M.2 to U.2/3 PCIe4x4

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
I have a NVME PCIe gen 4 SFF U.3 drive (U.2/U.3 use same cable) and I am hoping to plug it into an m.2 gen4 slot on Ryzen board using something like this:
plus cable Amphenol U.2 SFF-8639 to Mini-SAS SFF-8643

Will this work, will I get Gen 4 PCIe connection?

Has anyone used an M.2 to U.2 adaptor with PCIe 4.0x4 speeds?

I have the cable and the drive has shipped, need m.2 adaptor. If that doesn't work then I guess I go gen 4 PCIe slot with u.2/u.3 adaptor but I would rather use gen 4 m.2 slot and keep PCIe slot free.

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:

kathampy

Oct 25, 2017
Given the short length of the traces in those adapters, they will probably work at Gen 4 speeds. The PCIe x4 slot adapter is just a renamed Gen 3 adapter - it's been around for years.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Yes, I can confirm the Ableconn carrier does work at PCIe 4 speeds which I have been using for 3-4 months without an issue.

elaine

May 19, 2021
Yes, I can confirm the Ableconn carrier does work at PCIe 4 speeds which I have been using for 3-4 months without an issue.
Can you tell me why you changed your mind to use U.2 PCIe carrier to connect your Kioxia drive?
It seems that at first you bought a M.2 module, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D2PXUQA/, then after that you bought the U.2 PCIe carrier again, which you said works just fine.
Didn't the M.2 module and cable work? so bought U.2 PCIe carrier again? or is there any other reasons?

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Can you tell me why you changed your mind to use U.2 PCIe carrier to connect your Kioxia drive?
It seems that at first you bought a M.2 module, Amazon.com: Ableconn M2-U2-131 M.2 Module with SFF-8643 Mini-SAS HD 36Pin Connector for U.2 (SFF-8639) PCIe-NVMe SSD - Support Intel 750 2.5-inch U.2 SFF SSD: Computers & Accessories, then after that you bought the U.2 PCIe carrier again, which you said works just fine.
Didn't the M.2 module and cable work? so bought U.2 PCIe carrier again? or is there any other reasons?
The drive uses more power than a consumer drive and needs some airflow. The place in my mid tower case for 2.5 inch drives is hard to mount with the m.2 cable length and it does not have good airflow. So, I decided to use the carrier and put a lower front case fan that blows toward the PCIe area which is better cooling for the drive. Even so in my office with some 80+ days recently the drive can get to 60c when it is working hard.

Reactions: elaine

elaine

May 19, 2021
The drive uses more power than a consumer drive and needs some airflow. The place in my mid tower case for 2.5 inch drives is hard to mount with the m.2 cable length and it does not have good airflow. So, I decided to use the carrier and put a lower front case fan that blows toward the PCIe area which is better cooling for the drive. Even so in my office with some 80+ days recently the drive can get to 60c when it is working hard.
Thank you for the details.
I was so worried because I've ordered M.2 adapter and cable before I read your comments, and they were already on the way.
There was a little struggle though, I just finished to connect them with the latest Intel Optane P5800x, and works just fine at PCIe4.0.
Thanks again.

Leptir

Jun 3, 2022
Thank you for the details.
I was so worried because I've ordered M.2 adapter and cable before I read your comments, and they were already on the way.
There was a little struggle though, I just finished to connect them with the latest Intel Optane P5800x, and works just fine at PCIe4.0.
Thanks again.
Elaine, would you mind telling me exactly which adapter and cable you have? I'm also looking to connect a P5800x. Thank you!

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
P5800x uses up to 21watts be careful using m.2 adapter and putting it in place in case with poor airflow. You are better off with u.2 carrier in PCIe slot with better airflow.

Elaine, would you mind telling me exactly which adapter and cable you have? I'm also looking to connect a P5800x. Thank you!

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
Resurrecting this thread b/c for the life of me I can't find a m.2 to u.2 kit that runs @ PCI gen 4. Anyone know any 4.0 kits?

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
Doesn’t exist. The cables are too long for Gen 4.
Are you sure?

Are gen 4. I need a m.2 adapter to pci 4 and newegg has:

But I don't know if these are legit, guess there's only one way to find out

kathampy

Oct 25, 2017
They’re not really Gen 4. Many have been tested and they all produce CRC errors at Gen 4 speeds.

Server backplanes are the only validated Gen 4 connectors for these drives as of now.

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
They’re not really Gen 4. Many have been tested and they all produce CRC errors at Gen 4 speeds.

Server backplanes are the only validated Gen 4 connectors for these drives as of now.
Do you know of any way of seeing the CRC errors?

LiKenun

Nov 13, 2022
I turned on advanced error reporting (AER) in my Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme’s BIOS. The Windows Event Viewer application is where I go to look for PCI Express errors (if any). In the viewer, there is a Windows Logs folder and a log called System. PCI Express errors will show up with event ID 17 and source “WHEA-Logger.”

Reactions: Brian Puccio