Mods please close this thanks

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
No netgear please
I would suggest you update your post with what brands you accept - just so others will not also receive a reply "No XX please".

Also I am curious why you don't like Netgear for homelab usage?

Granted its not a very advanced switch, but still for homelab usage unless you have very advanced requirements it should be plenty

Reactions: Samir

SadoKitten

Apr 26, 2018
iowa
ezsolutions.us
Because my cluster has 8 fiber ports and 2 rj45 10g ports per node , 8 nodes total . I wish to use those so I would like a switch to use them as well . I don’t like netgear and do not wish to use them after many bad experiences

Last edited:

SadoKitten

Apr 26, 2018
iowa
ezsolutions.us
@ezsolutionsinc what are your advanced requirements? Seems like @Bjorn Smith is more forthcoming with help than you are with describing the help you seek.

FYI just bought 2x 10Gbase-T switches with 8X SFP+ ports but don't know your price/brand preferences.
Any brand except for linksys, tplink, and netgear. The requirements are as follows

managed
10GBASE-T RJ45
24 ports or 48 ports
Fans
2 or 4 sfp+ 10g
Prefer dual power supplies but single will work

I do not need 1Gbt
I do not want to use the rj45 to optical adapters.

Last edited:

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Since OP never mentioned budget constraints, a Cisco SX550X-24 matches the ask.
Managed - [check]
Layer 3 [check]
20 10Gig RJ45 ports [check]
4x 10gig SFP+ ports [check]
Not linksys, tplink, and netgear [check]
For even more ports, SX550X-52-K9-NA

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Since OP never mentioned budget constraints, a Cisco SX550X-24 matches the ask.
Managed - [check]
Layer 3 [check]
20 10Gig RJ45 ports [check]
4x 10gig SFP+ ports [check]
Not linksys, tplink, and netgear [check]
For even more ports, SX550X-52-K9-NA
Except - he asked for 24 RJ45
My budsget is 1k or less
This is why its always good to present all the constraints, when you ask for help instead of people trying to help waste their time - and just end up with you saying no, not good enough - because it does not fit "constraint not mentioned originally"

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Except - he asked for 24 RJ45
a) He said he has a cluster of 8 nodes, with 2x 10gigT ports each - that's 16 10g EthT ports needed
b) I also gave an option for 52 ports version.

I guess OP has a bad time getting a viable answer since 10gigT isn't very common in the enterprise, and with good reasons. 10gig copper has a limited range and is much less reliable over longer cables. Even longer passive DACs cables are hit or miss. Most places would choose fiber for long-range and convenience of thinner and easier to run/manage cables. This is mainly why the second-hand market for 20+ 10gigT port switches doesn't exist, as it was super thin.

I wish OP good luck on his/her search and signing off from this thread.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
You're not going to see a $1k switch that has 24 x 10Gbase-T + 4 x 10G SFP switch - not with the current supply chain issues. Maybe if the supply chain crisis abates and Broadcom pushes out the new Trident/Tomahawk NPUs - we might get lucky and start seeing cheaper switches or newer ones that have 10G - or both.

Right now your best bet is to use something like an ICX-6610/6650 and end up spending $$$ for SFP transceivers. Or then buy a ICX-7650 - the ZP variant that has 24 x 10GBase-T and costs $3000 second hand.

The cheapest new and in-stock 10GBase-T switch I know that has 24 x 10G ports is S5860-24XB-U from FS.com. It's rebadged chinese stuff with their own OS and costs $3800 now (used to cost a lot less before the pandemic). Or you can wait patiently for Ubiquiti to release their high port count 10G switches

Reactions: Gnodu and Samir

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
I recently bought 2x Arista 7140T-8S-R units used, at $1k each, and they seem consistent with your goals.

Pricing on these units seems to be all over the place so you can get a decent deal if you can wait.

SadoKitten

Apr 26, 2018
iowa
ezsolutions.us
You're not going to see a $1k switch that has 24 x 10Gbase-T + 4 x 10G SFP switch - not with the current supply chain issues. Maybe if the supply chain crisis abates and Broadcom pushes out the new Trident/Tomahawk NPUs - we might get lucky and start seeing cheaper switches or newer ones that have 10G - or both.

Right now your best bet is to use something like an ICX-6610/6650 and end up spending $$$ for SFP transceivers. Or then buy a ICX-7650 - the ZP variant that has 24 x 10GBase-T and costs $3000 second hand.

The cheapest new and in-stock 10GBase-T switch I know that has 24 x 10G ports is S5860-24XB-U from FS.com. It's rebadged chinese stuff with their own OS and costs $3800 now (used to cost a lot less before the pandemic). Or you can wait patiently for Ubiquiti to release their high port count 10G switches
The supply chain issue has been ongoing for years, that's nothing new. Covid just brought more attention to it. There is also rj45 to optic adapters, ill order a bunch of those to try as well . The 66xx series are too old, however, but thanks for the idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.