Can somebody explain this stupidness to me?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
This is nothing new, I see it all the time. -

Capture123.PNG

How can Windows server 2012 R2 see a network device and yet say the path was not found when trying to connect to it? If it can't find the network path how the hell does it get listed in file manger???

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I was able to connect via the ip address so yea, it's a net bios issue. I need to stop using names. :(

Bruno Carvalho

Mar 12, 2020
I was able to connect via the ip address so yea, it's a net bios issue. I need to stop using names. :(
Your TrueNAS stay on the domain? or then is a FreeBSD (truenas) or Linux (truenas core) machine without domain? I ask because your image have a lot of disks (or letters) and I think you use truenas to manage your disks and for every permissions you probably use the WD2012... I wrong?

You has try to created a DNS type "A" entry on the DNS domain using the truenas ip?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
if it is a dns issue, just put the hostname and ip in the host file on the server to test. If that works, then you have a dns issue and you need to register the host and ip with dns as mentioned. you may need to clear dns cache on the box after adding dns record.
on windows open cmd in admin mode then ipconfig /flushdns

the path of the hosts file is usually located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
you will need to edit it with notepad or whatever text editor running in admin mode.
you will want to add a line item
#ip address hostname
192.168.0.1 truenas

change ip to match your truenas

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
cloudflare.

Problem was solved by using the ip address instead of the server name. I'm accessing the serve via the LAN only, no web access so Internet DNS doesn't matter.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Create some dns entries for sure... no issues here.

This is with TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1, though I haven't updated my hostnames since it changed from FreeNAS to TrueNAS.

1664217772535.png

kapone

May 23, 2015
1. Why is your DHCP/DNS server not resolving a hostname correctly? It should. If you don't have one. well, then it's a different beast.

2. I see you're using Stablebit Drivepool. In case you didn't know, you don't need to assign drive letters to the drives in the pool. Drivepool doesn't need it, and it makes it much cleaner to just see the Drivepool drive.

Reactions: name stolen