Tesla P4 - 8GB / US$ 100 or even lower

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

63z5mgng

Nov 15, 2021
It can be used in different purposes with rather low power consumption as 75w only. Not everyone could afford hundreds of even thousand dollars for latest GPU. Why you judge people reusing some old parts fit their need.

Haters hate!

doughnet

Dec 24, 2018
Howdy. Know if this would work in Dell t3600? Can’t seem to find anywhere stating it can or someone has done it. Would be a nice upgrade from my p400.

Reactions: Samir

neobenedict

Oct 2, 2020

This GPU is basically ewaste edit: for gaming though... only useful when you need a low power half height GPU. If you have room/power budget for a full height GPU you can use github scripts to enable vGPU on them and they are way more powerful.

Last edited:

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com

I got mine from a different person on eBay for $100 a few weeks ago with the idea of it going into the main server for the kids to game/Blender on the user using Moonlight, etc.

It's now sitting in my Pop_OS 22.04 LTS desktop (that's Linux btw, for you Windows users) along side my VEGA64 and next to my dual PM1725.

The AMD components to get the proper rendering for Blender and FreeCAD fluid simulators don't come with Pop_os AMD version out of the box and while I tried one time, it still didn't work.

Just curious, I slapped the Nvidia P4 in, installed the Pop_os version of Nvidia, and everything works flawlessly - on Linux.

Eventually I'll get vGPU IOMMU working on the VEGA64 and I can move this card to the server.

---

I also picked up a broken Nvidia Tesla T4 for $50, newer generation of the P4 with 16GB of ram, that i'm going to try fixing (oven baking).

This will be the kid's 3d accelerator for local cloud gaming on their devices. They are currently using a VEGA64 for VMs, and it's way way overkill for dual 1080p kids games - everything pegged at 120 FPS, in both games at the same time, on two different devices!

I like these little cards. HHHL design, passive (needs a fan), and I can run them in the 1U and 2U servers. Wish AMD would make some that hits e-waste.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and 63z5mgng

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020

This GPU is basically ewaste though... only useful when you need a low power half height GPU. If you have room/power budget for a full height GPU you can use github scripts to enable vGPU on them and they are way more powerful. K80 is also a good shout, 24GB of video memory there for about $150.
Says the P4 is ewaste, proposes an unsupported Kepler K80. I loled.

You can get P40 with 24GB between 220 and 260 btw.

Reactions: 63z5mgng

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I also picked up a broken Nvidia Tesla T4 for $50, newer generation of the P4 with 16GB of ram, that i'm going to try fixing (oven baking).
DON'T DO THIS.

Baking GPUs is stupid, reckless and 99% of the time it will not fix the problem or even make it worse.

What does help however, is doing resistance checks, visual PCB checks or if the card runs, running Nvidia MATS:

63z5mgng

Nov 15, 2021
Says the P4 is ewaste, proposes an unsupported Kepler K80. I loled.

You can get P40 with 24GB between 220 and 260 btw.

I was searching from Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix and could not found k80. dont understand why people not even did small search before making nosense reply.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Does it not require a licence to run in ESXI?

Edit - yes if you want to run with VGPU:
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/xos4h8/_/iq0vwqd
I think Intel has an excellent opportunity to produce vGPU-compatible GPU hardware and work with VMware/Citrix to support it, but don't charge for VDI licensing besides hardware cost. Alas, this is nothing but wishful thinking, but if it ever becomes real - this should be a massive thorn in Nvidia's side and chance for Intel to make some $.