Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ech1965

Apr 3, 2011
Me is this Guy !!
Jus received the package 4th of Oct.
Ordered 15th of sep
mainboard is labeled CW-N5105-4L V4
no extra fee (vat, custom)
Replying to myself
Dear, I've installed windows 11 just to make some tests.
Drivers are missing for a few devices.
I found a couple of them on this site: 驱动下载
But others are still missing
Is there a "clean" site I can search somewhere ?

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Very confusing when looking on AliExpress ?!? o_O

Hard to tell which "Store" is which? Are they all the same?!? Are they all legit? That's what causes some hesitation when purchasing such devices from China:

Topton Computer Store
Topton 3C Store
Topton PC Store
Topton Official Store

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Very confusing when looking on AliExpress ?!? o_O

Hard to tell which "Store" is which? Are they all the same?!? Are they all legit? That's what causes some hesitation when purchasing such devices from China:

Topton Computer Store
Topton 3C Store
Topton PC Store
Topton Official Store
The simple answer there is to buy from CWWK ;)

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
The simple answer there is to buy from CWWK ;)
Easier said than done! I'm in Germany, and when I call up the link for CW - I get a poorly built German site - but when I click on any article, it jumps to aliexpress and said "article not available in your country!" :eek: So, NO-GO for Germany at least :(

Attachments

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
@rfox loksing.com.cn these sell cwwk boxes for europeans/germans.
It took 13 days to arrive for me to germany.
I was going to get the 6 port i5 from there^

Reactions: Heyaiiiiii

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
@rfox loksing.com.cn these sell cwwk boxes for europeans/germans.
It took 13 days to arrive for me to germany.
Thx - I checked that out as well! :oops: Not sure what a "Ryron" is, but they don't seem to have the 5825U on the list ?!? Even though it says it on the description. Doesn't bode well for integrity !?! ;) You're braver than me to take a leap of faith . . . what model did you buy and are you happy with it?

ryron.jpg

sko

Jun 11, 2021
Easier said than done! I'm in Germany, and when I call up the link for CW - I get a poorly built German site - but when I click on any article, it jumps to aliexpress and said "article not available in your country!" :eek: So, NO-GO for Germany at least :(
I have no idea why everyone is recommending CWWK store, but I've ordered twice from "Topton Official Store" (doesn't matter, all of them is Topton with the same business address...) and both orders arrived within 10 days in Germany without any extra fees.
They are also quite responsive and helpful if you contact them.

Reactions: rfox

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
I have no idea why everyone is recommending CWWK store, but I've ordered twice from "Topton Official Store" (doesn't matter, all of them is Topton with the same business address...) and both orders arrived within 10 days in Germany without any extra fees.
Thx! What did you end up buying and are you happy with it??

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
<snip> and both orders arrived within 10 days in Germany without any extra fees.
They added GST (the Australian version of VAT I guess) at the checkout though right? I found that some do and some don't.

sko

Jun 11, 2021
Thx! What did you end up buying and are you happy with it??
I've ordered
1x https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004531802311.html
and
4x https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004501531656.html

Had to file down the studs on the 'bigger' one and on 2 of the others. All running without any issues (2 as gateways/routers; 3 for a L2 VPN) with Open- and FreeBSD.

They added GST (the Australian version of VAT I guess) at the checkout though right? I found that some do and some don't.
Yes, thanks to stupid regulations the german VAT is already added and paid to aliexpress, so everything is 20% more expensive and none of that VAT ever reaches germany... 99% of all aliexpress orders before that dumb regulation also reached me without having to pay any vat/customs fee, because aliexpress and most stores had injection shipping anyways. So long story short: nothing changed except a 20% price increase compared to ~1 year ago...

Reactions: rfox and dazagrt

cat2devnull

Jun 30, 2022
but nobody here uses one of these mini pc for pfsense or opensense?
I would like a testimony from these people.
So I am not aware of anyone having issues with any of the N5105/N6005 units for bare metal pfSense/OpenSense.
If running in a VM then you need to make sure the host Linux kernel is at least 5.19.4 or higher.
Since I upgraded my Unraid box to 6.11.0 my pfsense VM has been rock solid. Prior it used to just kernel panic every couple of days.

