Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Ordered the N5105 i226 model from CWWK. Looking to run proxmox with openwrt, Adguard and maybe a few other light VMs.

Are these things fussy with NVME/RAM?

Thinking 16G RAM and a 256-512G Samsung 980 NVME?
Don't put a 980 in there unless it's the only one you have spare, heat is an issue in these things. A nice cheap WD Blue is a good option.

Oh, and remember that you can not run 2 Samsungs together (still)!

Last edited:

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
Don't put a 980 in there unless it's the only one you have spare, heat is an issue in these things. A nice cheap WD Blue is a good option.

ok, found the 500G version of that drive for cheap. Going to grab that.

This ok for RAM?

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
ok, found the 500G version of that drive for cheap. Going to grab that.

This ok for RAM?

Yes, I don't see why not. The only thing with running Proxmox is I would lean to the side of more RAM rather than less.

You mentioned only some light VMs but things might not always be that way. If you think things might change down the line but you are on a tight budget you could buy one stick of 16GB instead of 2 x 8GB, that would leave you an upgrade path.

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
Yes, I don't see why not. The only thing with running Proxmox is I would lean to the side of more RAM rather than less.

You mentioned only some light VMs but things might not always be that way. If you think things might change down the line but you are on a tight budget you could buy one stick of 16GB instead of 2 x 8GB, that would leave you an upgrade path.
This is true. I guess I should aim for the upgrade path. I just don't know what to expect with the abilities of this device.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
I just don't know what to expect with the abilities of this device.
Perhaps watch a few videos from that guy "whatsaname", hang on don't tell me, it's Ummm Peter, no Paul, was it Paxton? no Ummm, PATRICK!
There are at least 3 videos on this form factor from Serve-the-Home's YouTube channel, with some findings from Patrick that may help you, maybe check out this list.

Code:
Copy and paste this link to see the full list with the videos you want.
#
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGKnpARJNmc&list=PLC53fzn9608BEXuRQBb1Fz56TnGOoDmNr&ab_channel=ServeTheHome

Reactions: BrutusBoots

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
Perhaps watch a few videos from that guy "whatsaname", hang on don't tell me, it's Ummm Peter, no Paul, was it Paxton? no Ummm, PATRICK!
There are at least 3 videos on this form factor from Serve-the-Home's YouTube channel, with some findings from Patrick that may help you, maybe check out this list.

Code:
Copy and paste this link to see the full list with the videos you want.
#
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGKnpARJNmc&list=PLC53fzn9608BEXuRQBb1Fz56TnGOoDmNr&ab_channel=ServeTheHome
haha, yes I've watched them all. I guess what I'm saying is I don't know what to expect with the abilities of the device AND what exactly I'll do with it aside from routing. I am going to go with a single stick of 16G though so if I do decide to bump up I can easily.

Reactions: dazagrt

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
I will add that I wrote the CWWK store post order and said I'd like a grey one if it didn't add any shipping time and they replied within a few hours saying grey is no problem and they'll send it out today :cool:

Reactions: dazagrt

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
A normal 980, not a 980 Pro, has heat issues? I thought they ran pretty cool.
Sorry I can't check on that as everything 980 here is the Pro version.

edit; I thought the little 500GB ones were plain 980(s) but after checking they turned out to be Pro as well.

sko

Jun 11, 2021
from my experiences _all_ samsung nvmes run relatively hot compared to others.

I'm currently using mostly WD blue for several applications (clients, appliances, even smaller servers) - they offer very decent performance (especially when running in a ZFS mirror), good endurance for most SOHO-applications and VERY competetive market prices (e.g. I just ordered 2x500GB for 41EUR each and a few 256GB last week for 26EUR!).
The 2 SN550 500GB in my workstation at home are running at ~40-45°C without any additional cooling; the samsung 256GB I've replaced there never were under 60°C.

I haven't yet replaced an NVMe because it reached its maximum write endurance ratings, but several because they became too small and/or (much) larger ones have become dirt cheap.

dums

Aug 14, 2022

I have single 500GB Samsung 980 (not pro) in V3 box and so far had no issues with heat. Then again in my usage scenario it is mostly idling.
For ram I use 2 x "KINGSTON 16GB 2666MHz CL15 FURY Impact"

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
I ended up ordering this NVME

Crucial P2 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD Up to 2400MB/s - CT500P2SSD8

It's far from the fastest out there but it's plenty fast for this rig. It was super cheap and it looks like it uses significantly less power than even the WD Blue I was looking at so it should generate less heat.

Now just looking for a good deal on 16/32GB of RAM while I wait for the unit.

CMMK shipped it already which is nice. From ordered to shipped in ~5 hours.

neo243

Sep 14, 2022
Also just a temporal feedback to cwwk/loksing.com.cn they shipped it on the same day
and is now sitting in the outbound of yanwen.
Also loksing has the amd presale too now.
1663676251867.png

safado

Aug 21, 2020
Just an FYI I ordered from the Topton store on 8/25 (before I read this thread unfortunately) and received yesterday the V4 model with no apparent gaps or issues with the CPU. Awaiting memory & nvme to test.

bugmenot

Aug 14, 2017
Anyone using these with Proxmox and managed to get audio pass-through working? I have the N5105 V4 I226 model and can pass-through most devices without issue. I've managed to pass-through the iGPU to an Ubuntu guest but can't seem to get audio working.