SAS836-TQ bracket?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Draskuul

Nov 25, 2022
I recently purchased a bare-board SAS836-TQ expecting to swap it out with the EL2 board currently in place (stupid me). Of course the brackets aren't compatible.

I haven't even been able to find a part number for the right bracket, let alone a source for one. Of course the EL2 one I currently have was easy to find, but not the TQ one.

Hopefully someone out there knows the part number or a source for one.

Thanks!

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I recently purchased a bare-board SAS836-TQ expecting to swap it out with the EL2 board currently in place (stupid me). Of course the brackets aren't compatible.

I haven't even been able to find a part number for the right bracket, let alone a source for one. Of course the EL2 one I currently have was easy to find, but not the TQ one.

Hopefully someone out there knows the part number or a source for one.

Thanks!
I need to check mine but - my recollection is that the BPN-SAS-836TQ does not have a metal frame/bracket.
Mine are all earlier rev (does not support rear 2.5" hot sway bay) so I have not looked at a newer rev to compare.
I believe that my BPN-SAS2-836EL1 does have a metal frame bracket - again would have to open one up to compare.

Draskuul

Nov 25, 2022
@itronin Thanks, now I feel like an idiot. I have another 836 with a TQ and I should have looked and would have realized this sooner!

I also have the earlier revisions on both cases, sadly. This has led to not having that rear 2.5 option (got PCI slot mounted ones instead) and trying to upgrade the PDB and finding the newer "wide edge" ones won't mount properly.

At least I have an answer now, thanks!

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@itronin Thanks, now I feel like an idiot. I have another 836 with a TQ and I should have looked and would have realized this sooner!

I also have the earlier revisions on both cases, sadly. This has led to not having that rear 2.5 option (got PCI slot mounted ones instead) and trying to upgrade the PDB and finding the newer "wide edge" ones won't mount properly.

At least I have an answer now, thanks!
FWIW I'm using 920Sq's in both of mine and they are circa 2010 or so (I think). old compellent chassis.

I'm using 2.5" (7 or 9.5mm) hot swap bays in the front. They replace the DVD bay and the normally blanked floppy bay. cost is about $40-50USD for each bay unless you can find them used (kinda like narwhal tusk).

Draskuul

Nov 25, 2022
FWIW I'm using 920Sq's in both of mine and they are circa 2010 or so (I think). old compellent chassis.

I'm using 2.5" (7 or 9.5mm) hot swap bays in the front. They replace the DVD bay and the normally blanked floppy bay. cost is about $40-50USD for each bay unless you can find them used (kinda like narwhal tusk).
Yeah, I'm using 920SQ's in my other one. I went to buy more and found a deal on some 1.2KW SQ's. I asked the seller first to make sure they were the right ones. They were indeed the right physical format, but with I think a 24-pin connector instead of the 19-pin connector on the 920SQ. So wider connector. I looked up the PDB for it, but it doesn't fit this chassis. I bent the mounting tabs around to make it work, but I'm going to just resell those power supplies, the PDB, and get more 920SQ's rather than end up with some janky setup. I should have cut my losses sooner.

Fortunately my next step with this chassis will be going with M.2 drives and won't get stuck with more 2.5" SATA SSDs.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Yeah, I'm using 920SQ's in my other one. I went to buy more and found a deal on some 1.2KW SQ's. I asked the seller first to make sure they were the right ones. They were indeed the right physical format, but with I think a 24-pin connector instead of the 19-pin connector on the 920SQ. So wider connector. I looked up the PDB for it, but it doesn't fit this chassis. I bent the mounting tabs around to make it work, but I'm going to just resell those power supplies, the PDB, and get more 920SQ's rather than end up with some janky setup. I should have cut my losses sooner.

Fortunately my next step with this chassis will be going with M.2 drives and won't get stuck with more 2.5" SATA SSDs.
the 920SQ's are quieter than the 1.2KW SQ's IMO so your ears will likely be happier.

I have two 836's with dual 10gbe cx3, 1 280g 900p, 2 x 3605, a tesla p4, and a 9400-16i, 2 x 1.6TB sata SSD, and 16 x 16TB SAS. Peak pull at power on is about 400w. Idle run is about 255w. even 920's are overkill.

Last edited:

Draskuul

Nov 25, 2022
the 920SQ's are quieter than the 1.2KW SQ's IMO so your ears will likely be happier.

I have two 836's with dual 10gbe cx3, 1 280g 900p, 2 x 3605, a tesla p4, and a 9400-16i, 2 x 1.6TB sata SSD, and 16 x 16TB SAS. Peak pull at power on is about 400w. Idle run is about 255w. even 960's are overkill.
Good to know. In my case the 920's are overkill as well, I only got the larger ones because it was so cheap. Oh well, at least I can probably get my money back reselling them.