If using a VM then you can create virtual ethernet interfaces or pass through the raw intel nics to the VM.
If you buy a v2 or v3 with the intel i225 nics then it will all work OOB.
If you buy a v4 with the intel i226 nics then you will need to use the pfSense 2.7.0 CE Development version as the i226 driver isn't in the BSD kernel used in 2.6 or the latest stable OpenSense I think works OOB as it is based off a more recent BSD kernel.

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
but nobody here uses one of these mini pc for pfsense or opensense?
I would like a testimony from these people.
opnSense is my goal. Just need to test proxmox for a week to rule out having any of the stability issues some people see.

wifi75

Oct 5, 2022
So I am not aware of anyone having issues with any of the N5105/N6005 units for bare metal pfSense/OpenSense.
If running in a VM then you need to make sure the host Linux kernel is at least 5.19.4 or higher.
Since I upgraded my Unraid box to 6.11.0 my pfsense VM has been rock solid. Prior it used to just kernel panic every couple of days.

If using a VM then you can create virtual ethernet interfaces or pass through the raw intel nics to the VM.
If you buy a v2 or v3 with the intel i225 nics then it will all work OOB.
If you buy a v4 with the intel i226 nics then you will need to use the pfSense 2.7.0 CE Development version as the i226 driver isn't in the BSD kernel used in 2.6 or the latest stable OpenSense I think works OOB as it is based off a more recent BSD kernel.
i will install pfsense in baremetal.
so you can confirm that the V4 version has no problems with the dissipation of the cpu?

cat2devnull

Jun 30, 2022
so you can confirm that the V4 version has no problems with the dissipation of the cpu?
I'm not sure what you mean by "dissipation of the CPU".
If you are referring to heat, then that's down to how much load you put on the system, what drive(s) you have, airflow +/- fan, ambient air temp, C state power levels, BIOS version, construction (some have gaps between the CPU and heatsink) , etc.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
I've ordered
1x https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004531802311.html
and
4x https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004501531656.html

Had to file down the studs on the 'bigger' one and on 2 of the others. All running without any issues (2 as gateways/routers; 3 for a L2 VPN) with Open- and FreeBSD.

Yes, thanks to stupid regulations the german VAT is already added and paid to aliexpress, so everything is 20% more expensive and none of that VAT ever reaches germany... 99% of all aliexpress orders before that dumb regulation also reached me without having to pay any vat/customs fee, because aliexpress and most stores had injection shipping anyways. So long story short: nothing changed except a 20% price increase compared to ~1 year ago...
Firstly, that's a hideous amount (20%) of added tax when shopping online. It's bad enough we have 10% GST in Australia.

The real reason for the reply is about the power button position on those ones you bought sko, have you ever bumped it while using the USB ports? I well understand you wouldn't access them much (read -> if at all) but stuff me the power button is in a stupid position!

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
topton was still shipping v3's for a while after cwwk starting shipping v4's .. I think that's why people were saying to order from cwwk so you are sure you get a v4.

sko

Jun 11, 2021
Firstly, that's a hideous amount (20%) of added tax when shopping online. It's bad enough we have 10% GST in Australia.

The real reason for the reply is about the power button position on those ones you bought sko, have you ever bumped it while using the USB ports? I well understand you wouldn't access them much (read -> if at all) but stuff me the power button is in a stupid position!
OK, VAT here is "only" 19%, but still...

The power button sits almost flush and has quite a bit of resistance, so i guess it's hard to really press it by accident. Apart from initial setup and installation I haven't plugged anything into the USB, so no, I never pressed it by accident.

The reason why I bought the 'V2' is that it is the only variant with a proper console port. IMHO that's a requirement for a networking appliance...

topton was still shipping v3's for a while after cwwk starting shipping v4's .. I think that's why people were saying to order from cwwk so you are sure you get a v4.
Actually those "versions" (except the new boards with I226) don't reflect any real "updates" but only the configuration of the peripheral connectors (USB, HDMI/DP, console...). There is nothing "newer" about e.g. v3 vs v2.
So just choose whichever variant suits your needs. E.g. if you want a proper serial console, take that variation...

Reactions: dazagrt