EU [DE] Fujitsu Futro S920 -> ~30€!!!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
It does have a pcie slot - which is why I mentioned that its more similar to the s920.
But its much more expensive than the s920, and also much more expensive than e.g. Dell wyse 5070 that has similar cpu and expansion if you buy the extended version.
And also the Wyse has better CPU
It does, but then the Wyse is also significantly newer. Although...the S920 with the GX424CC is only around the same ballpark as the GX420CA in the HP t620 Plus. so I consider them to be adjacent machines.

Reactions: Samir

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
It does, but then the Wyse is also significantly newer. Although...the S920 with the GX424CC is only around the same ballpark as the GX420CA in the HP t620 Plus. so I consider them to be adjacent machines.
Wyse 5070 has same generation CPU as the S740, so if its newer - its not by much I think - but anyway :)

Guillem

Nov 13, 2017
The Dell Wyse 5070 and the Futro S740 have options with the same CPU. As far as I'm aware you can get them with J4105 or J5005. Both are quite powerful for a fanless mini PC and TDP is 10W only so quite nice.

The Futro was being sold recently by piospartslap for about 40€ with 4GB of RAM which I think it's an amazing price. The m.2 port where the SSD comes attached by default is also wired for PCIe so you can run an nvme in there, although it has to be key b+m which does limit the options quite a bit as far as I know.

The other m.2 slot for the wifi is a+e and i've tried running an ethernet a+e from that port and even though it does power on it does not seem to be detected when the OS is booted. Maybe some sort of BIOS blocklist or similar. I've read reports of people doing something similar successfully on the industrial version of the board (D3544-Sx), but it has a different BIOS so that may be why.

What I have been able to confirm is that it is possible to run a SATA drive from one of the unsoldered ports but it does require some soldering (both the port and 4 capacitors). When soldered, the port does work and i've successfully run 2 SSDs (one m.2 one standard SATA) on the S740. In theory with some extra soldering you could run 2 SATA SSDs and 1 nvme drive, but based on my testing that does require a bit more soldering. I will probably test it soon and report back if anyone is interested.

The industrial version also has 2 ethernet ports, and considering the PCBs are the same it should be possible to add a second port to the S740.

Other than that I also love the fact that there is a PoE module for the Futro (albeit expensive at around 60e so more than the machine) with which you can power the device without the power brick just via PoE which is awesome. I don't think there's such option for the 5070 even though expension options on it are better than on the futro (adding an additional port on the 5070 is super easy as there's a card for it by Dell and it does have 2 SODIMM slots so I presume it may run with 32GB although i have not tried).

Last but not least the futro is limited (based on my testing) to 16GB of RAM. I do have a 32GB sodimm and the S740 did not boot with it installed.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Does anyone here put in a Graphic Card and see how the behave?
The Bios look like the support "external" Graphic Cards.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Wyse 5070 has same generation CPU as the S740, so if its newer - its not by much I think - but anyway :)
yeah, the stock S740 has the same exact CPU as the base 5070 (both of them are Gemini Lake Celeron J4105s). Had a brain fart, thought you are comparing the S920 with the Wyse. Anyways, I would say that the Futro is the better buy if you are in Europe, while the Wyse is more plentiful stateside. Both should be fine for lightweight server/hypervisor duties. Of course, if it's my money, I would gun for the S9011 if it's getting cheap somewhere down the line - that's probably like the European t740.

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
In case you guys missed it about two weeks ago the seller piospartslap on ebay.de listed the Fujitsu Futro S740 (J4105, 8GB RAM, 16 GB SSD) for 62€. Offers of 50€ were accepted and a Promocode "PROMORESTORE22" could be applied for a total of 45,90€. They still have listings, give it a try maybe it still works. They also have listings for lots of 10.

I know 46€ is 50% than the 30€ for a S920, but here you get a much newer CPU with more performance in a similar package. Just might suite your needs better.

Just FYI, I'm not affiliated with the store in any way.

Cheers!
Links? (hard to find stuff on .de from the usa :()

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
But the 424cc has much higher single thread performance compared to the 420ca/415ga and I feel the difference even though I'm just using my thin clients for just their stock purpose:

My Fujitsu is much faster than my Dells even though it's got the burden of win10 iot.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Does anyone here put in a Graphic Card and see how the behave?
The Bios look like the support "external" Graphic Cards.
So my S920 with the 424cc came with a w2100 gpu installed. I put win10 iot back on it and the gpu definitely helps. I actually have some w4100 I got cheap to try to upgrade and see if there's improvement, but they may also pull too much power and not work.

