Resetting Brocade VDX 6740T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Trubyte

Apr 15, 2022
Thank you to both of you for the response. It a very random twist of fate, I was talking to a peer of mind about the 6730 what he knew about it since he works with Brocades a lot in his role. Long story short, discovered he wanted the 6730 to consolidate his switches with the FC and 10g he has and offered to trade me an ICX7250-48 which is perfect for me as it consolidates my switch situation. I personally think I got the better end of the deal :D but everything has a different value to each person. So I am up to date now on the 7250 as of today and a very happy camper :)

vitrag

Oct 13, 2022
India
Hello, i am new member to the forum, Just purchased some old VDX 6740T from ebay. These switches seems to have a password. Need your help to reset the password, 'fix' the licence so i can use the 40g ports and also maybe fix the switch to accept non brocade qsfp+.
Many thanks in advance for any help suggestions on the same.

Balteck

Mar 14, 2018
Go on first post and click on the guide Resetting ROOT Account on DELL website.

You will reset the users admin, user and root with default password.

The root account, disabled by default, is reserved for development and manufacturing.
The user account is read-only and used primarily for system monitoring.

Default administrative account names and passwords:
Account typeLogin namePassword
Administrativeadminpassword
User account (read-only)userpassword

Once logged as admin with:

"show version all", you will se the firmware version and the date of installation
"show license", you will see the licenses installed that you can copy before resetting to the factory default
"show dpod", you will see the ports with or without license reserved.

vitrag

Oct 13, 2022
India
Go on first post and click on the guide Resetting ROOT Account on DELL website.

You will reset the users admin, user and root with default password.

The root account, disabled by default, is reserved for development and manufacturing.
The user account is read-only and used primarily for system monitoring.

Default administrative account names and passwords:
Account typeLogin namePassword
Administrativeadminpassword
User account (read-only)userpassword

Once logged as admin with:

"show version all", you will se the firmware version and the date of installation
"show license", you will see the licenses installed that you can copy before resetting to the factory default
"show dpod", you will see the ports with or without license reserved.
Hello Balteck,

Many thanks for the response. the issuse is my switches have a Boot PROM password as well. it is asking me to send a character string to support. unable to enter command shell as well due to the same reasons.

Balteck

Mar 14, 2018
If root account is enable you can use this procedure:

Code:
Open a CLI session to the switch.
2. Log in as root.
3. At the prompt, enter the noscli command to start the Network OS command line.
switch:root> noscli
4. Enter global configuration mode.
switch# configure terminal
Entering configuration mode terminal
switch(config)#
5. Use the following syntax of the username command to reset passwords for the admin or user accounts, or for any other
nondefault users.
username account-name password new-password
The following example resets the admin password to the default value of "password."
switch(config)# username admin password password
You can now use the admin account to manage the admin and user passwords by using normal password-management procedures
The default password of root account is "fibranne".

vitrag

Oct 13, 2022
India
If root account is enable you can use this procedure:

Code:
Open a CLI session to the switch.
2. Log in as root.
3. At the prompt, enter the noscli command to start the Network OS command line.
switch:root> noscli
4. Enter global configuration mode.
switch# configure terminal
Entering configuration mode terminal
switch(config)#
5. Use the following syntax of the username command to reset passwords for the admin or user accounts, or for any other
nondefault users.
username account-name password new-password
The following example resets the admin password to the default value of "password."
switch(config)# username admin password password
You can now use the admin account to manage the admin and user passwords by using normal password-management procedures
The default password of root account is "fibranne".
Hello Baltek

Many thanks for the quik revert
default password for root is not working

i am completely locked out of the switch via normal boot and via bootloader (esc during boot steps)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
wrong password for root
you need a bootrom password reset code, which as far as I know can only be gotten from Extreme support as it's unique to the switch chassis serial. Alternatively, the boot prom password is stored on the internal CF card, so you can remove the cf card, put it in a cf card reader and wipe it (or just put in a new CF card, which is a good idea anyways because half the VDX's I've worked on had old failing CF cards) then it will boot without a bootrom password. Then you just do a cf card recovery procedure to flash a fresh OS: Q A: How to perform netinstall on VDX 6740 and 6940 via USB? | Extreme Portal

vitrag

Oct 13, 2022
India
Looks like a great idea, let me try this. Any specific specifications i need to consider before buying a cf card (make / model / capacity?)

vitrag

Oct 13, 2022
India
Hi
i have a total of 2 switches, tried the netinstall route with both of them, one of the switch seems to have a bad CF card and will have to wait for the card reader and new card to arrive (order them from local shop). the second switch is now back to life. Many thanks to @Balteck @fohdeesha. I now seems to have a wierd problem. i am using a forty gig DAC cable from mellanox Part Number MC2210130-001. This cable works fine with Dell and Arista switches but as soon as i plug the cable in 6470T (other end is still not connected), i get the following messages on the console

Code:
sw0(config)# Chip ioctl take more than 2 sec,before_lock 0xfff2167f,after_lock 0xfff21844,after_proc 0xfff21845,cmd 0x6270000,async:0
2022/10/18-12:09:29, [NSM-1028], 17009, SW/0 | Active | DCE, ERROR, sw0,  Incompatible SFP transceiver for interface FortyGigabitEthernet 1/0/50 is detected.
2022/10/18-12:09:33, [NSM-1020], 17010, SW/0 | Active | DCE, INFO, sw0,  Interface FortyGigabitEthernet 1/0/50 is administratively down.
2022/10/18-12:09:33, [NSM-1049], 17011, SW/0 | Active | DCE, ERROR, sw0, Interface fo0/50 is administratively down due to an exception (asic port fault) set.
do i need to use any specific QSPF+ modules / cables to work with this switch?

With Arista there is a command in the switch to make it accept 3rd party SFP's. Not sure if there is a workaround for Brocade as well.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Those of you who replaced the CF on the VDX, did you pay attention to the capability of the card? I found some Juniper devices require older DMA66 as opposed to DMA100 or else the OS would spit timeout errors in the log.