Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Oarman

Feb 28, 2021
I would avoid the topton store like the plague. Order Nov4 last minutes of order protection made a shipping label on Nov15 has not been delivered unit to the carrier. refuses to answer. Buyer beware
I'm in the same boat with almost the exact dates. (Ordered mine the 5th.) Original estimated delivery date was December so I'm not exactly panicking but certainly in the future I'd go direct with CWWK instead.

miroco

Aug 22, 2022
So all this talk about the topton ssd choice being poor quality has me worried. How easy is to replace with a name brand ssd? I already have opnsense installed and tweaked a bunch. Can I transfer my existing drive to new one? Which ssd would be recommend ?

I have the topton j6413 6 port.

Hi!

This is the way I'd do it.

In OPNsense go to System -> Configuration -> Backups -> Backup Configuration

On the new SSD, install the latest version of OPNsense and apply the backup file you just created.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
I'm in the same boat with almost the exact dates. (Ordered mine the 5th.) Original estimated delivery date was December so I'm not exactly panicking but certainly in the future I'd go direct with CWWK instead.
Not to undermine your situation but keep in mind COVID situation is fragile in China right now, so ordering from other another vendor might not necessarily put you back on fast track.

Reactions: ddutch206 and rfox

jawa78

Nov 6, 2022
Not to undermine your situation but keep in mind COVID situation is fragile in China right now, so ordering from other another vendor might not necessarily put you back on fast track.
I dealt with with a number of vendors from aliexpress for years now qotom being one of them there was time when things did not work out time wise but knew in advance as they were upfront and straightforward. saying ok dear we will ship is and not doing it kind of the opposite. Topton customer service has been the worst out of the vendors I have dealt with.

DanielL

Nov 3, 2022

progress on topton "seller's shipping method"
"can be tracked and deliver faster than DHL" as they write
LOL

duggum

Nov 28, 2022
For those getting boxes, especially the types with few info in the thread so far (like J6412, j6413): could you quickly plug a "kill a watt" or similar between box and wall and measure power consumption?

I guess most people who want to build such a smaller FW router are focussed on that aspect especially with rising energy cost in a lot of parts of the world.
I've got a device with a J6412 CPU (the Jetway HBFBZ10 that someone mentioned earlier in the thread, purchased from MITXPC), I tested it using a killawatt last week. The device has a single NVME SSD and 1 SODIMM. With three of its four network ports in use and minimal CPU utilization and network traffic (there's a server connected so there's always some traffic) the device generally draws 10.4 watts. While running a speed test and filling a 1 gbps pipe I think it crept up to 14 watts. It never got as high as 15 watts, though I should say I'm not doing anything fancy... no Suricata, Sensei, etc, and my network connection uses PPPoE, so under load I'm only stressing 1 core. Under moderate use (streaming some video, while simultaneously browsing the web) it generally hung out somewhere around 10.5 - 11.5 watts.

BTW, for those of you wondering, the Jetway performs well, but the idle temp is 46c which seems a bit on the warm side, though certainly not unacceptable. I didn't bother to check temperatures of the system until it was being used as my firewall so I'm willing to leave with it as is.

Reactions: Stovar

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
yes because J64xx is tunned more for low power devices/IOT then N5xxx which is for low end laptops/desktops... same architecture same node different "tune"

cookiemonsteruk

Mar 4, 2020
Hi,
I am considering getting myself one of the CWWK Ryzen boxes after reading all of the posts and watched the videos. My plan would be to use it as a PVE, opnsense, pi hole (or similar), truenas and jellyfin host with a possibility to passthrough the GPU into a vm for playing something small on the TV. It seems the gpu passthrough has been successfully done (although no mention if rebooting the vm works).
I am just wondering what the import tax rate for Europe is that you had to pay (not the ones bought through amazon, of course). Getting through the EU tax rate system requires a degree in financial law.
Hi. I received mine a few days ago and the performance compared to my APU4 is ridiculously good. OPNsense was baremetal of course on the APU. I went virtualized with the little Ryzen unit. I put proxmox on a 120 GB SSD, installed OPN and restored the config. First time it froze because the interfaces were different. I then modified the config to reflect the new ones, and that allowed me to finish the configuration.
I've given it 4 cores, 4 threads and 4 GB of RAM. I only have put a single 8 GB memory stick I took out of a spare laptop. Since then enabled IDS & IPS AND Zenarmor and it barely registers 3% CPU usage. Once I get the new memory sticks I have on order, I'll reduce to 2 cores and see.
My import costs were 60 GBP that included 8 for handling fee at the post office.

Last edited:
Reactions: vegatuxssj

cookiemonsteruk

Mar 4, 2020
Hi!

This is the way I'd do it.