DieBlub

Dec 11, 2017
Reactions: Samir and Guillem

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
The Dell Wyse 5070 and the Futro S740 have options with the same CPU. As far as I'm aware you can get them with J4105 or J5005. Both are quite powerful for a fanless mini PC and TDP is 10W only so quite nice.
I think the Futro version with J5005 is called S940 - at least when I search for that on ebay I get J5005 versions and also pcie expansion possibility - I havent found any S740 with J5005 CPU's

What I have been able to confirm is that it is possible to run a SATA drive from one of the unsoldered ports but it does require some soldering (both the port and 4 capacitors). When soldered, the port does work and i've successfully run 2 SSDs (one m.2 one standard SATA) on the S740. In theory with some extra soldering you could run 2 SATA SSDs and 1 nvme drive, but based on my testing that does require a bit more soldering. I will probably test it soon and report back if anyone is interested.
That sounds interesting but very tedious :) Do you mean 2.5" SATA? And how do you power them?

Where on the motherboard are those ports?

Guillem

Nov 13, 2017
I think the Futro version with J5005 is called S940 - at least when I search for that on ebay I get J5005 versions and also pcie expansion possibility - I havent found any S740 with J5005 CPU's

That sounds interesting but very tedious :) Do you mean 2.5" SATA? And how do you power them?

Where on the motherboard are those ports?
You're indeed correct about J5005. I got confused with the industrial version which is available in -S1, -S2 and -S3 versions with different SoCs (J4005, J4105 and J5005).

Regarding SATA i meant 2.5" SATA indeed. The connectors are located on the bottom left corner of the PCB on the picture you posted where the PCB is seen on the top side. Next to the m.2 WiFI slot.

You can compare it to the industrial board: https://www.kontron.com/download/do...-s-mstx_20210129_datasheet.pdf&product=157718

And you will notice that it's the same PCB with just some more components populated and the rear audio port replaced with an intel i210 NIC (which I bet you can also install on the S740 but probably does involve quite some work)

On my testing I did power the 2.5" SATA using the USB port, but there is also a header on the industrial mobo for SATA power, but that does require soldering quite a few components so I would say that using the internal USB 3 header is perfectly acceptable.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Here you go: Fujitsu Futro S740 ThinClient Intel J4105 1.50GHz 8GB 16GB SSD Incl. Fuss & Netz | eBay

I read the have accepted 50€ offers. I hope shipping doesn't ruin the deal for you.

And for everyone else, there is also a lively discussion about it here: [refurbished] Fujitsu Futro S740 - Raspberry Pi Alternative - Mini PC / Home Server | mydealz
Thank you! I would have never found it. :) Shipping will always ruin the deal, but I still wanted to look at it and the deets. :) Look like really great units if they come as pictured. :)

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
So I install Win10 Embedded from the Fuji Repo page and yes it run quite nice even its just a dual Core!
Sure I open only one Software at the same Time maybe a Youtube Video to. Even HD is possible without any problem and a dual Monitor Setup.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
So I install Win10 Embedded from the Fuji Repo page and yes it run quite nice even its just a dual Core!
Sure I open only one Software at the same Time maybe a Youtube Video to. Even HD is possible without any problem and a dual Monitor Setup.
That's pretty great to hear for the just the dual core and no gpu. With the quad core 424cc and a w2100 gpu, it's definitely a usable machine. Especially since it is win 10 iot and isn't as bloated (until I updates itself, which can be turned off).

derTimJ

Aug 20, 2021
Other than that I also love the fact that there is a PoE module for the Futro (albeit expensive at around 60e so more than the machine) with which you can power the device without the power brick just via PoE which is awesome.
I think the S740 has the same wide voltage input (8-24V or something similar) as the regular Kontron boards, one of mine is running fine on a cheap 12V 2A PoE splitter
Used it as a 3rd node for the cluster, and placed it in the attic with bluetoothe & zigbee sticks attached, so it covers a bigger area :)

Reactions: Samir and Guillem

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Can someone recommend a Linux Distribution for Desktop usage?
What does everyone here who own them use them with?
I would like run some Software sadly I dont know much about Linux.