgot to look there first.

FWIW, I do intend to run Proxmox. I will have VMs for pfSense or OPNsense, my company's VPN and possibly Pi-hole.
Just FYI - I currently have a J4125 based device with 4 x i225 NICs & 16GB RAM and it runs Proxmox with OPNSense, docker and PiHole without issue . . . I pass two of the physical NICs from Proxmox to OPNsense via immu (PCI passthrough) - So the N5105 is enough for such tasks - YMMV ;) Still, I broke down and got myself a Ryzen 5800U unit - only because I think for the price performance - this is one hell of a Proxmox/Firewall combi device :cool: The J6413 is a tiny bit more power efficient - but the savings are not substantial to counter the uplift in price . . . Have fun!

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
Just FYI - I currently have a J4125 based device with 4 x i225 NICs & 16GB RAM and it runs Proxmox with OPNSense, docker and PiHole without issue . . . I pass two of the physical NICs from Proxmox to OPNsense via immu (PCI passthrough) - So the N5105 is enough for such tasks - YMMV ;) Still, I broke down and got myself a Ryzen 5800U unit - only because I think for the price performance - this is one hell of a Proxmox/Firewall combi device :cool: The J6413 is a tiny bit more power efficient - but the savings are not substantial to counter the uplift in price . . . Have fun!
Do you know what's the mains power consumption for full load J4125 box?
My N5105 i225 box @4x2.8Ghz consumes around 25 Watts full load prime95 or aida_64_FPU in win.

Reactions: Stovar

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Do you know what's the mains power consumption for full load J4125 box?
My N5105 i225 box @4x2.8Ghz consumes around 25 Watts full load prime95 or aida_64_FPU in win.
Never measured it and I don't have the means to measure it - running Proxmox I set the scaling-governor to "ondemand" and its running around 40C using a USB fan sitting on top - not sure if I can measure it under Proxmox - sorry :(

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
Never measured it and I don't have the means to measure it - running Proxmox I set the scaling-governor to "ondemand" and its running around 40C using a USB fan sitting on top - not sure if I can measure it under Proxmox - sorry :(
It's not important, I'm just curious about J4125 full load power consumption, thanks for your reply anyway.

poohbah

Nov 12, 2022
I received a kingnovy j6143 box a few days ago (i226 x6 version). On an uncalibrated smart plug it's reading about 13w at idle with xcp-ng as the base and a single opnsense VM running but not really doing anything. I have no idea what load wattage is. The top of the box is consistently about 94 degrees in a 70 degree room. So far it runs ok although I did have an unexplained shutdown that may have been a short power outage.

For anybody considering xcp-ng, you have to use the 8.3 alpha that was just released or you get a blank screen on installation. The alpha seems pretty nice so far and they integrated a minimal xen orchestra at the machine IP.

Edit: I had another unexplained shutdown so I moved to proxmox for further testing. I'm also seeing screen corruption when using installers, like Proxmox. The screen issues make it difficult to install things unless I can find a picture of the screen online or use Alt keys (e.g. alt-n for next). If proxmox fails too, I'll try opnsense bare metal, and if that crashes too, I'll assume I have a dud. Memtest came back clear.

Anybody else seeing screen issues when using dos-based installers?

Last edited:

qQ4lXbYj

Jun 15, 2021
I got the Topton miniPC with 4 ports and an additional COM port with an Intel i5-1135G7and I have installed Proxmox on it.
It works perfectly the first time you boot it (now that I got a massive USB Noctua fan on top of it) but if you powercycle it just starts restarting after a couple of minutes and it is only possible to boot in to recovery mode.
Can someone help me make sense of what is wrong in the journalctl logs
journalctl -xb output

ch0wner

Jul 25, 2022
Hey forum,
So I'm glad to update I got my n5105 box from topton (the newer one with the usb c)
However I ordered this fan https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DXS86G7/ which other users have claimed to successfully connect to the device, but for some reason I couldn't find the USB port on the motherboard or the specsheet anywhere online... feeling like I'm just missing it for some dumb reason

Another question is I wanted you guys to give a review of the thermal paste application that came from the factory.. do you think I should repaste it?

1670199749905.png1670199777162.png

Last edited:

Eggroll

Aug 31, 2022
Hey forum,
So I'm glad to update I got my n5105 box from topton (the newer one with the usb c)
However I ordered this fan https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DXS86G7/ which other users have claimed to successfully connect to the device, but for some reason I couldn't find the USB port on the motherboard or the specsheet anywhere online... feeling like I'm just missing it for some dumb reason

Another question is I wanted you guys to give a review of the thermal paste application that came from the factory.. do you think I should repaste it?

View attachment 25952View attachment 25953
Assuming you got the V4, there should be USB 2 pin headers on the motherboard. You can check the pinout diagram for USB 2 but the first and 2nd last rows should be your +5V and ground pins. I've arrowed them in my picture of my motherboard.

As for the repaste, I would still recommend as long as you have something decent on hand but you can always wait till you get it up and running to check thermals first. As long as you idle in the 40's and under you should be ok.

Attachments

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Hi all, I think an USB powered 120mm or 140mm fan on the top of the box will be less noise, but this needs more space over it.

DarkHelmet

Nov 2, 2022
Hey forum,

View attachment 25952View attachment 25953

That paste looks pretty thick. I'd be checking the gap after cleaning the paste. I suspect you might have a gap. Might consider using a shim. I'd also remove the copper slab, clean it and sand down the paint between it and the case. Reinstall it with paste between it and the case

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
That paste looks pretty thick. I'd be checking the gap after cleaning the paste. I suspect you might have a gap. Might consider using a shim. I'd also remove the copper slab, clean it and sand down the paint between it and the case. Reinstall it with paste between it and the case
Yes, without gap we would see like a finger print impression from the die into the copper, something like 2 rectangles drawn into the copper and all paste would be squeezed to the die sides and it's not the case.

evlo

Dec 5, 2022
I know there is probably answer somewhere in this thread that I can't find ...