In OPNsense go to System -> Configuration -> Backups -> Backup Configuration

On the new SSD, install the latest version of OPNsense and apply the backup file you just created.
True for the main configuration BUT if you have tweaked configuration files from plugins, they don't transfer. From my last experience a few days ago, settings that did not transfer:
- Custom filters in AdGuardHome. I run it on OPN with the mimugmail repo. This wasn't expected (by me).
- I run stubby from pkg and my config tweaks were not transferred. This was expected.
- Crowdsec. The settings were transferred but the IDs of instances like machines, bouncers, etc. change on reinstall of the plugin. I had to re-register them. It took me a few hours to figure out how.
So it was easy to recover by simply mounting the old storage on a machine and getting those files out.

jawa78

Nov 6, 2022
I found the loksing.com.cn website. They deliver goods very quickly. My order was sent the same day, and the customer service answered quickly. I think loksing is more suitable for me
What's funny is I bought one of the ITX n6005 boards from Loksing on Friday had shipping same day movement on the package update on Saturday estimated delivery this Friday. I found a backdoor to opening a dispute with aliexpress via there csr bot and the minute I did magically the carrier got my package from topton. I am just sending this warning out to everyone as I am not inexperienced in dealing with Chinese companies I use to buy stuff from global sources via requesting sample units some 24 years ago long before aliexpress ever existed. Topton customer service is the worst I have seen in years.

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
I don't see i7-1165g7 with i226 there
Because I think there isn't, only i225. Please read: Topton i5 1135G7 Mini PC i dont think it is a recommended buy. Maybe for the same reason there are not making any new version with i226. In the end the unit cannot cope with the heat and really needs active cooling.

Last edited:

yahyoh

Sep 9, 2022
What's funny is I bought one of the ITX n6005 boards from Loksing on Friday had shipping same day movement on the package update on Saturday estimated delivery this Friday. I found a backdoor to opening a dispute with aliexpress via there csr bot and the minute I did magically the carrier got my package from topton. I am just sending this warning out to everyone as I am not inexperienced in dealing with Chinese companies I use to buy stuff from global sources via requesting sample units some 24 years ago long before aliexpress ever existed. Topton customer service is the worst I have seen in years.
I mean topton has many storefronts, i dealt with Topton pc store. They were not that bad beside providing a fake tracking number to avoid the auto cancelation as it took around 10-12 days to ship the package. they were even replying to my messages quickly id say.

panchuz

Nov 29, 2022
is a go! Never knew that kind of free service. Thanks!

1. Boot into the builtin UEFI shell
2. Locate the USB drive containing the image and flash utility (fs0: then dir , fs1: then dir , repeat until you see the files)
3. cd to that drive
4. fpt -D old_bios.bin to backup old BIOS
5. fpt -f 1.bin to flash new BIOS
@p3kty could you please reload the file?

jawa78

Nov 6, 2022
I mean topton has many storefronts, i dealt with Topton pc store. They were not that bad beside providing a fake tracking number to avoid the auto cancelation as it took around 10-12 days to ship the package. they were even replying to my messages quickly id say.
Now they are giving me a cry story. That they did not have the item in stock though it said they had 600+ available when I ordered and it was my fault because of the 15 dollars I saved on the unit " Paid 163" for the barebones that they made 0 money on my order. Like some how it is my fault they did not price them right in the store and it may fault i use there own coupon they advertised. What a bunch of dishonorable people.

istwok

Nov 30, 2022
I ordered a Protectli FW4B on Cyber Monday right before I stumbled upon servethehome. I'm pretty sure I'm going to send it back now and get one of the boxes discussed here. My question is what is the real world, performance difference between the N5105 and J6413 boxes. They seem to be the most popular choices here but it's not clear to this newbie why to choose one over the other since they look so similarly speced.

T.Sharp

Oct 22, 2022
I ordered a Protectli FW4B on Cyber Monday right before I stumbled upon servethehome. I'm pretty sure I'm going to send it back now and get one of the boxes discussed here. My question is what is the real world, performance difference between the N5105 and J6413 boxes. They seem to be the most popular choices here but it's not clear to this newbie why to choose one over the other since they look so similarly speced.
The conclusion that Patrick came to in the videos, was that the slight boost in performance may be worth it if you want to run multiple things in a virtual environment, but for a bare metal router or basic VM configs, the N5105 is plenty for most people.

Doesn't seem to be worth the price difference imo.
If you really need more power for VMs etc., it's better to move up to Ryzen or i3/5/7 systems.

I actually picked up the N5100 version from the WooYi store on Ali, because it was ~$15 cheaper than the N5105, and it's close enough in performance to not matter for most people. The bios on these systems allows you to run all cores at what would typically be the max single core turbo speed, so the difference between 5100 and 5105 is 100MHz. In actual use, I have the CPU limited to ~1.6GHz to save power.

Last edited:

istwok

Nov 30, 2022
The conclusion that Patrick came to in the videos, was that the slight boost in performance may be worth it if you want to run multiple things in a virtual environment, but for a bare metal router or basic VM configs, the N5105 is plenty for most people.

Doesn't seem to be worth the price difference imo.
If you really need more power for VMs etc., it's better to move up to Ryzen or i3/5/7 systems.
Are you talking about the J6413 or the N6005? I saw the video where Patrick talked about the N5105 vs. the N6005. I haven't seen a video yet where he reviews the J6413 except to mention that he has received some review units but hasn't actually reviewed yet. Perhaps there is an article on the web site. I forgot to look there first.

FWIW, I do intend to run Proxmox. I will have VMs for pfSense or OPNsense, my company's VPN and possibly Pi-hole.