Will Noctua NH-U12S with 2x Arctic P12s will cool 180W TDP CPU?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Like the title says,

Do you think a Noctua NH-U12S with 2x Arctic P12s slapped on it in push/pull will cool my new 180W TDP Epyc 7551P 32-core CPU? :oops:

I'm kind of skeptical myself

Although, it DOES look ike you can fit an assload of Arctic silver on this heat spreader... o_O

Thoughts?

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
if you manage the hot air go out of the case and not returning to the Cooler, yes.
Well, it's next to the PSU fan and that draws air out of the case, correct? I positioned the push-pull with the fans on the CPU so that it'd blow it directly into the PSU fan.

I think it should also be pulling air away from the PCIe slots. There's no case fans other than an 80mm exhaust on the back, but there's two hot-swap enclosures with high-pressure San Ace 92mm fans pulling air through the drives into the case.

I think it's OK for the most part, not really a server case with a whole mid-position fan bank or anything, but it seems adequate.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Yes.
You want a thin layer of thermal Grease, that connects the CPU and the heatsinks and removes Air (Bad at transfering Heat)
I think I might have used too much thermal paste, I seem to have a problem with that, lol

Have you had any torque issues on your socket? I'm trying to use a regular screwdriver (small) and I can get the screws threaded no problem, but I'm worried I might be clamping it down too hard, or unevenly. I haven't been able to get it to post. Tried two types of RAM now, DDR4 RDIMMs and LRDIMMS (both 2133mhz) (sorry to hijack own thread)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Well, it's next to the PSU fan and that draws air out of the case, correct?
not recommended. the Air can get very hot and will throttle your PSU(or shutdown, or damage if no temp protection)
check the Supermicro SNK-P0064AP4 - normaly a case has a FAN in the back to pull out the air from the CPU sooler.
Have you had any torque issues on your socket?
the socket is well known have some issues with screws, there are some tips on youtube, but al with torque scr.driver.
I haven't been able to get it to post. Tried two types of RAM now, DDR4 RDIMMs and LRDIMMS (both 2133mhz)
LRDIMM can have issues,2133mhz too.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I haven't been able to get it to post. Tried two types of RAM now, DDR4 RDIMMs and LRDIMMS (both 2133mhz) (sorry to hijack own thread)
check with other known working CPU, and or check the CPU on other motherboard.
forgot to remove some motherboard standoffs ?
we still not know type your motherboard, BIOS supports EPYC 7001 ?

Reactions: AveryFreeman

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
check with other known working CPU, and or check the CPU on other motherboard.
forgot to remove some motherboard standoffs ?
we still not know type your motherboard, BIOS supports EPYC 7001 ?
Yeah I've had a standoff short out a board before, so I'm pretty careful about it. Luckily it still worked afterward. I don't think there are any that aren't screwed in, but I'll double check.

The board is the h11ssl-i and the CPU is a 7551P which is Naples (1st gen). I have Micron SM-verified (for X10SRL-F) and 2 types of Samsung RDIMMs, and also Samsung LRDIMMs, all 4 sticks of each. I installed the memory interleaved as described in the manual.

I think it's pretty odd that it's not working, I've never had a board power up and fan run without getting some feedback, like beeps or something. Supermicro boards all beep from their built-in speaker.

At least that'd give me some indication of what's happening, but instead all I get is running CPU fan, blinking ipmi led, solid power led (on board)

No POST, no IPMI on my network AFAICT, and no beeps.

Thanks for your feedback

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I think it's pretty odd that it's not working, I've never had a board power up and fan run without getting some feedback, like beeps or something. Supermicro boards all beep from their built-in speaker.
the FANs are managed by the BMC not CPU. the onboard speaker can be disables, and afaik some X11/h11 and up do beep only on errors.
the seller should adjusted the IPMI to DHCP and your router gives an IP, check the router for the MAC (sticker on mainboard)
there is a dedicated LAN port for IPMI - the one with the 2 USB ports unter it.