I do want to upgrade to 2.5G, so I found these boxes on ali, looks nice, N5105 especially, now in the sth article they say 10w idle consumption, that is same as asus router with hw nat broadcom. I found some video on youtube where n5105 consumes only 4w for the guy. Is the power adapter doing such i big difference? Are there some findings how to lower consumption on N5105 units?

Second question:
What cheapo APs have 2.5g input port and 160Mhz channel width wifi at the same time? Or what do you use as an APs with these boxes?

My usage for the box would mainly be wan to lan nat, no really any firewall, some port forwarding and and lan ports in the bride. Is the bridge for a "switch" also cpu intensive?

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
@evlo YouTube link, could you share it? It depends on OS and Bios tuning to reduce power consumption.

With WiFi you will almost not get above 600Mbit, of course laying on the AP it self its higher. UniFi U6-Enterprise or Pro maybe?

evlo

Dec 5, 2022

Why would I not go above 600Mbps trough wifi using this box? What is difference with the cable? With asus routerAP I'm getting 800+Mbps, but it does have only 80Mhz channels. And asus routerAP is not even mounted on the ceiling, so not the best signal I could get probably.

Maybe it is just that the belkin wattmeter in youtube video is not that accurate?

Last edited:

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Second question:
What cheapo APs have 2.5g input port and 160Mhz channel width wifi at the same time? Or what do you use as an APs with these boxes?
I ordered a tp-link omada EAP670. It was about $150 and should arrive tomorrow. No personal experience with the product line yet, but it uses 2.5gb POE.

on my pixel 6 and pixel 7 phones, I can actually speedtest up to about 919mbps over wifi with a consumer 5ghz Wifi 5 (ax) consumer router (ASUS AX82U. So in theory the speed might be getting capped just a bit by my gigabit ethernet cable and by my gigabit internet service.

qQ4lXbYj

Jun 15, 2021
My motherboard has GF-1449NP(i5-1135G7)-12 Ver 1.1 written on it and I am having issues with Proxmox. Another user (@bndr) had similar issues with it. The device works the first time you install proxmox and after power cycling it restarts every couple of minutes. You can boot into recovery mode without a problem though. I would like to try 2 things:
1. Use an older Proxmox with a different Linux kernel because I have seen a few issues relating to 5.15 which is the default in Proxmox 7.3
2. Check whether I can update the BIOS.
The problem with 2 is that I am not sure where to look for an updated version. The Changwang mini PC motherboards have a product number starting from CW does this mean that GF is from another manufacturer? And if so does anyone know which company GF is? Is Topton the motherboard and chassis maker?

andrea87

Oct 15, 2022
North-east Italy
For those of you having issues with the i5-1135g7 on Proxmox, which linux kernel and microcode?

before restarting I would install the 5.19 kernel and last microcode from Intel.

Code:
** kernel 5.19
apt update
apt install pve-kernel-5.19

**intel microcode - requires non-free repository enabled in  /etc/apt/sources.list 
apt update
apt install intel-microcode

lukasig

Oct 31, 2022
I know there is probably answer somewhere in this thread that I can't find ...
Follow the conversation on these posts:

@T.Sharp seems to be interested enough about power consumption to tweak to max efficiency and share findings.
I am also following this thread to see what BIOS settings can be adjusted to facilitate that.
BTW...
My laptop has a i5-8250U processor and it idles at an incredibly 2-3W (not turned off, not in standby, just on idle with the display off). So I do believe we can expect a lower than 10W TDP especially out of the N5100.

The TDP has very little to do with the PSU supplied with these units. I've tested quite a few with pretty much the same results. Aslo see this:

Last edited:

ddutch206

Nov 10, 2022
I received a kingnovy j6143 box a few days ago (i226 x6 version). On an uncalibrated smart plug it's reading about 13w at idle with xcp-ng as the base and a single opnsense VM running but not really doing anything. I have no idea what load wattage is. The top of the box is consistently about 94 degrees in a 70 degree room. So far it runs ok although I did have an unexplained shutdown that may have been a short power outage.

For anybody considering xcp-ng, you have to use the 8.3 alpha that was just released or you get a blank screen on installation. The alpha seems pretty nice so far and they integrated a minimal xen orchestra at the machine IP.

Edit: I had another unexplained shutdown so I moved to proxmox for further testing. I'm also seeing screen corruption when using installers, like Proxmox. The screen issues make it difficult to install things unless I can find a picture of the screen online or use Alt keys (e.g. alt-n for next). If proxmox fails too, I'll try opnsense bare metal, and if that crashes too, I'll assume I have a dud. Memtest came back clear.

Anybody else seeing screen issues when using dos-based installers?
No unexplained shutdowns here. You're likely running CWWK J6413 box with a Kingnovy sticker slapped on it. You can try updating the BIOS (CWWK posted a version on Nov 23) but validate that the board matches it (there is a sticker on the backside of the main board).

Also no weird screen issues with using dos-based installers.

I'm running Opnsense (latest version), Kingston SSD, g-skill (2x8GB) ram and have a noctuna 5v in exhaust mode installed. I also applied better thermal paste before putting it to use. CPU temp is hovering at 37C.

Good luck!

Reactions: gig